Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Mark.... Thank you very much.

Johnny.... Lmao ... Am thinking I am nuts for chasing these small little details. I think I am the I sane little brother now :D. Hut oh hope you didn't make too big of a mess in your shorts lol.

Ray... Thank you for asking about my dog. He has been doing much better with the meds. I hink he did so ething that made one of the areas of the arthritus flare up and caused things. he seems to be like normal now ...lol I have a few square beds and circular beds that I have gotten from Costco. I will have to look into one of these foams beds.

Joe.... Thank you my friend. The sponge worked great. If I remember when I did the oil pan gasket, I ended up doing the black with a paint brush and taping the ends to the part. Not sure if that made sense but not sure how else to explain it...lol and I won't lie I thought of trying to make the gaskets with all of the details. The best way would of been to draw them up and have them made out of photo-etch process. I need to break out my micro marks photo etch set and learn how to use it.

Jason.... First off let me say congrats to you and your family Ion The addition to the family with your new baby girl. Your model will be there enjoy those early moments as a new dad. Thank you for the kind words on my build and for following along.it would be cool to some day have so e of the valve train detail in the heads...lol I think it could be doable with the extreme detailed small block Chevy engine from TDR.

ok Fellas.... Been working on this today and had a few little set backs, not really a set back but I found another issue with the Body tins that I was working with. I had noticed that once I put the tins in place and bolted it in that I was having an issue with the body sitting correct on the chassis. I believe that the cause was from the fix I did when I broke the tin and how I re-glued it. I found that the portion of the tin that sat on the mid plate was the spot I could fix this problem. I had to sand it down to get things to fit right and after sanding it down I think I may have to redo the holes in that spot of the tins for the rivets. Anyway I will be showing you a whole bunch of pics of this from what the body sitting on the chassis before fixing and what it looks like after fixing. I apologize in advance for the bunch of pics I will be showing you.

Here is the start of what the body looked like sitting on the chassis with the tin installed:

DP-Army-Vega5581-1_zps45357251.jpg

Here is the front wheel well and rim, prior to the tin work fix the wheel well sat down to the rim. You can see that there is some distance between the wheel well and the top of the rim... maybe 1/16" or more??:

DP-Army-Vega5582-1_zps4fc2de4f.jpg

Here I applied pressure with my finger to get the body to sit down on the front body mounts and the body was pivoting on the mid plate of the engine:

DP-Army-Vega5583-1_zps17f2face.jpg

Here is the view of the opposite side, same scenario with no pressure there was a major difference with the distance from the wheel well to the top of the rim:

DP-Army-Vega5587-1_zps2b3ddbd2.jpg

Again I pressed the body down to sit it to the body mounts and the gap looks right now:

DP-Army-Vega5588-1_zpsc620da9b.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here is some measurements I took to show that it was off:

DP-Army-Vega5591-1_zpsbaf362dc.jpg

Here it is again with pressure that I applied and where it should sit:

DP-Army-Vega5592-1_zpsb6409cb2.jpg

SO this is after I took the time to sand and fit check for a while until I got it to sit correct. I sanded the tin work in place so that I got it correct and am happy with the fix:

DP-Army-Vega5596-1_zpsbf23ff01.jpg

Here is a new shot of the body sitting on the chassis without me pressing down on the body:

DP-Army-Vega5598-1_zps4682518d.jpg

Another measurement showing that the front of the body was sitting a 3/16" off the ground which is equivalent to 3" in 1:1:

DP-Army-Vega5599-1_zps08f6c127.jpg

Here is the very front of the car now:

DP-Army-Vega5601-1_zpsa100f65d.jpg

I took a couple of hours to model the valve cover and valve cover breather in Solidworks. Now I didn't model the valve cover 100%. I took the Mark Johnson Resin valve covers and measured it and reversed engineered the valve cover. I need to be able to get the size correct. So I could design the valve cover breather to fit the valve cover right. I will be scratch building the valve cover breather and wanted to figure out the design first before I started it. I will print of the views and use the drawing for the templates to make these:

DP-Army-Vega5602_zps700c5be3.jpg

Here is another view of the breather/blow off plate:

DP-Army-Vega5603_zps7b38057f.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the engine I was using as reference for the breathers:

Army-1copy_zps127eab94.jpg

Army-34copy_zpsd17ce072.jpg

Army-33copy_zpsf6aec015.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Glenn... Thank you. Hopefully I will have the breathers fabricated in a few days. I can't wait to get color onto the body but I need to get all of the body work done and get the body into primer. That's the goal for the body but I want to get more of the engine done first,

Mike... Thank you. You know I had to fix that...lol plus I didn't have a clue that when I died the tins that it would be so far off. I am so glad I had test fit everything again before I painted the tins. I will have to show pics of the tins of how much I removed and the holes I need to relocate for the rivets now.

