Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Henry... thank you. You know I will be chipping away at this one.

Dave... thank you for checking in. I need to get in touch with you it been too long. I have a fee more questoins for you...lol

Dave... thank you. It would be nice to be able to get those pics but I am not gonna hold my breath. I think Inhave been doing pretty good filling in those bkanks where i have needed to.

Joe.... its great to see you back here. Sure miss seeing your talent around here and updates to your builds. Thanks on the kinds words about my dedication to this build. its fun ijust want to get past this next hurdle of getting these few parts desiged. Once I finish them i can get the fuel pump, blower, injector hat, K style barrel vavle printed and then I think i could start getting the engine together. I am so ready to do some painting and getting this engine together. Hexk I want to finiah this build so bad...lol

Chris;

The bummer about not being able to take pics of the actual car is, I'd bet if you bumped into Rick Hendrick himself and caught him on a good day when he wasn't swamped with work, he'd probably say "Sure, go ahead, snap away!!"....Unfortunately you have to go through 20 layers of his organization to make a request like that and his people have probably been trained to shut down such requests when they come up as there's likely thousands of people who'd like to get pics of his cars and facility....Would be great to know someone on the inside....

On the otherhand, maybe it's better you don't have pics because then you'd REALLY be goin' nuts trying to get all the details correct, haha!!

Lee... I think you may be right that maybe its for the best not to see any more pics... i will want to redo more of this build..lol

Bob... I know I am in much need of bemch time. I need to finish buttoning up the design for the blower, injector hat and fuel pump so I can get them sent off to shapeways. I apologize I havent gotten any updates up..my parents came into town last week and are visiting for the week. I will have some progress to show soon.

Bob... thank you. I really do appreciaye when you guys do ask or help crack the wip. I know I go thru moments where I feel burnt out on this build and that etra push helps get that motivation back. You are right that i have been wanting to get this done so i can start a couple of other cool builds I cant wait to share with everyone here. I will be honest I think they are gonna be some cool builds.

Chris, HELP! I'm going thru Mooneyzs withdrawls, and I need a fix bad. I have followed your build since the beginning and have been blown away by your phenominal attention to detail. Please get back to the bench, for your own sake, I'd hate to see this project end up in a box on a shelf, yoyu got too much invested in it.

Bob... thank you. I really do appreciaye when you guys do ask or help crack the wip. I know I go thru moments where I feel burnt out on this build and that etra push helps get that motivation back. You are right that i have been wanting to get this done so i can start a couple of other cool builds I cant wait to share with everyone here. I will be honest I think they are gonna be some cool builds.

It's only common sense when you say a build like this could burn a person out, but when you say your next build is gonna be cool is like James Cameron saying, "I think you'll like my next movie."

Carl... Thank you. And thanks for the kind words on my attention to detail on this as well as following along from the beginning. Oh trust me that this build won't end up sitting in a box. It will get done I promise. I will be getting some bench time real soon. I have the itch real bad to work on this.

Joe.. you are right that in builds like these can take a toll on the builder. I have wanted to start abother build to prevent getting burnt out but I have been trying to keep myself focused to finish this build first. I am super excited for my next few builds and can't wait to share them with you. One of them is where my love of drag racing started but I will tell more of that story when I start that build and the other well I havent seen many people build one of them. And yes they both will be 1/16th scale builds ;). I think you guys will like the builds... well i am hoping anyway...lol

Brad... you should know that I am having withdrawls from thw bench and I can't wait to make some more progress. I will have some updates real soon.

Art... Thank you. It's great to hear from you brother. Hope you are doing well. I haven't been to the bench in over a week due to family visiting. I did sit down tonight and get some of the final details done to the blower and injector had as well as the fuel pump finished and I am currently uploading them to Shapeways to get an idea on the price on them. So far it looks to be pretty reasonable for them. Although I did realize I need to change some dimensions on the blower for the fitment between the 4 pieces that make them up.

Dave... Thank you my friend. I finally buttoned up the design on these few parts and been uploading them to Shapeways to get pricing. I just need to place the order now....lol

Hey Fellas.... I need to apologize that I haven't gotten any progress picks up in a while. As you all know I have been doing the design work on a few parts and finally finished them up. I have a couple more parts for the engine to design but I will place the order on these few parts I have finished up first so I can get them on their way.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Guys I thought I would give you a quick update. I got the blower, injector hat & fuel pumps ordered and I should have them in my hands in 2 weeks or so. I cant wait to see how they turn out. Now I can get back to buding on this one bit I still have a few other items I want to design up and have printed.

Edited by Mooneyzs

I finally got up to the Hendricks Museum and I'm sorry, but the Vega funny car is not on display there. It's all Hendrick's race cars ( Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, etc. ) Some alternatives you might have are these. One of Prudommes Cudas is in the Garlit's Museum. It was probably set up about the same as the Vega. If you know some one down there, maybe they could get some pics for you. Also I think Prudomme has a lot of his cars on display at his shop. Don't remember which ones ,but if one of the Cudas is there, again, maybe someone could get some pics there. From what I remember, Prudomme only drove the Vega for a short time and didn't like it for some reason and went back to the Cuda .Seems that the chassis ,engine ,etc. should be about the same. Also, I don't know if the Vega was ever in any magazine articles, but if it was maybe you can find it on e-bay.

I've never built a replica on the level that you are doing, but I know how frustrating it can be trying to find reference, since many of the cars I'm interested in don't even exist any more. You may just have to fill in the blanks with your imagination. Good luck with the rest of this build. I wish I could be of more help.

Norman.... I want to thank you sonmuch for trying for me. I hope the museam was cool to see the rest of the cars. I have a feeling that the Vega is in Mr Hendricks private collection that the public must not be able to see. I will have to see what I can find out on the cuda in Garlits museam.

You are correct that Prudhomme in ran the car for 2 races... I believe Beeline race way and think Pomona.... Pomona is a guess but I would believe that it was a southern Californa track. He didnt care for how it handled and went back to the Cuda.

It would be cool of I could find a magazine with the vega in it but havr no clue if it ever was. As you mentioned I will be filling those blanks in with my Imagination and with looking at a few cars from that era as well as trying to see what I can find on the cuda. Its what inhave been doing for some parts of tgis car that I couldnt see detail shots too. Thank you again for swinging by Hendricks Motorsports to see if it was on display.