Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Fantastic Work, as Always, Chris! B) You do great job, and that rear axle looks perfect to me. Just like real thing. Paint and everything looks absolutely incredible for me. Keep up the fantastic work with this one, I can't wait to see more!

Hey Everyone.... thank you all of the wonderful comments, I really do appreciate them. Well I have finally started feeling better and getting over this cold. I still have a little of it lingering but I didn't let it stop me from getting a little time at the bench tonight. I wouldn't say I got a whole lot accomplished but enough to just about have the master cylinder reworked. So from the previous one you saw I had it set up as a dual piston type which is used on car with front and rear brakes and since this car only has rear brakes I had to make the change. So I got it redone as a single piston as well as made a gasket for the top and was able to get it in primer. Here are a few pics and I will be working on a lot more this weekend.

Here is all of the parts laid out. The Master Cylinder body and top is scratch built. The gasket was made from a 3x5 card cut to size then colored with a black sharpie. The piston is a rod end from RB Motion and then I used 1/32" O-rings stacked for the rubber boot:

2v2uJyD5sxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is all assembled, I am planning on painting it this weekend with one of my Alclad aluminum colors:

2v2uJyDjixAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well and hope it passes soon. Just wanted to know if you received the updated parts I sent you recently? I know you commented on the Mallory mag, but have you gotten the new heads and valve covers?

Dave... thanks bud!

Scott... thanks man!

Mike... thank you. It was also great to catch up with you yesterday as well.

Steve... Thanks

Joe.... No worries man. I know life gets busy

Mark... Thanks bud... Hopefully you got my email. Sorry I didn't send an email sooner. being sick screwed me up a little wondering if I had told you or not when I received the parts... lol I do have an update with both new parts on the engine.

Alright fellas.... I was able to get some bench time in today and little last night but not as much as I was originally hoping for but it's ok because I made some progress. I was able to get my master cylinder painted as well as making my new linkage from the brake lever to the master cylinder. Then I stared to work on the engine block and the new parts I received from Mark Johnson. swapped out the heads and valve covers and had to re-drill all the holes. I still have to drill holes for the headers into the heads. And then I was able to drill the hole for the new Mallory Ignition for the engine as well. Here are a few pics of the progress.....

Here is the Master Cylinder after I painted it with Alclad #102 DurAluminum:

2v2uJy4HTxAhe9C.jpg

I also reworked the linkage between the master cylinder and brake handle. Since I switched the master cylinder to a single piston. I ended up having to be creative on how I made the connection for the new linkage and here is what I came up with:

2v2uJy4QkxAhe9C.jpg

I have got the new valve covers and heads that Mark had sent me. I drilled holes for the bold hardware into the valve covers and then transfer drilled them into the heads. I Will be drilling the holes for the spark plugs in the valve covers and will be putting in RB motion turned spark plugs as well as needing to drill the holes for the header bolts into the heads:

2v2uJy4vPxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the Mallory Ignition from Mark Johnson. got the angle and hole drilled for it in the right location:

2v2uJy4UkxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the other valve cover:

2v2uJy4uDxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Fellas.... thanks for all of the kind words means a lot. Well i have made a tiny bit of more progress but no pictures. I finished getting the mounting holes in the heads to mound them to the block and then I got one of the heads drilled for the bolts for the headers. I ended up having to make a template to redo these heads. So I just need to finish the other head and then i can start getting them cleaned and prepped for paint. The valve covers have a little bit of work before I get some primer on them but they are really close.

Paul.... when I come home for Thanksgiving I will have to bring this build with me to show you and your dad the progress.

Hey guys....thanks for all the kind words. sorry for no updates over the weekend but i was at the nhra races in Vegas. got a bunch and i mean a bunch of pics lol. Plus I came back with more motivation to get more done on this build. hoping to have some updates this week for everyone. plus i got my airbrush back from badger. i had to send it in for issues i was having.