Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hey Chris That belt looks great!  This thing is amazing all the details, the fixes, tweaking, the little details you picked up on that a lot of people would not have even seen is just crazy.  Like others have said...Hey if its not done for the DCS  the way YOU want it done....thats all good...Build it to your specs and happiness cause in the end that's all that matters.

Plus we will get to see it still on the WIP table.....Which means there is still a change for everyone else to get Best of Show! Haha

I will try to respond to everyone when I get home from work. since I don't have time on my lunch break right now. So I have a quick Lunch Teaser with some pics of the Snorkel I have been working on for the hood of the body. Anyway I started by creating a pattern in Solidworks so I could get the curves the way I wanted them. I then printed it out 1:1 and cut it out for a template. I then took a fine tip sharpie traced around the template on the body and then I used some fine line tape and followed the line so That I knew where I wanted the end of the snorkel to be. I then used Magic Sculpt which is a 2 part clay stuff that you mix equal amounts and then you can shape and form it. I worked it for about 2 hours sculpting and shaping the snorkel. and what you see her is what I got done last night. Hoping that I won't  have any issues or trouble pulling it off the body. Here are a few pics to share....

This is the start of the process after I had laid the pattern onto the body and got it all taped off. I ended up using Bare Metal Foil as a barrier so that the Magic sculpt would not adhere to the body:

Here is the Handy Dandy Material I am using to create the Snorkel:

Here is the snorkel after I going to a point where I was happy with the basic shape. I will have to go back and sand and body work it some more:

See Previous page for the start of the snorkle

Knowing me I had to do a test fix to see how things looked. SO I placed the body on the chassis to see how things looked:

DP-Army-Vega%207528-1_zpssyvgntwr.jpg

Other Side:

DP-Army-Vega%207529-1_zpsy0fkjjwt.jpg

Here is the front view and was making sure that it would clear the Barrel Valve and linkages. I will still probably sand some away from the inside to give even more clearance:

DP-Army-Vega%207530-1_zpsr5u9w2ot.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bob... thank you. I have to say that it is not too bad to work with.

Randy D... Thank you buddy. I am getting closer one step at a time. Looking forward to see you in little over a month....

John... Thanks Brother!!! I always appreciate you checking in.

Clint... Thank you. I have got to admit that this is the first time that I have ever used it. It wasn't too bad either. My part is not perfect but good enough at this point, I will be able to use it and do some body work to it by adding some body filler to it.

Bruce... Thank you.

Ray... thank you very much. I sure hope you are able to make it out to the show next month. It will be great to see you again. The funny car will be there and I am pushing hard at having it done but at this point I can't make any promises that it will be done. My goal is to have it done though.