Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

I am pretty sure you are all thinking that I am nuts for wanting to repaint these parts once again but I am looking for a certain sheen of these parts so it gives some contrast between them and the chassis. That is the reason behind it.

Chris, we wouldn't expect any less from you. You are The King when it comes down to lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat. Waiting to see this car in ANY stage of completion is like waiting for Christmas.

"Til then, be Kewl B)

And here it is: 200 Pages of Pure Perfection B) !

Excellent job painting those parts - even if you're planning to repaint. I think it's a good idea to try to get the right shade for that paint as you're doing so detailed work on this one otherwise as well. Keep it coming!

Edited by W-409

Hi Chris,

In every update you continue to impress with terrific details .........and...... also manage to show something that you are redoing :D:D:D

Love it all , it will be a lot of fun to meet you in person and see this work of art at DSC this year.

Randy

Joe... thank you. You are right. I thunk I have become the king of redoing things more than once... lol

Art... thanks brother. Hoping to get some more bench time possibly tonight. Gotta get some more parts prepped so I can paint over the weekend.

Bob... thank you

Niko... thank you for the kind words. You are right abiut the shade as to why I did a sample spray out in the spoons. Now the sheen was almost right but I know how I will mix it up when i repaint them this time. I pribably would of left the panels if I wasnt trying to build a replica of this car.

Clayton... thank you very much. Its exciting to see it as a roller but the pics make it hard to see some of the dust that got onto the fuel tank and side panels.

Randy... thank you for the nice words. Its coming along and I need to get the redo down to zero so I can move forward with other items if this build...lol. I am really looking forward to meeting you and seeing your beautiful builds at the DSC. Its the best show here in AZ in my opinion that we have.

Mitch... thank you. I am hoping to have this build done sooner than 200 more pages...lol. Blessings my friend

Edited by Mooneyzs

Mike... I know I need to get more bench times...lol

Bob... I did get a little done 2 days ago but wasnt much to show. I uave gotten the valve covers wet sanded and they are now ready for paint. I am hoping to get the oil breathers and blower wer sanded tonight so they will alao be ready for some paint over the weekend. As well as I am gonna sand the chassis tins down so I can get them painted for the last time.

Dave... Thank you so much. I actually don't have a 3D printer. I have been sending parts to Shapeways but I just went to SolidWorks World one day this last week and I found a couple of other printing services while going thru the expo that looks like some good places to send stuff and the parts may turn our a tad better but am curious as to how much they will charge. I will hopefully have some more stuff soon to get quotes and then prints. but will keep people posted about it since these sample parts I saw at the Expo looked a lot smoother than the material from shapeways.

Alright Fellas.... I will be having some updates for you guys later on what I have been up to today on this build. I am not done yet but hopefully soon...... B)

Ok Fellas as promised here are some updated pics...

Here I got the Blower and Valve Covers sanded and ready for paint:

DP-Army-Vega%206621-1_zps8idotlst.jpg

Here is the chassis tins sanded and ready for more paint:

DP-Army-Vega%206624-1_zps400qtxay.jpg

Got the parts on tooth picks ready to be sprayed:

DP-Army-Vega%206627-1_zpskro9jlzc.jpg

Here are the Blower, Valve Covers and Oil Blow off painted with House of Kolor Black and I tired a new brand of Urethane clear:

DP-Army-Vega%206630-1_zpsua8tz5zu.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%206632-1_zpsg6nllfhm.jpg

Here are the Chassis tins repainted. I am so much happier with the sheen on them now. They are done!:

DP-Army-Vega%206633-1_zpshjgwfeyv.jpg

Close up shot of them:

DP-Army-Vega%206634-1_zpsd07gahdx.jpg

Well I had an issue with the fuel tank. after sanding all of my parts I washed them and didn't realize I got water inside of the tank and while I was painting the last coat I must of blown water out of one of the holes in the tank from the air brush. So this is what happened and I get to sand this guy down and repaint it once again...lol:

DP-Army-Vega%206637-1_zps8pasrxwz.jpg

Here is the chassis tin next to the chassis:

DP-Army-Vega%206639-1_zpsekkw692a.jpg

I often wonder why you sand and paint several part again and then, after you're done, I realize they look so much better than before.

Because of the enjoyment you bring me with this built I myself picked up a kit that I had laying around for at least 15 years. I also know I can never can get at your level of quality, but its the pleasure I'm having with it.

Thanks again for sharing this with us.

Finally progress. Looking good. Everything looks great. Keep up the good work. Also back to work. Want to see more progress.

Also a suggestion. I was reading an article on 3D printed parts and the were talking about using acetone( finger nail polish remover) for smooting parts. You might want to see if that is usefull,

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Paint looks good man, too bad about the fuel tank. I hate when I strip and repaint a part just to have something else happen. I'm sure you'll make it right. The tins look great. The shine on the blower and valve covers looks awesome.you are true inspiration, now I just gotta motivate myself.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Hans.... Thank you. What I have found that helps the paint work is the prep for it. Pretty much most of my primered parts get wet sanded before I paint them. The smoother you can get it the better your paint will lay down. I will be honest I am so much happier with the tins this time. I just wish I didn't have to redo the tank and tank strap but its ok

Danno... Thank you buddy. Its coming along little by little.

Bob... Thank you. Yeah gotta say it felt good to get this stuff painted yesterday. Today I will be getting to the bench but I need to do a few house chores first... dishes, clean bathrooms and toss in laundry....lol Then its to the bench I will go and I am going to jump back on the transmission getting it prepped so I can get it painted soon. I also heard that about the Acetone but that only works on ABS material from what I recall. I know you can take the frosted ultra detail parts from Shapeways and soak it in Acetone and it will remove the waxy material that was left on it from the printing process. Scott aka FutureAttraction told me that trick. But I have leads on 2 other print shops I am going to try and from what I saw the quality may be a tad better than shapeways but I have to see how it prices out as well.

Scott... Thank you. I love painting and you can't go wrong with shooting automotive paint guess its my choice of paint for bodies and other parts. not that I am against the hobby paints it just I find I get better results with them.

Brad... Thank you my friend. Yeah it pretty much ticked me off about the tank but maybe I shouldn't of washed the tank off. I probably should of wiped it down...lol. I am pretty happy with the blower and valve covers although I tried a different clear. I usually use PPG Concept 2020 Urethane clear (4 parts paint: 1 part reducer: 1 part hardner) and a while back I bought soom Kirker Automotive Urethane clear to try which is pre-reduced and all you have to do is add the Activator (hardner) its mixed 4 parts paiint to 1 part Activator. I am not sure if I am completely happy with this new clear. it seems that some of it still isn't quite hard. So I have tossed the parts under a heat lamp to see if that helps.

Clayton... Thank you. Yeah It stinks when something else happens but it won't stop me..lol Well the blower and vlave covers just got the black base and clear so that I can Alclad them next. I just hope that the Alclad turns out ok and that the clear that was put on the blower wasn't too much to loose some of the detail. I shot 3 coats of clear but probably could of gotten away with 2. Get yourself to the bench but I know the whole motivation thing. I have gone thru struggles getting motivated on this build. I want to finish it so bad so I can move on to my next build but these little set backs where I keep redoing things just sorta burns me out from time to time.

Chris, this is outstanding progress. I'm thrilled that you only had 2 minor issues out of all the pieces you shot. I know you already know this, but it never hurts to hit every piece with a blast of air before spraying. Not just for water, but for dust critters and Klingon's, er, cling-on's.

I love the finish on the side panels. It reinforces what correcting a part can do for the whole build. No doubt you'll achieve the same results with the tank and strap.

Have a great session today, then chill man, chill.