Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Well Fellas.... It's time for another update... It won't seem like much but it is another thing checked off the list. I think I got the Steering wheel pretty much done but I am thinking about redoing the bolts because I am not 100% happy with them. But after what seemed like 4 different times repainting the steering wheel I finally and happy with how it turned out. Here is what it looks like....

I started out with some Pro Tech photo-etch bolts to put on the steering wheel:

Here is the steering wheel with the wood grips installed:

Then I had to put it on the car to see it all mocked up together:

Seth... Thank you.

Art.... Thanks Brother!

Bob... thank you. Just glad to have it done.

Joe... thanks... I ended up using paint to create the darker color in the grip. If I was to do this again on another build I would actually pick up some wood Stain. I think that would of looked better. And it just dawned on me thst I bet they make stain for model rail roads. I could aways get some from home Depot or Lowe's but  no way I need a big Ole can of it... lol

Mike... thank you. You are more than welcome to sit in it when it cackled or if you wanted to take it for a pass.

Brad... Thanks Brother! Yes now I can move past this part and work on the next. It fought me part of the way but glad to have it done. Now hopefully to get back to some details for the engine. I.have a bunch of little things I need to check of the list...lol

Bill... thanks, I think it would look even better with the rest of the fire bottle details... the knob, release pins and nozzles.

Brad... it wold be a kick in the pants to take it for a spin.

Curt... that makes me.think of that commercial with Michael Waltrip for I believe Aarons 

Jimmy... thank you so much. You know I still want to take you up on your offer. I know you have had a lot going on and I didn't want to impose on you.

Scott... thank you very much. It is a small update but with out your awesome photo-etch parts this wouldn't of turned out a good. Thanks again brother.

Alright Fellas.... I got a little more to share with you all. Over the past few days I have been able to finish up the details on the Fire Suppression System. Feels good to have all of the fabrication done with it. Now it just needs to be assembled and glued together. What I am showing here is just mocked up with nothing glued yet. This has turned out better than I expected.

Well first off here are all of the pieces that make up the fire bottle assembly with the valve and nozzle:

Here it is assembled for mock up purposes:

Here is a somewhat close up of the reusable cotter pin. The rod that I used was a 1/32" diameter rod that I drilled with a .013" drill bit (No. 80 Drill bit) so that I could stick the cotter pin thru:

Here is a close up shot of the Fire bottle nozzle. where you see the opening that I made I will be adding a black wash in it to help make it look a little more realistic:

Now here are a few mock ups with the fire bottle in the chassis. I was anxious to see what it would look like in the car:

Here is the view with the Nozzle:

And I tired to get a straight on side shot as well. I also need to paint the upper portion of the steering shaft black and then polish the tube in between the file bottle mounting brackets: