Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Well guys I sat down and did a little bit of work tonight. Not much but did get a little progress one. I worked on some interior tins that mount below the seat. I am happy with them but I may redo one of them because the piece of printing plate I used had a little bow in it. Anyway here are a few pics....

I had first made a template from a 3x5 card to get the shape I wanted and then I transferred it to the aluminum printing plate and cut the parts out:

DP-Army-Vega2558-1.jpg

Here I am just showing that I made it out of 2 pieces:

DP-Army-Vega2560-1.jpg

Upclose view of the panel:

DP-Army-Vega2555-1.jpg

Here it is test fitted into the chassis. I still need to determine where the drive shaft will be going thru the panel and cut the hole in for it:

DP-Army-Vega2561-1.jpg

Scott... thanks buddy for the kind words on my quality. You are right that it is consuming work but it will be worth it in the end with what I am shooting for. This will be my best build to date. I can't wait to finish it and start on the next few projects that have been in the back of my mind for a while...lol.

Joe... thanks man. Oh yeah I am trying to think if there is anything else I need to do to the chassis before paint. I know I have a couple of spots I need to Lay some bondo and still thinking of a few other things.

Well Its that time to get to the workbench and make some more progress. My plan is to build as much as I can this weekend as well as try to squeeze a few house chores in if I can :lol: ...lol Hope to have some updates and pics for you guys later.

Mike.... Thanks bud. Really feels great getting more accomplished on this.

Darryl... Thanks buddy. It sure is time to fire it up. You wanna flip the switch on the starter or would you prefer to sit in the seat ;) .

Hola Fellas..... Well last night I tinkered a little bit but didn't get very far because I was digging thru parts and aftermarket Items looking for a few things and then I kept bouncing back and forth on what part of this build I wanted to work on But I realized on the two panels I recently made that I was going to need to put a hole in them for the drive shaft to go thru. So last night I was hand sketching out how I was going to make the couplers and drive shaft. So today when I got the time I sat down and worked on these for a good few hours tonight. So far I am happy with how they turned out. I made everything out of brass tube, brass rod and aluminum tube. Let me show you the pics

Here are all of the pieces cut to make two couplers, I originally was going to make them all out of brass and solder it all. Well I realized that I was out of 3/32" tubing so I had to settle for 3/32" aluminum tubing and super glue some of the pieces:

DP-Army-Vega2563-1.jpg

I did solder these two pieces together, these two will be the "cup" portion of the coupler that the drive shaft sits in:

DP-Army-Vega2568-1.jpg

Here are the couples after they have been assembled and they just need to be prepped for primier:

DP-Army-Vega2573-1.jpg

this is the inside or "cup" portion as I called them earlier:

DP-Army-Vega2572-1.jpg

Here is the Drive Shaft with I just cut out of 1/8" brass rod and cut to length:

DP-Army-Vega2574-1.jpg

I had to take the parts and mock them up to see how it looked in the chassis and I am very happy with the results:

DP-Army-Vega2577-1.jpg

Here is a side view of the mock up:

DP-Army-Vega2580-1.jpg

Next up is to get the hole cut in the plates that mount below the seat for the drive shaft to go thru. Then during this process of mocking up the drive shaft and couplers I have realized that I think I have the gas pedal sitting to far back (close to the seat) and I need to move it forward and figure out how I am going to remount it. Better to have found this out now before I paint the chassis. After I relocate the gas pedal, I can get the rest of the chassis sanded and re-primered that way I can get some paint on it and have a rolling chassis done B) and thanks for looking.

Joe... thanks buddy.

Brad...thank you. I guess I am going above and beyond because I want this to be my best build to date. I can hardly wait to get more done. I feel this rolling chassis should be done soon. The front axle is pretty much done other than I just need to primer it again and hoping after that I can shoot Alclad on it but I am wanting to do a spoon test with the Alclad chrome with and with out the Alclad clear, Hoping that it doesnt tone the chrome down. I also have more parts really close to paint...tin work, seat but since its been so cold I have held off painting til it warms up a little.

