Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Brad... Thank you my friend. I gotta make it right ;)

John... Thanks Brother. I just wish I could build some of my stuff as fast as you :D ... let me borrow one of your mini me's :lol:

Henry... Thank you.

Scott... Thanks Bud!

Danno... Thank you. Wait till you get to see it person next time...hehe. Isn't there a swap meet in the next few months or is the next one not til Desert Scale? If there is another one before the show I will have to bring the in progress to the swap meet like I usually do B)

Tyrone... Thank you sir, I have been enjoying getting these updates done.

Dave... Thank you. You are correct the roof is not flat. I actually did some work to the hatch and inner body to sand them flat. You will see in the updated photo I will be posting next.

Stay Tuned, I am downloading updated pics right now and will have them up shortly...... B)

Ok Fellas.... I have been working on this quite a bit the past 2 nights and probably have about 9 to 10 hours or more....lol on this. Some of it was some tedious work and time consuming but well worth it with the results. Any way I won't ramble on and will show the pics ....

So after I got the lip for the hatch to sit on, I then had to make the part of the body that the hinge was going to sit on straight because the roof has a curve to it. I made it as flat as I could by using a make shift sanding block as well as a technique with flat tip Xacto blade (forgot to take a pic of this) that I used to scrape the plastic to get it to the shape I wanted:

DP-Army-Vega4390-1_zps063293b6.jpg

I then started to work on the mounting holes on the hinge. Since I spliced multiple miniature hinges together I needed to redrill my mounting holes so they would be uniform. So I used one of my stainless rulers that has marks in them that I got from Micro Mark and used it to space out the holes:

DP-Army-Vega4394-1_zps4e43cba2.jpg

Once I got two of the holes laid out..... actually the two end holes lined up perfectly with the ruler and I spaced it evenly with a total of 6 bolts. I know that the actual car had 10 of them but talked it over with a friend and we both agreed that it would of been too bunched up. Was then going to go with 8 as of yesterday but then tonight when I sat down I decided to change i to 6:

DP-Army-Vega4398-1_zps3f1e361b.jpg

When I got the bolts tightened down I then used the marking ruler as a guide to drill the holes:

DP-Army-Vega4401-1_zps710b76c6.jpg

Once that was done I started drilling the mounting holes into the body. starting with the ends first and then I would use the hinge to transfer drill the holes for the correct spacing:

DP-Army-Vega4408-1_zps8e415d0b.jpg

Bottom side with the nuts tightened up:

DP-Army-Vega4409-1_zpsd351273e.jpg

From that point I continued to transfer the holes as shown here:

DP-Army-Vega4413-1_zpsd33a43d1.jpg

I then placed bolts in the holes to get an idea of what it will look like. I won't be using the hex head on the final product but i am going to take the hex head and sand the head down to look more like a rivet as well as to look more like the reference pics I have of it:

DP-Army-Vega4414-1_zpsabcba19b.jpg

Here is all of bolts mounted into the hatch after drilling all of the holes:

DP-Army-Vega4418-1_zps61ed54be.jpg

So after I got the hatch bolted to the body I noticed that the holes on the hatch were not perfectly straight. SO I will be going back filling the holes by gluing rod in the hatch and then I am going to fill the holes in that side of the hinge and redo the holes by using the holes from the other part of the hinge as my guide. I was unhappy with myself for not noticing but I didn't set the 2nd hinge up the same when I drilled those holes. I took pics from both side so you can see how the bolts didn't line up in a straight line on the Hatch:

DP-Army-Vega4420-1_zps2e099199.jpg

View from the left side of the car:

DP-Army-Vega4423-1_zpsf8efc8b9.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here is a front shot of it. I am really happy with how it turned out other than the fact that I messed the holes up on the hatch but I will be an easy fix after I thought about it for a sec:

DP-Army-Vega4425-1_zps7fe62ddf.jpg

Here is all of the bolts with nuts on them other than the two in the middle. I ran out and will have to make an order to Scale Hardware for more nuts and bolts:

DP-Army-Vega4428-1_zpsfcf9ebec.jpg

The Escape Hatch functions very nicely and happy with how smooth it is and I believe I got it to open just like I saw on the youtube video of Prodhumme explaining the car:

DP-Army-Vega4431-1_zps2e999ea8.jpg

The inside of the hatch. I still have to cut a hole out for the lexan window that is on the car as well as adding a lip around the hatch and the latch that will function to lock it closed:

DP-Army-Vega4433-1_zps5827ea89.jpg

Impressive!

Chris, there's supposed to be a swap meet in March but presently there's a bit of a scheduling snafu ~ don't know yet how it will be resolved, but I'll circulate the word as soon as I know the finalized date.

But of course, there's GoodGuys 5th Spring Nationals on March 7-8-9 at Westworld! ;)

Larry... Thank you.

Dave... Thank you my friend. Trying to build as clean as you do ;). Like gow I changed the mounting holes from 8 to 6. I think it looks much cleaner and i believe the spacing is about 3" in 1:1.

Brad... Thank you. You are so right that planning something out and then it takes way more time than expected. But I dont mind putting the extra time in for it to turn out the way i want. Sad thing is that i wished I would of noticed the mistake i did when drilling the holes in the hatch side of the hinge as well as the hatch. The fix should be easy but gonna take a few hours to redo. I seem to redo everything trying to make it perfect...lol

Henry... thank you

Danno... thank you and thanks for the info. I will have to get my 57 pick up and 1/43rd scale Merc done for that show. Not sure if the funny car will be ready by then.

Clint... Thank you for the kind words. I sure am hoping so with every little detail I am trying to do.

sflam... Thank you. I am still not done with details on the hatch so stay tuned. I have a couple little details up my sleeve...lol

Scott... I noticed from the reference pics that I was going to have to do something for that. when I get the holes modified on the hatch and hinge I will show the reference pic and the body next to one another for you. It was a very small detail I noticed with the portion you are talking about on both sides of the hinge that I just had to add ;)

Micheal... Thank you

John... What can I say Brother but thank you. I think I have been keeping on track this week with your advice about getting to the bench for at least 30 mins a day :blink::lol:

Joe... Thank you my friend.