Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Art... Thanks for the encouraging words.

Joe... I am not 100% sure but I think the spacer tube you are talking about is a sleeve that the steering shaft is going thru. I know someone that can probably answer that question for sure though. my plan was to use a tubing size one bigger that what I will use for my steering shaft and make it look similar to the 1:1 pic.

Bill... Thank you my friend. I can't wait to get the engine painted and onto some assembly with details to share with everyone.

Darryl... Thank you bud.... Man I wish I had the skills to machine everything and to be able to throw some nitro in the tank and have that bad boy fire right up and Cackle...lol

Well fellas I was not able to get any bench time this weekend but I am hoping to get a little time in the evening's this week to get more done. will keep you posted and thanks for following along on this long journey

Alright Fellas.... wanted to show you a couple of things I was working on. I have actually started drawing up my fire suppression system and getting ideas for the mounting brackets. I have drawn them in Solidworks and am planing on having a friend of mine that is out in California print these parts for me on his Makerbot Replicator Personal 3D printer that he has. I have been curious as to the quality of printing that machine does. So once I get the parts I will be sharing pic of them. I am still not done drawing everything up. but I have drawn up two different systems one being 5lb bottle and the other a 10 lb bottle. I can't quite tell what size of bottle is in the real car....

Here are a few pics to show you

The Two different bottles and brackets:

firesuppressionbottles_zps1bc134ad.jpg

Here is a straight on view so you could see the shape of the bracket:

firesuppressionbottles-2_zps79da78f3.jpg

Here are the reference pics I am using to create my parts:

Army-28copy_zps137e763a.jpg

Army-36copy_zps971f1fcb.jpg

As you can see I still have a few parts like the push button and nozzle to draw up. I also think I need to make may brackets a little smaller as to how much is wrapped around the bottle. Hopefully that makes sense. I will update them and show you the updates later. I am off right now to do some work on the block, valve covers, manifold and oil pan.... filling more pin holes and primering.... Stay Tuned B)

Chris we have fire extinguishers, in every vehicle at the Town. They are 5 LB capacity they're shorter, and thicker than this one shown here. The one pictured appears to be Longer, and Narrow. I would Imagine it is also 5LB.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for the kind comments.

Well I haven't had much bench time but I do have some cool stuff to share. I have made a couple of changed to the Fire Bottles... not much other than the size of the brackets holding them. My buddy in California who is going to print these for me told me to send over what I had so he could print them so I could the quality of the print. And he said make the changes you want and we will print them again. So I sent them to him late last week and well today he started printing them and while at work today. I kept getting text with picture updates showing the process. Let me share with you the pics. Now keep in mind the quality of all the pics aren't the best but will give you a good idea. And when I get the parts in Hand I will take pics and post them as well with some up close shots to see the quality.

Here was the updated Assembly i sent him:

firesuppressionbottles-a_zpsaff0d605.jpg

firesuppressionbottles-2a_zps4fc120af.jp

I have to say that his first go around he just printed it as an assembly to see what it would do first:

IMG952187_zps3bab018d.jpg

IMG956457_zpsf4e45c3a.jpg

IMG954539_zps0ae0ba58.jpg

IMG_5135_zps38342b93.jpg

He then went back and printed the individual parts to see if it would be easier to print and it was a little easier because he did not have to add any type of supports to print the parts./ here are pics of it:

IMG951471_zps89b91515.jpg

IMG951926_zps08a18128.jpg

IMG953883_zpse24aff33.jpg

Here is the parts printed as an assembly after he cleaned it up. one of the mounts broke:

IMG950758_zpsf5664367.jpg

Here is all of the parts and assembly prints next to one another:

IMG952377_zps46bfd859.jpg

I can't wait to get the parts in my hand to check them out and will post pics when I get them. I am pretty stoked about getting these samples.

Brad... Thanks buddy!!

Dave... LOL @ lime gummy candy...haha. Yea these pics were taken from a cell phone and texted to me. I will be taking some good shots of them when I get them so you all can see how smooth the surface is and I am also planning on spraying primer on a couple of the parts to see them with primer as well. I will share it once i get them. Which it looks like my buddy said I should get the Friday.

I'm a retired engineer, and I've used 3D printers before, but I never even thought about using one to print model parts. DUH!

Pretty cool how the parts turned out. It will be cool to see how they look when you can get some good pictures of them. I know some of the parts we used to get were okay, but they typically had a lot of pinholes in them, esp. on the rounded surfaces.

Chris your work is spectacular, and I've really enjoyed following along on this build. Keep up the amazing work!

Sflam... Thanks man I really appreciate the kind words.

Dave... Thank you

Well Fellas.... the parts have arrived and are in my hand. I feel they have turned out pretty good for the first go around. There will be a little clean up. I want to wash them in some warm water and dawn just to be sure nothing is on the parts Then what I would like to do is just shoot some plastikote primer on them and I will post updated pics of a could pieces primered. I am not sure if it is the color of the material but it is a little hard to actually see the printing layers. I figured there would be a little bit of clean up on them. on the brackets I will need to fill a few spots but other than that i am pretty happy with them. I have placed the bottle next to the steering linkage to get an idea on which size looks and works best. I am debating if I need to shorten the bigger bottle just a smidge. Well here are some more pics....

The Goods have arrived:

DP-Army-Vega3933-1_zpsaf286249.jpg

Another view:

DP-Army-Vega3935-1_zps331898f6.jpg

Closer up shots of the bottles and Brackets:

DP-Army-Vega3936-1_zps49271ea1.jpg

Another close up shot:

DP-Army-Vega3938-1_zps30284653.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

I'll say the 5 pound bottle looks more correct due to if you eyeball the top piece in place along with the valve piece it fits right and would turn out the right longness. The bigger 10 pound bottle over takes everything in one shot and also would over take everything even more when all parts of it are in place it would turn out to be too long anyway you went it looks like.

Thank you guys... I think you area right about the 5lb bottle. I do have to tell you that I have found another manufacture of fire bottles and their dimensions were a little different from the first manufacture I found. I am going to be updating my 3D models to these other sizes and have my buddy reprint them but i am going get the Steering wheel shaft length set up today and mock what I have up to see how it will look and also do a check fit with the boddy to make sure nothing hits when the body is on. I will have updates later for you. thanks for following along.

Bob... thank you sir... I originally was going to make them out of some aluminum sheet and I think I wasn't sure if I would be able to make them exactly the same by having to dremel, file and sand. But you never know I may still try to make a set once I get these one drawing up correct in which i could use as a template Because I really do like that if I was to use aluminum It would be the right finish on it. I really wished I had me a shurline mill.

Ok Fellas.... I was able to get some primer sprayed on to the bottles and brackets. I did no prep work other than washing them in Warm water with Dawn soap. you definetly see more now that the primer is on the parts. I will be sanding them down and doing some finishing work to them and show you how they turn out. Even though these aren't the ones I will use but I am using them to do some mock up for now. I will be modifying the 3D models and having my friend print some more of them for me. Here are the pics....

Here is the Bottles and Brackets painted with PlastiKote spot n fill primer:

DP-Army-Vega3957-1_zps907d5dc1.jpg

Brackets side 1:

DP-Army-Vega3959-1_zpsb12c2e4f.jpg

Brackets opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega3960-1_zps055b3ea5.jpg

Other side of the bottles:

DP-Army-Vega3961-1_zpsabb448ec.jpg

I also pulled out some of the photo-etch butterflies from Futureattraction to see how it fit and looks like It fits perfectly.... ;)

DP-Army-Vega3950-1_zps5c135e66.jpg