Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

If you take a close look you can see that the oil filter housing has a push button quick release pin that holds it in place, and yes I am going to attempt to make it too...... yes I am nuts.... :lol:

Funny, Chris!

Chris.... I think your project doesn't look anything like that reference picture you posted. You should just box that puppy up and send it to me and cut your losses! Then start fresh on your Pro Mod project! :D:rolleyes: j/k

You are just killing this project and I know that you have many many hours into this project where it sets today. You should be extremely happy with your work of Art! Bill (Vintagedragfan) and I were talking this past weekend about everyone on this forum and the great talent that is housed on this site. It is just amazing the work that gets turned out on here, Pro Mod or anything drag related for that matter.

John... thank you buddy. Man I sure would love to take this build to GSL. I want to experience that show at least once.

Bart.... I am packing this model up and calling it quits.... you should be seeing a box in a few days.... :P;):lol: . So far I have 445 Hours into this build... :blink: wonder how many when its done... :lol: . I can't tell you how happy I have been with the way this is turning out. You and bill are so right that there are so many Top Notch builders on this forum. Everyone's talent just blows me away. I think we also have some great resources here to help each other out. I am totally stoked to be part of this amazing group and how you can ask other builders questions or advice and how helpful they are to lend a helping hand.

Richard.... Thanks buddy.... You are right I am probably more crazy than nuts...lol

Here is a quick afternoon teaser for everyone. I have been back working on my manifold again. I decided to start working on on the burst panel to change it up for a few. Here is the progress so far...

I started out by sorta making a make shift jig.... real high tech if you ask me ;) ..... more like Redneck Engineering... :lol: . Put down a piece of .015" thick styrene and taped it to my hobby mat. Then I sat the manifold on the hobby mat and this is to get the injector lines all at the same height for gluing them in place:

2v2uJyPutxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the parts that I have gathered for the burst panel and the start of the springs which I made from 30 gauge wire that I stripped:

2v2uJyPJYxAhe9C.jpg

I proceeded to cut off the burst panels spring and bolt, then drilled holes in the spots I cut off. Then I transfer drilled the holes into the manifold and cut the springs down to the correct length:

2v2uJyPQixAhe9C.jpg

Once I did that I had to mock it up and put it together to see how it looks:

2v2uJyPasxAhe9C.jpg

Here it it next to a picture that I found online and printed the pic out, not to shabby if I'd say so:

2v2uJyPHRxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Mike... thank you

Mike G... Thanks buddy. I will be getting those disks done for you this weekend and get them out this coming week.

Scott... Thanks man!

Brett... Thanks for the kind words...I know its a subtle detail but you are right it will make it stand out.

Derrick... thanks man and I haven't even gotten any paint on any of this yet....lol I am so itching to get the block and parts painted to see it together.

Tyrone... Thanks Bud... I need to pull out all of the tricks to keep up with everyone here ;)

ok another small update... All I have pretty much been working on this afternoon is the manifold..... I got the rear injector line locations redone so now they sit at the same angle as the rest of them. then it was Little things like sanding adding bondo..... spray a little primer sand some more add some more bondo...etc...lol So the manifold is now pretty much done other than I need to sand it down again just to clean some of the work up and reprimer and then it should be ready for paint... as well as I need to primer the pop off plate. I will say that I am finally happy with how it is turning out now.

Here is a shot of the manifold as to where it is now.... little more sanding and primer and we should be good to go:

2v2uJyPb6xAhe9C.jpg

Here is the other side:

2v2uJyP1YxAhe9C.jpg

Then I worked a little on the oil filter housing. sanding down edges and all I need to do now on this is glue my bracket I made and add a final primer coat and it will be ready for some Alclad:

2v2uJyPp7xAhe9C.jpg

Next up to work on is the oil pump which I will be scratch building and redoing the location for the oil lines in the oil pan. A Big thanks goes out to Dave (Comp1839) for some reference material to show me what type of oil pump and system that was used on this engine. We truly have great guys here on this board willing to help out when you ask them questions. Thank you

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks guys..... got a little more to show you from what I worked on yesterday. I first off have to say thank you to Dave (Comp1839) once again if it wasn't for his help I wouldn't have know what type of oil pump was ran in this car. He answered a few questions for me and here is the results so far. Take note that The oil pump isn't 100% finished in the design, I have a few little details left for it.

I started out by shaping some styrene from a reference pic. I measured it and scaled it down:

2v2uJyPcRxAhe9C.jpg

More parts that were cut and made from styrene that will be glued together:

2v2uJyPAkxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the new oil pump (left) and the oil pump that is supplied in the kit (right), Don't mind the hole in the middle of the pump, it is there for mock up purposes so I can bolt it to the block. I will actually be changing how it is mounted since I need to drill holes for smaller bolts to detail the pump out:

2v2uJyPssxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is with RB Motion fittings added to see how it will look, Fittings still need to be painted:

2v2uJyPPPxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is mocked up on the block and mounted with my bolt for mock up purposes. I even cut off some small Pro Tech braided line and put in the fittings to get a feel of the look:

2v2uJyPttxAhe9C.jpg

And for a teaser here is my Hobby room's workbench area:

2v2uJyP6DxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave.... without your help I wouldn't of been able to to do this. just wait because I still have a few little details to make this oil pump complete. Thank you again for being able to tell what type of system it was and which lines went where. And as far as my work area goes... I finally gave a a good cleaning this past weekend, it was a disaster for a while...lol

Rick... Thanks man!!