Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Steve... Thanks... I sometimes wonder if I am nuts trying to do some of these things on this build...lol

Jim... Thank you for the kind words. I see you are from Az too, not sure if you ever attend the Desert Scale Classic or not but its coming up in April. If you can make it I think you would enjoy it. I will have this build there hopefully finished but if not it will be still bringing it show the progress of it.

Bill... Thank you so much. I guess I am trying to out do myself lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Joe... thank you my friend.

So I started back on the tin work tonight and made a little progress. here are some pics...

Here is the tin work:

DP-Army-Vega4614-1_zps26031f4b.jpg

I started out by working on how i was going to pin the front of the tin work to the car but prior to that I had scribbed basically the fire wall port of it off or should say made it so it was a little loos so I could fix the alignment on it and the mid plate in the chassis first, then I used the pins already in the kit for the guides and had to adapt them to my tin work. I will still have to trim them down:

DP-Army-Vega4617-1_zpsa719cba7.jpg

Then I cut the area around the blower out so it would clear the blower and I could put the body on:

DP-Army-Vega4616-1_zps00c28cbe.jpg

Put the body on to check the fit:

DP-Army-Vega4608-1_zpsb18abc90.jpg

Full shot of the car thought it was cool to finally have the tin work in the body as well as the blower sitting out if as well:

DP-Army-Vega4607-1_zps5b5a462a.jpg

I then decided to take the tin work out and put it on the chassis to see the clearance I had for the engine. Now I am debating if I need to change the angle on the dash just a tad to give me more room for the fuel distribution block and fuel lines for the manifold. Something that wasn't taken into consideration when I was first doing the tin work. It should be a pretty easy fix at this point just debating if I should just go ahead and do it that way I know I will have the room and not screw myself later on...lol:

DP-Army-Vega4628-1_zpsa08c1df7.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4629-1_zps5c2df1e6.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

I'm not even worthy of commenting on your work but I say fix it now while you can, rather than force something else latter. Just my opinion. I am a complete newb to all this with a whopping one sorta build under my belt, so take it for what it's worth. lol

Your work is some of the stuff that inspirers me to want to learn this art, so thanks for the inspiration and the lessons you are teaching while doing this build. I am watching and learning.

Thanks

Bob

Your work is some of the stuff that inspirers me to want to learn this art, so thanks for the inspiration and the lessons you are teaching while doing this build. I am watching and learning.

I agree with this completely. I truly enjoy this build every time I visit here in Drag Racing Models. Your work is spectacular, this Funny Car will be a real Masterpiece when it's done. The tin work looks very good, as well as the Escape Hatch. Keep it coming.

John... thanks brother. Feels good to pretty much be done with the fabrication on the hatch and moving on to other parts of this build. I cant wait to get the body in primer.

Bob... thank you so much for the kind words. I appreciate you chiming in on the dash. I couldn't agree with you more that it's best to fix it now than have problems later. If you ever have questions feel free ask. Wr have a bunch of great guys on this forum and i will do my best at answering questions.

Niko... thanks so much my friend. I appreciate it. After i getthenlittle fiz with the dash i am planning on stsring to fabricate the dog house in the dash that will wrap around the blower cut out and butt up against the front windshield. Cant wait to have the tin work in primer. Although it gonna suck having to cut, trim and glue all of the rivets in place....lol

Al... thank you for the kind words. I will make sure to bring the model and not the real thing to one of your shows...lol ;)

Mike... yoy know me too well....lol i am planning starting to cut it apart and fix it tonight. I think it should be a quick and easy fix the angle of the dash which will allow the extra space needed.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris....I would say (like everyone else) your nuts, crazy, insane...must live alone...must drink a lot after you leave the work bench.. BUT thats all been being said for the last 40 pages of this thread already!

Truly this thing is amazing and seems like every time you add a detail that detail get 4 more details to it. I am really enjoying watching the build of this car (as I am sure everyone else is as well) along with the fact that 90% of all the detailing is made of plastic or PE stuff and not custom made on a lathe to show if you have the time and the want you really can make everything you need with out having to have a mini machine shop for casting plant in the garage (not that those things are bad by any means) So thanks for all your hard work and attention to ALL the details on this bad boy its a HUGH learning experience for me at least.

Tim post away we all learn from everyone.

I'm hoping to have some pics up tonight. I've got about an hour or so left until I call it a wrap. That's what I love about this site, I've mad some very good cars in my past and on one occasion even won a pretty big local contest but I also make some real junk ( especially this car I'm about to post) and no matter how good or bad y'all make people feel like ever car looks as good as the next guys. Awesome group of people on here and the most talented modelers I've seen. Thanks

Mike... I appreciate the kind words. I will get a good side view shot for you tonight and show a side shot of the real car just for you ;)

Dave... I really want to thank you for the kind words and for saying what you did. It means a lot. I have been having a lot of fun sharing this with everyone and showing you all pretty much step by step how I am building it. I sometimes even think I am crazy and nuts as to how far I have taken some of the detail :lol: . Some things I think... hey I wanna try doing this and for example the hatch. I knew i wanted to cut the hatch out and make it work. Then as you said from just cutting the hatch out and making it work I ended up realizing that there is more to it than that since I am trying to make it look like the real thing. I never would have though i would of spend the hours on the hatch when I first stared it. I figured it would just take a few days...boy I was wrong...haha :lol: . As you said most of this is pretty much plastic and phot-etch, not to mention there are some machined aluminum parts as well which I have purchased. One day I would love to turn some of my own parts but for now I am having a blast making things the way I have been doing.

Tim... Thank you for the kind words. Hey don't feel like you can't post your stuff. I would love to see your Vega/Monza. One thing I can say is that I have learned so much from many of the talented builders on this forum and I love seeing other peoples progress and builds. Its what make this hobby so much fun for me. Also I have gotten to meet a bunch of builders from here at a few different shows and That has to be probably one of the best things. Please post your builds I would love to see them

Alan... Thank you, That would be really sweet to take it to some of the different shows around the US like the NNL's.