Jim.... Thanks Buddy. I really need to get some drawings over to you for some other things I need made for this build. I know I keep saying it and I have been slacking on getting them drawn up but I am close with having the pulley's updated and the other is a fire bottle and possibly some parts for the fire suppression system (pieces that will mount on top of it). I hope you are doing well. I have seen some of your new work on rims and man are they impressive. I am going to have to order a set of those Magnum front wheels too. I just love those

Hey Dave... thanks for the pic. Some where I messed up when I was locating the pedal. not sure if it was before i moved the engine forward 1/2" or what but i will be fixing it and will located more like your pic. thank you for sharing it.

Mike... thanks buddy. I am trying to figure what color to go with. I know it will be some sorts steel color... alclad or testors metalizer lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellas... Been a few days since I posted updates... and I have a small one that I want to show you that I worked on this week. As I mentioned that I had my gas pedal to far back so I finally was able to get it moved to the correct location and looks much better. Besides that I added a little more to the gas pedal, the pieces that the morse cable fore the throttle linkage will connect too. I am currently working on how I am going to make the morse cable look like it should, so stay tuned for that. I should have pics up tomorrow with the proto type of it...lol

Here is the new location of the mounting plate that the gas pedal will mount too. You can see just to the right of it where I cut the old mounting tabs out:

DP-Army-Vega2595-1.jpg

Here is the modified gas pedal that I added some more detail to. A big Thanks goes to Dave (Comp1839) because he showed me how the cable should connect to the pedal:

DP-Army-Vega2599-1.jpg

And a mock-up of the gas pedal in place:

DP-Army-Vega2594-1.jpg

HI Chris...every time I see an update, it is outstanding....man, you are meticulous, but the great part is you have a vision, execute and succeed in a real big way! You look to be getting very close to the finishing stages....how bout a mockup shot of the whole thing? That would be great motivation for me as my next build after my Z28 Outlaw is a "Newstalgia" funny car tricked out somewhat. Not sure on the body make yet though, body work should be fun for that!

Bill... Thanks buddy. I am planning on working on this build for most of the day and hoping to make some good progress today. Was going to primer some stuff but It started raining last night. So we will see if I get a break on the rain and be able to primer on my patio...lol

Rob... Thanks for the kind words. I sure know what you mean on how you can get burnt on a build. I am feeling a little that way at the moment with this but I am having tons of fun with it. It's one of the reasons I started a curbside build which i will tinker a little here and there on so I can finish something since its been 2 years since I have completed a model and how long I have been working on this funny car. I have learned a lot though through out the process of this bigger build that when I do my next one. It will go much faster.

Jeff.... Thanks for the encouraging words. It means a lot. You are right that I have a vision with this build and its getting there, its been a little slower than I have wished for but with the out come that I want I feel its best not to rush it. But I am getting really close to finally be able to get the chassis painted and basically have a rolling chassis. Once I get my gas pedal stuff ( throttle cable...etc done) all really that is left for the cockpit area is to work on the searing gear box, make a fuel shut off lever (which I will probably draw up today and make out of printing plate). Then I need to get the mounting hole drilled into the chassis. Then it is clean up work on the chassis (sanding the primer and fixing a few blemishes and a little bondo work) then I should be good to go for a last coat of primer and then ready for paint. Also my front Axle is pretty much done I just need to primer it again and then its ready for Alclad chrome. Although I am going to do a spoon test with the alclad Chrome because i want to see how it looks with and with out their specific clear over it. I have been wondering if it would knock the shiny down on it or not because I really want to have clear over it to protect it from touching it, so it doesn't loose its finish.

I will also see what I can do about a mock up shot for ya.

Ok Fellas.... little sneak peak of what I though of last night and started and messed a little more on the Morse cable ( the throttle cable). I think I have really found a great way to make these look realistic. anyway gonna show you a quick pic and when I get a little more of it done I can break down some pics to show you all how to make it and what exactly I used on it.

Here is the Morse cable, now its not completely finished I need to get the length correct and make the connecting fitting. I have only worked on the side that will connect to the gas pedal but the opposite side that hooks up to the linkage on the injector hat should pretty much be the same:

DP-Army-Vega2604-1.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs