Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Dave... thank you my friend. I wasnt gonna let this little bump in the road get in the way. I was just really hard on myself when i broke it and was mad at myself. I know it will feel good when its all fixed. I am gonna try to get the fix done this afternoon once I get home from work.

Chris;

A mildy humorous thought came to me relative to gasser59's post above about getting it done;

When it finally does get completed, you might want to consider taking out a small insurance policy on this thing given all the blood, sweat and $$$ you've invested in her!!.... :lol:, Heck, people insure their artwork all the time!!

Glad to see the additional stiffener reinforcement at the joints, good call....

220... That's my number of pages guess to finish this very detailed build!.....There is still a ways to go before this one can be considered finished! ( I mean that all in a very good way also) I will almost hate to see it done being this is my favorite thread to check on every time I log on. So when that sad day (for me) comes when this one is moved to the Under Glass section I only hope you start another similar build ASAP!

The tin repair looks good keep up the good ...great work your doing! its great to watch you building this.

Lee... Thank you for the kind comments and I am LMAO about taking a small insurance policy on this once its done... May be worth it :lol:

Dave... Thank you. No need to be sad when this build comes to an end one day. I can't wait to have it done because I have many more cool builds I want to start. I think the next two or three builds I have in mind you will like. I know I am super stoked for sure on one of them. and yes these ones are all 1/16th builds ;)

Danno.... You know I have been dreaming of the day when this bad boy is done.... I am curious how it will turn out :lol:

So I did some work yesterday on this and happy with the little progress I made. Hoping to get to work on it more today. If I am lucky I will be shooting some more primer on it today.

So I started out by removing the tin from the body and coating the top of the joint on the tins with super glue on the top side:

DP-Army-Vega5390-1_zps89fc5f84.jpg

Next I sanded down the glue going on the bottom so I would have a flat surface to glue to:

DP-Army-Vega5394-1_zpsc4238c6c.jpg

I then added the stiffening plates on the bottom of the tins at the joint:

DP-Army-Vega5399-1_zpsb4730c18.jpg

You can really tell from this picture but I added more bondo to the top area to clean it up:

DP-Army-Vega5400-1_zps34bf64a2.jpg

Added some more bondo to the dash area:

DP-Army-Vega5403-1_zpsea1be9e9.jpg

And then added some to the firewall:

DP-Army-Vega5404-1_zpsb49581b1.jpg

Chris, Great fix!!!!! The addition of the plates add depth and dimension (as if it needs more :rolleyes:) those cars back in the day saw many a match race during the week and many a repair!!! I think you made lemonade out of lemons!!! Great job Chris!!! I love watching this build!!!! jwrass

Mike.... Thank you. Its getting there little by little...lol

John... Thanks buddy for having faith in me.

Mark... Thank you. I think you are right after it has some paint on it no one will be able to tell.

James... Thank you very much. I am sure you are right about the cars back then having many repairs done to them. Its turning out ok so far on the fix. still needs more sanding for me to be happy with it...lol

So I was able to get some time last night and sanded my bondo and shot a few quick coats of primer on the top and firewall. Pretty happy with it but I still have some work to do on it and I still need to work the bottom side of the tins. Here is what it looks like now.....

Top side back in primer:

DP-Army-Vega5408-1_zps4a0e5abc.jpg

Here is the Dash, there are a few spots that I have noticed that need to be address again but it looks much better:

DP-Army-Vega5410-1_zps9870af62.jpg

The top end of the tins. I need to go back and scribe a line to separate the panels out a little bit and the very top edge needs some work as some of it popped in the primer:

DP-Army-Vega5413-1_zps605bef54.jpg

Here is the fire wall with some primer on it. It still need some work done to the seam right down the middle still shows a little:

DP-Army-Vega5417-1_zps79c74851.jpg

John... thanks Brother. I am happy with it so far. Now I need to get the bottom to look just as good as the top...lol but I still have some blemishes that need to be fixed on the top side. I am also sure I am gonna hate cutting all of the rivet down to size and sanding the edges from the cuts...lol bit to be hinest I cant wait until I get some black paint on this tin work.

James... thank you for the kind words. I am hoping that it turns out as well as I have visioned in my head. I think once paint and the rivets are in it ahould look pretty good.

Danno.... thank you. I was pretry sure I could save it but it made me mad i messed it up in the first place. actually now I think that rear portion is much stronger now.

Scott.... thanks brother!

Glenn.... thank you. I am very hopeful to have it done later this year. At this moment i really want to get back to the engine... lol

Edited by Mooneyzs