Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

I also think once I get back to building in the hobby room that I will probably get a lot more done if I am working and listening to the radio :lol:

:lol:Only way to go Chris....too many distractions don't gel with model building. :D Take that from someone that knows............... :lol: ;)

Looking mighty fine though Chris, you're definitely gonna have a show stopper when you get done. B) Looking forward to more mate.

Greg... You are right Mate with the distractions you don't get as much done. Thanks for the kind words on this, I sure hope that it can be a show stopper. I can't wait to get some of this engine block painted. I finally received my filter/regulator for my air compressor earlier this week. Now I can hopefully get some things painted. well it wasn't stopping me from using it but I wanted to be able to turn the pressure down lower than 40 psi since a good deal of these engine parts will be painted with Alclad and should be shot at a lower pressure.

David.... yes this is getting to the good stuff. I really enjoy tinkering on the engines. Robert at RB Motion does some killer work on his parts and his A/N fittings are the best.

Danny... thank you for the kind words. I am trying to do this car justice. I feel honored by everyone here saying how nice this build is so far. I am teying to do my best on it and it will be my best build i have done to date with the most detail too.

Scott... you know it totally depends on my mood when building. I listen to all kind of music from classic rock, rock, country, alternative, some hip hop.

well guys I did make some progress last night but I wasnt able to get the pics posted last nifht. I was too tired when I quit at Midnight...lol. but I did get my jig made forbthe.engine to.sit where i want it too. I got the mid plate hole drilled to mount to the.chassis and started drilling the.hole to moint the motor tobthe midplate. cant wait to finish that up when I get home. I will post pics later.

As many hours you have put into this car, I think a break now and then is well deserved! The amount of detail on your car is amazing, and I can see the planning (and imagination) you've put into it!

PS I bet you'd get super motivated/detailed/talented if you work on it while you listen to "Royal Jam" by the Crusaders :lol:

Richard.... sorry to make you wait so long but got some pics to show ya ;)

Joe.... Thanks Joe.... you are right sometimes a break to clear your head gives you new fuel in the tank to get past something that you couldn't see at first. There has been quite a bit of planning with this build figuring out what I am gonna do as well as what colors will be used.

Well guys I have a few quick shots to show you before I go sit down at the bench and get more done on this. These pics were from last night that I didn't get to post until now. will let the pics do the talking now. :)

I started out by drilling and tapping holes in the block to attach the heads and the manifold. I am using 00-90 size bolts. It's a great way to mock things up since I seem to put it together and take it apart quite a bit at this point. I was getting tired of taping it and taking off, taping it together again, taking the tape back off :lol::

2v2uJyRNsxAhe9C.jpg

I then got the holes transfer drilled in to the mid plate and placed bolts in to do a fit check. But before i did that I had to drill out the holes in the tabs and let me tell you it wasn't fun trying to drill them with just the drill bit and being so close to the frame rails. It must of took me at least an hour or more just messing with these holes :angry: :lol::

2v2uJyRrPxAhe9C.jpg

After that it was time to make my little engine jig to hold the engine at the height that I want it to sit in the chassis. This will help me drill the holes in the mid plate as well as get it lined up with the block and the bell housing:

2v2uJys27xAhe9C.jpg

Here is a couple of shots of the engine sitting on the Jig:

2v2uJys9kxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJysuixAhe9C.jpg

Here I have set the mid-plate in place with the hardware. Then I stuck the jig in between the frame rails, set the engine down on it. I realized that I needed to open the hole up on the center of the mid plate to allow the tubing that I am using to line up the block, bell housing and lenco tranny. I made it free floating so that I could get the holes drilled in the proper place. This was one of those things I kept thinking about and for a little while I wasn't sure how I was gonna do it and it sorta just click with me this week and I was like :o that is how I should do it. The light bulb went off in my head :D. I was like its about time :rolleyes: hahaha :lol::

2v2uJyRMDxAhe9C.jpg

Well I am off to the bench to go transfer drill these holes and do some other work to the engine. I should have some more pics a little later for everyone.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Well Guys I was able to get some more bench time in and got the rest of Bell housing done with the bolts and drilling holes. now my next step is to move back to the front motor mounts and redo those now. Here are a few more pics.....

Here is the Mid-Plate after I transfer drilled the hole in them. Don't mind that there are a few extra holes there, I sorta didn't start out in the right spot last night :unsure::lol: and the reason why I stopped there and fixed it tonight :

2v2uJysJDxAhe9C.jpg

After getting the holes drilled for the bell housing, It came to me I might as well bolt the plate up to the back of the block, so I added three 00-90 bolts to the back to mount it to the block:

2v2uJysHmxAhe9C.jpg

After that I ended up cutting a couple of pockets in the bell housing which you don't see that would clear the bolt heads. Then it was time to put the Nut & Stud in place to test fit it:. I am very pleased with the results:

2v2uJyseRxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJysZsxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Wicked work Chris, B)

I found it quite handy bolting all the main parts together on my Camaro, as I had that motor in pieces more than I care to remember.. :lol:

Plus it will save you any heart ache should some errant glue get loose during assembly. :) ;)

Stellar update mate.

Thanks everyone. Feels great that i am making progress. now I cant wait to get some paint on the engine but I am trying to get all of the fab work done on it first since i am handling it quite a bit with all i am doing on it

Scott... I almost hate to have to paint the headers because of how happy i was with the way they turned out.

Hello All...

Sorry I haven't posted much in the past week but I sat down at the bench last night and did a little work. Took pics but didn't have time to post last night. Made a little progress... not much but pretty cool what i worked on. Gonna get back on work on it more after posting these pics.

I started out by drilling the oil pan for the RB Motion fitting, can't wait to get the fittings painted:

2v2uJysbkxAhe9C.jpg

I decided that I would start working on the oil pan gasket next. I started out with a 3x5 index card. I then laid the oil pan on it and traced the shape with a pencil. Then I took my xacto knife and cut it out:

2v2uJysKixAhe9C.jpg

I then laid the oil pan back onto the gasket and took my pin vise and drilled the holes into the gasket:

2v2uJysp4xAhe9C.jpg

Next I cut the center section of the gasket out with my xacto:

2v2uJyscmxAhe9C.jpg

After that I decided to color it with a black Sharpie for a base before painting it a tan color:

2v2uJyswTxAhe9C.jpg

Once I painted the tan color on, I took flat black and did a little bit of a dry brush tap on it to try and create a cork looking pattern. I probably would of been better off if i would of misted flat black from a spray can from a distance to create this look, but happy with the outcome:

2v2uJysfRxAhe9C.jpg

I then had to set it on the oil pan to check it out:

2v2uJysBPxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs