Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Bob... Thank you!

Niko... Thank you my friend. I sure hope this could pass as a 1:1 when done...lol

Robin... Thank you for for taking the time to read all the way thru and catch up on this build. I know its a lot of reading to do.

Joe... thank you

Danno... Thanks

Dave.... Thank you.

John... Thanks Brother. Well I don't know if I will say Outstanding... you will see in my next post.....

Mike... Thank you for the encouraging words.

Art... Thank you my friend. Great to hear from you

Mike.... Thank you.

Well guys after a few days away from this build I figured it was time to get back to it and do some more work on the tins. I was starting to stand the primer and going to add some more bondo to make this tin work look better...... Well I had a major hiccup and at the moment I am pretty pissed-off at myself and feel like boxing this up or at least putting the tin work aside and working on something else. After sanding the tin work before I was going to add some bondo to it, I decided to rinse the tins off with water to clean all of the sanding dust off it and well some how and I haven't a clue how I did it but I snapped it in to two. No idea how I broke it but I did and very disappointed at myself at the moment. I know its not that bad but after all of the hours I have put into this part and am really mad at myself. Anyway here is the damage......

DP-Army-Vega5378-1_zpsfdfa5bea.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your setback, Chris. I feel your pain, after having dropped my Fairmont earlier this year. I know what it's like, too, to be upset with onesself because of what is seen as an unnecessary accident. All I can say is I'm sure you'll get over the frustration and will be back in the saddle again - probably in no time. On a positive note, everything is looking incredible...

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!For you Chris this just a bump in the road! With your skillful hands you will have it back together in no time! STEP AWAY from the box you may put it in!!!! take a deep breath, and let it go!!!!! I look forward to the upcoming progress, I should say we!!!! Their are many of us who are watching this build in amazement. We all feel your pain, However we are pulling for you!!!!! get busy

Respectfully jwrass

Ouch, that's a Bummer! :( I'm sorry to hear that, but I know you'll be able to fix that one soon. As someone said, it was good it wasn't painted and riveted. I dropped a completed chassis by an accident, too a while ago so I know how it feels. Well it's just a little speed bump, I know you'll fix it so that it looks perfect! ;)

Hey Everyone.... I just wanted to say thank you all for your support. I was pretty upset with myself yesterday with what happened to the Tins and took a break from the build yesterday. I know it wasnt the end of the world but it can be fixed. Today is a new day and last night I looked at the broken parts and came up with a solution to fix it. I won't let this little hiccup get me and I will over come it. I let myself become discouraged because i have so many hours in this tin work and felt I was really close to being done with it and honestly i am so tired of working on it and ready to have it finished and painted.but I know I will have to put some extra time into it now. Hopefully I will get some time tonight but i have some house chores that I need to do once i get off work.

Chris;

Judging by how many "problem areas" you've already addressed and fixed successfully on this build, there's no doubt you will fix this one too....When it comes to modeling, you've shown yourself to be an accomplished problem solver over and over again....Which most definitely gives me and probably many others on this board encouragement when we hit a snag in our exploits with styrene....Good luck and let the tin reinforcement begin!!!

Chris;

Judging by how many "problem areas" you've already addressed and fixed successfully on this build, there's no doubt you will fix this one too....When it comes to modeling, you've shown yourself to be an accomplished problem solver over and over again....Which most definitely gives me and probably many others on this board encouragement when we hit a snag in our exploits with styrene....Good luck and let the tin reinforcement begin!!!

Very well said, Lee! Very true.

Brad... Thank you for your support. You are right that it is not much to fix it. It will be like new soon. Hopefully even better and stronger.

John.... oh man I could only imagine how you felt when that happened.

Lee... Thank you so much for the kind words. I really enjoy showing everyone this build step by step progress and glad it can be encouraging even when Things like this happen. I want to show that I am no where near perfect when it comes to building and how some things I need to redo because it didn't turn out the way I wanted or the fact that I broke something and had to fix it...lol Thank you for following along.

Danno... Thank you.

Art.... Thank you my friend. What can I say but you are right that this is part of modeling with hitting snags at times and an ordinary day at the bench. I know when we go thru things like this it tends to help us become better modelers by learning from mistakes that we have made along the way. Usually building models is really relaxing for me an this mistake of me breaking the tins got me down for a day or so but I am back at the bench ready to get back on this bad boy.

Well fellas.... I wanted to let you know that I got back to the bench on this build tonight for a little bit and went straight at it with fixing the tins. I just needed a day or two away and missed this build too much...lol I have started on the fix and although its not 100% fixed yet but its on its way. I did get the tins glued back together but I have decided to leave it in the body over night before trying to pull it out and put glue on the other side. Although it probably won't go anywhere since I decided to fix it with super glue...lol Here are a couple of pics to share....

Here I have placed the 2 pieces of the tins in the body to see how I will do things:

DP-Army-Vega5379-1_zps7ac5849b.jpg

Next you can sorta see some of the super glue that I used on the top portion of the tins. I put some super glue on the edges that were butting up to one another and then I went back and went along the seam with super glue then hit it with a little kicker to make sure it had a good bond. Then I decided to put another little small layer of super glue on it again after I had both sides done...lol:

DP-Army-Vega5385-1_zpsb05671a9.jpg

While gluing the pieces back together, I really wanted to add a stiffener in the mix just to make sure it doesn't break on me again. So what you see is an idea that I am going to take a piece of plastic that is .010" thick x .188 Wide I am going to use as a stiffener. I will bend the piece to fit the contour of the tins and I will superglue in place. Then I will go back and then drill the holes back in for the rivets. It should be much stronger when done:

DP-Army-Vega5388-1_zps9f397b1e.jpg

I am pretty sure there is a side bet on how many pages there will be when this build is done...lol

When it gets done? Wow!! The thought never even occurred to me..LOL

You just keep banging away Chris. I know it will get done and hopefully end up in a building in SLC someday.

Bob... Thank you. It's on it's way and hopefully it will be done soon.

Mike... Thank you for the kind words and support Brother. I have to give God the credit and glory on the talent although I know there's are so man better builders than me.