Brad... Thank you isn't that the truth about something always come up in our builds and that determination factor helps push us as modelers to correct things. I have to be honest I can't wait to get the breathers finished then I can finish up the body work on the valve covers and then on to the body work of the blower. I am getting that urge to break out the air brush and lay some paint down.

Danno..... Thank you. I am getting there little by little.... I need to have it done for the desert scale classic next year....lol. Hoping for real this time... Hahah but it will be worth all of the extra time I have out into this fixing things.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Sits down real nice there Chris. nice work on the Solidworks dwg. I am learning how to use Solidworks on my own right now. Its a pretty friendly program so far.

The Gaskets look pretty cool also nice painting technique for the cork look.

Dang Chris im really startin to worry about your mental state. I have just the Dr. for you to see ill pm you his contact info LMAO i just kiddin bro. MAN! this baby looks good I love the gaskets I had a similar idea hope it works out as well as yours did. Keep up the excellent work cant wait to see it in person. B)

Edited by Romell R

Dave... Thank you very much. Glad to hear Solidworks is going good. It's a pretty easy to learn.

Rom... I think you are right that I have lost my mind on this build. I will be the first one to say so....lol Thank you for the kind word.i can't wait to see more work done to your pro mod.

Well fellas I haven't been able to get to the bench for almost a week now. I have been under the weather fighting a cold. I am hoping to get back to the bench tomorrow and have an update for everyone.

Glenn... Thank you for asking how I was feeling. I was feeling better last week and just haven't had time to et to the bench this post week at all. I am gonna try to get some time in this afternoon. I have been waiting on a couple of parts from RB motion to get to me tone a le to use for the breathers.

Darryl....thank you so much for the kind words.

Steve... Thank you for checking in and for the kind words. I will have to say that it would be an honor if this build needed up in a museum. I just can't wait to get more accomplished on it and getting it finished.

Well fellas I have to apologize that I haven't had any updates lately. I haven't had time to get to the bench. I am actually having withdrawals on this build. I am going to see if I can get some bench time in today so I am hoping to get an update for you guys today

Well Fellas.... I am glad to say that I have gotten a little bench time tonight so far. Hoping to get some more but wanted to show you the progress on the Breathers for the valve covers so far. I sorta got to a stopping point on them because I need to let the glue dry for a bit. I sorta loaded a few areas up with Weld-On #3 (same basic stuff as Tennax or Pro-Ambroid, I just buy it in quart size containers) and its little soft in a few areas that I need to cut and shape.

Here is the start of the breathers with the raw materials. As you can see I cut out templates that drew up in solidworks to scale, cut it out and used a glue stick to glue to the evergreen styrene for my templates:

DP-Army-Vega5605-1_zps0311ef3d.jpg

Here are all of the individual parts that I have cut and ready to glue together:

DP-Army-Vega5609-1_zps7130b422.jpg

Here I have glued all of the pieces together. I left the length of the one rod long on purpose and that will be getting trimmed down and shaped:

DP-Army-Vega5612-1_zpsdf7286f5.jpg

I just set the breather on the valve cover to get an idea on how it will look:

DP-Army-Vega5616-1_zpsa4ceecde.jpg

I am still actually debating if I want to send the CAD files for these to Shapeways and have them 3D printed guess I am curious how they would turn out if printed.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Glenn...thank you so much. It feels great to be back to the bench. I should be getting a lot more time on it. No the tube will be rounded on the back like the pics I posted on the previous page.this is still in a little rough state. I am still waiting on some parts from RB motion to get here and I want to get these shaped so I can get some primer on them :)

John... Thanks Brother. I don't know about being the new sheriff in town. I am just trying to follow in my big brothers foot steps. You know these bad boys will be painted with Alclad. I am so anxious to break out the airbrush and paint some parts for this but I have to wait til it's a little cooler and when it's not so humid...lol

John... Thanks Brother. I don't know about being the new sheriff in town. I am just trying to follow in my big brothers foot steps. You know these bad boys will be painted with Alclad. I am so anxious to break out the airbrush and paint some parts for this but I have to wait til it's a little cooler and when it's not so humid...lol

I hear ya "Little Brother"………I know you will do agreat job on the Alclad…….I have seen some of your Alcald work……..looks great to me :)

I hear ya "Little Brother"………I know you will do agreat job on the Alclad…….I have seen some of your Alcald work……..looks great to me :)

You know that means a lot coming from the Alclad master himself. My front axle was sprayed the way you told me how you did it and is probably why it turned out so great :)