Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Ok Fellas another quick early evening teaser of what was worked on today and it seemed to take much longer than I was planning but it's ok because I need to make this before I could get some pieces in primer. I worked on the mounting bracket tabs for the body hold down latch. I started with Pro-Tech Throttle linkages and then Soldered them to my front body supports. I used some material as a spacer between the tabs. I apologize for the crappy picture, I took these with my cell phone because I was lazy to retake them with my camera:

DP-Army-Vega%207303-1_zps88qdomm0.jpg

Here is a comparison with a penny in the picture to show how small the tabs were that I had soldered it was a pain in the butt to get the tabs positioned where I wanted them in order to solder them:

DP-Army-Vega%207305-1_zps8r7pn3uy.jpg

Next... I am going to work on the "J" Hook that will go in between both of these tabs which will latch the body in the down position.

Edited by Mooneyzs

I don't care what dimension or planet you're from. That's pretty slick right there Brudda.

I just have to see how that J hook is going to hook up.

Didn't I tell you a couple of years ago that this build needs a J hook body latching system? Actually, no. But I noticed no one on this page has pointed out how much time you've spent on this thing. Just holding up my end Buddy.

You're Welcome. :lol:

Clayton... Thanks man. Yeah it took a few attempts to try and make them stay in place so I could solder them up.

Joe... Thank you. I still have those details on how I am going to hook it up to work on. I forgot that this thing isn't going to build it's self...lol Where is John's Minions when I need them...haha

Paul... You know it buddy. I have had the thought and plan about making the latch system work from the get go when I wanted to add it. I have been working on the stupid J hook and it's taking a little longer than I was hoping. I am working on a plastic mock up and then I will make it out of Aluminum. I almost have it where I like it but It needs some more work.

Darryl.... Thank you Buddy!!

Hey Chris, just want to acknowledge those little details you keep finding and massaging to get it 100%. Nice catch. It can be maddening trying to discover the culprit to an ill fitting body or whatever...and then when you find it, it's like "sheesh". Better to have discovered it now my friend, I'm sure you would agree. Like everyone else, getting anxious to see it in paint in the coming few months. Cheers and good luck! Tim

Tim.... Thank you my friend. I happened to notice it and had to fix it at this point before I can move on and sand the inside of the body so I can get it painted flat black. As well as work on a little more detail for the front body support. I want to get the body supports primered and painted but I need to finish the minor details to it so I know I can be done with that step then I can get back to the body work on the outside of the body.

Randy D.... It's always great to hear from you my Brother!! Thank you very much. I have a long way to go to be at your level of brass work.... Mr Brass Man!!

John... What can I say Brother but thank you. sometimes I get some good ideas in the bald brain of mine... haha. Just wait til you see what I pull out next on the bench. I think you are going to like it ;) and you may go :o then... :lol: ...... B)

Danno... Thank you. I am hoping that my next up date will make your jaw drop.... lol

Art... Thanks buddy. It's getting there.

Well Fellas I made some good progress tonight on getting the "J" Hook fabbed up. I only made 3 plastic templates until I got it right then made it from Aluminum. Then I have been having the wheels turn in my head on how I will make it working with the spring. I have two Ideas which I may have to explore to see which works better. One is a two piece idea and the other is mostly one piece other than the handle. Hope to have some pics tomorrow to share.

Well Fellas... I have been doing a little work this weekend on the latch set up. And have to say I am pretty happy with it at this point. There is some very minor updates I will do to it but other than that, It feels great to have this done for now I can move onto working on something else on this build.

Well here is the first Video of 2 that I have uploaded to my photobucket. It looks as if its taking Photobucket quite a long time approving the videos. Why... I am not sure. But I will take pics of all of the components and post them in a bit. Also once the 2nd Video is up on my photobucket I will update the post and add it to it. Click on the link below to see the video:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mooneyzs/media/Plastic%20Models/Model%20Videos/Body%20Latch%20-1_zpsb3gt6p3f.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Stay Tuned for the 2nd Video.... B)

Here is Video #2

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mooneyzs/media/Plastic%20Models/Model%20Videos/Body%20Latch-2_zps0l16nofp.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Updated to Add Video #2

Edited by Mooneyzs

Tim... Thank you my friend. I wanted people to see it function and how it worked. I still haven't a clue as to why the 2nd video hasn't been approved yet. I took it from another angle to show the same functionality.

John... Thanks my big brother. You are more than welcome on the video. I just wished the video would of had the actual latch in focus...lol

Paul... Thank you

Clayton... Thanks man. Yeah I wish that drag racing was on but it wasn't so I was watching the Nascar race while working on this today.

Joe... Thank you buddy. I am not sure if I have seen anyone do a latch like this before or not.... You probably did see a minon behind the fuel pump. I was able to sneak one of Johns away by telling him I would cook him Brats boiled in beer... lol

Michael... Thank you. I am pretty happy with how it turned out all though I need to do some very minor tweaking on it.

Alright Fellas... as promised here are pics of the pieces and how I made this latch up..... I still don't get why that other video hasn't been approved but when it is done I will post it as well.

Here was the start of the "J" Hook. I first started with the template I made from some styrene since it was easier to cut and form. As you can see I had to make a couple before I was happy with it. Once I found that the third one from the left worked, I then copied it over to a piece of .016" thick piece of aluminum and cut it out with my dremel and sanded it to shape with a sanding stick and round file:

DP-Army-Vega%207313-1_zpsjashtioa.jpg

From there I started to make the Rod End that was going to attach to the J hook. I took some 3/64" OD tubing since the 1/32" OD tubing was the size of the man tube. I crimped the tubing down and shaped and drill the mounting hole into it and then soldered it to the 1/32" tube:

DP-Army-Vega%207317-1_zps4h5xnzj0.jpg

I then used a photoetch washer which was going to be the resting point for the spring and then I also drilled out the 1/32 tube so I could slid in piece of threaded rod. As you can see from the top piece, I drilled thru the wall and had to redo the tube. I had soldered the threaded rod into place:

DP-Army-Vega%207316-1_zps3kv79d1x.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%207315-1_zpsm2havuua.jpg

Here are all of the pieces that I had used to make these parts. A few pieces in the pic were test parts:

DP-Army-Vega%207318-1_zpsxxsuur64.jpg