Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Arron... Thank you. I know it wasnt much of an update but was very excited ro get to squirt a little paint on the car.

John... my brother what can I say. I didnt mean for you to get things dirty... lol

Joe... thank you I felt so good to paint somehing more than primer. I almost forgot what it was like to spray color...haha

Bob... thank you

John... sorry I stole a couple of yoir minions away for a few to help me paint those parts. They should be in their way back to you ;)

Danno.... thank you my friend.

Mike... thank you for the kind words. It means alot.

Dave... thank you. I sure am trying on the details.

Art... thanks Brother I am planning on hitting the bench shortly after I get home from work this afternoon.

Mark... thank you. I have to admit after getting these few parts painted it has put some motivation back in me. It felt so good to spray sometging more than primer... lol and I am itching to lay down some more paint already.

Tim... Thank you. After going back and looking at the pics. That blue does stand out from the black and aluminum on the other parts. It gives a great contrast so far.

Ep... thank you. After a lot of research i have been digging in for the blue on the body. I couldnt tell if it was a metallic or solid color and I came to the solution with help from some other that it was a solid. I had my local PPG auto paint supply store mix up a base color that was close to the pics I showed them. Honestly I would love to know the exact color that was used that way I get it correct. I may try another source to see if I could find out the exact color.

Steve... Thank you.

Chris, you use a Badger 200 single action to paint with? Been using that gun for over 15 yrs, most reliable gun out there - cheap too! Worn out one gun and replaced it two more. Don't get me wrong as I also have Paasche & Iawata dual action guns too. That Badger is a real work horse though. Are your House of Color paints catalyzed? My experience with HOC paints isn't good and I think it is the thinner I've used, too hot. Local auto supplier sold me some acrylic lacquer thinner that I have yet to use. What do you think? Oh, almost forgot...great progress.

Mark... Thank you for checking in my friend. It's great to hear from you. I have had that Badger Model 200 for over 20 years and its my go to airbrush. I had to send it into badger maybe 2 years ago and they fixed it and all it cost was 8 to 10 bucks for the shipping. They had to change the seal inside the gun and they also sent it back with a new style head on it. Since then I have actually picked up two more that I found on ebay. Once which I am only going to shoot my clear and innercoat clear out of and the other that I am debating just shooting solid colors out of. I also picked up an Iwata Neo Gen from Hobby Lobby that I didn't spend much on to try it out. Although I am not as comfortable with it as I am with my badger. My house of Kolor paints that I am spraying are mostly all base coats and I use either the 311 (medium Reducer) or 312 (slow reducer) depending on the tempurature it is outside and I haven't had any problems with them what so ever. The clear I spray over them is PPG concept 2020 that I have had for quite some time. I bought a quart of clear years ago and its lasted a long time. every so often I need to buy new catalyst for it since it can go bad. IF you want I can take a pic and post of the reducers for you. By the way have you been able to work on any of your 1/16 scale builds. I am itching to see if you have gotten more progress on that altered you were working on. Hope all is well.

Paul... I have never tried using regular lacquer thinner to reduce my HOK paints. Guess I am not brave enough to try.... lol

Ok Fellas.... got a little bench time in this weekend and worked on a few various items I had hanging over my head to fix...lol. Let me just get right to the pics since I have a bunch for you guys.

Well here is some stencils that I ran across on ebay and had to order them to see if they would work for what I wanted. These are actually 1/12th scale stencils but I asked the seller on the measurements and thought they would possibly work for my need:

DP-Army-Vega6336-1_zps3fcbea58.jpg

Here they are out of the bag. I didn't realize they had two different sizes:

DP-Army-Vega6338-1_zps4f486d77.jpg

And here is me fitting them up to the rear slicks for the car, I was so stoked that the larger one will work for my application. I have been wanting to find or possibly even make a stencil that I could paint the lettering on the tires instead of using decals:

DP-Army-Vega6340-1_zps0e6c442c.jpg

Then I started messing around with making brackets for the parachute release lever I have from Future Attraction's Cockpit controls photo-etch set. I used some other photo-etch pieces from Pro Techs throttle linkage set to make the mounting base from:

DP-Army-Vega6343-1_zpscfa8d06f.jpg

Here is a view of the parachute lever from the opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega6345-1_zps20740e83.jpg

I also worked on sanding my tins and getting them primers. As well as adding some primer to the fuel tank again and the gas pedal. I have noticed I have to do a little more body work on body the tank and gas pedal:

DP-Army-Vega6351-1_zpsb29a668b.jpg

Then I decided it was time to start to remake the bottom tin work for the chassis. Here is my original template for my old piece which I had traced onto a piece of aluminum printing plate:

DP-Army-Vega6353-1_zps443d6da2.jpg

Here it is once I had cut it out:

DP-Army-Vega6356-1_zps4f00ca52.jpg

Here I was test fitting it and getting it marked to drill the holes into it, making sure I would get then lined up right:

DP-Army-Vega6358-1_zps53d63006.jpg

Here is the opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega6365-1_zps7653e861.jpg

The new Aluminum tin plate, looked liked some did a Burnout on it :lol::D

Maybe Chris was testing his Front Engine Dragster build..? :lol::D Really, it looks like it could be fired up & driven any moment and I'm sure this Funny Car will do the same when it's done. Super nice work all over, those tins look really nice and smooth. Keep it coming!

Chris - No real progress on any of my personal builds. You know I had a post here on MCM for the Jewel T altered build, but like so many of my builds get back-burned for other efforts. Resin parts production is at the top right now. Keep up your great effort on this project.

Mike... thank you. It felt good getting in a little bench time over the weekend although it wasn't as much as I was hoping for. It was great to chat on the phone last night. I am looking forward to getting to the bench tonight and I am debating what I should work on...lol

Niko... thank you my friend. I dont know who it was that fired up the dragster...lol maybe my dog got bored and wanted to play while I was at work... haha. Now my tins just need to be wet sanded and painted. If I am lucky I might get to paint them this weekend.

Mark... I have enjoyed watching that Jewel T project come to life. I understand about builds being pushed to the back burner due to other things you are working on. I have said this many times before but your resin engines are the best in this business hands down. This army build would not be what it is without your engine. I know there are more engines I want to get from you down the road for other builds. Hopefully you will be able to sneak a little time here and there on some of your own builds. I know I was telling Mike Garland the same thing that I wanted to see him build something for himself since he has been doing alot for other customers. Anyway I look forward to seeing more progress on your builds and parts.

Edited by Mooneyzs