Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

You've come this far with the stunning creation and a minor set back causing a delay is bound to happen on a build of this magnitude. Don't finish this for a deadline, finish it for you so that when its done and sitting on display, you can look at it and say its the best it can be. No regrets. Those 3D printed parts are exceptional. 

Hang in there brother.

the parts look amazing Chris!  Killer job on them.   Are you going to offer up any of them for sale now that you have done all the design work...hard parts done....and I would have to say there are some of the nicest pieces I have ever seen in any scale my friend!

AS far as getting her done by April.....if it isnt what your wanting...dont rush it man.....cause you will only hate every time you look at it....the DCS will be back next year as well.....we can wait to see it then.

Plus after the new format of the forum...you lost some pages on this thread....you need 12 more to get back to 200!  got to hit mark!   lol

Edited by Davewilly

Simon... I still owe the pics of the parachute mount bracket.

Brad... I haven't had much to share lately that's real exciting. I finally got the last coat of clear on the wood grips for the steering wheel done and finally happy with them. Will have to get some pic posted of them. I also have gotten the rims drilled for the RB Motion Valve Stems. Then I just have been working on the body sanding and doing body work so I can get another coat of primer on it and have it ready for paint.

Awesome Chris...could you post a quick pic?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Hey All I wanted to say something real quick before I head to bed..... I want to thank you all for your kind comments regarding things. I know I felt I had a major set back and was completely bummed last night but today after thinking about things after I got home from work.... I am actually thinking that I can fix the belt and not have to wait for 3 weeks for a new one. Although I am still thinking about ordering another one just in case. Any way I will respond to each of you tomorrow like I normally do. I am just wiped out from being back at work today after being sick... well still am just not 100% at the moment.

Chris talk a deep breath and relax. At this stage trying to rush it is the perfect  way to have problems and mess something up.

Shot to finish it for next year. Take a breather from it and grap a kit from out of your stash and do a simple out of the box build.  If you don't have something try the new Revell 1929 Ford Roadsrer. Goes together really wellvand no drama.

When you start putting deadlines on a project it usually ends in ddisaster.  I done it more times than I want to admit.

Good Morning Fellas.... Well today is a new day and going to start fresh today and hopefully be able to fix things when I get some bench time.

Clayton... Thank you. I think that I have learned that thru this build which will apply to future builds, that I will need to have some other simple builds going on so when I need a break from a detailed build like this I can jump over to something else and then back to the main build. The finish line is getting closer and I know I just want to make it there and finish it because I have a bunch of other cool builds that I want to start but I hve to make it over the this build so its not hanging over my head anymore.

Brent... Thank you. In all Honesty I am going to be making these parts available on Shapeways but probably won't  happen until after our show here in April. I need to utilize the time I have left between now and April 9th to be able to get as much as I can done on this funny car, which is only 6 weeks away.

Joe... Thanks buddy....Oh yeah I know all too well what happened....lol its called I soaked them too long in Acetone to remove the wax material on them. the belts first swelled up a tad bit but then after they were able to dry out they shrank a tad and what no one could see in the pics is that the belt was pulling the Idler pulley into the center of the block. So when you looked straight down on it the Idler pulley was out of Wack and not straight like it was supposed to be. Not sure if it makes sense how I described it or now. But I am going to try something to fix it.

Bill... Thank you. This build has been fun. and then there have been many moments where it has been challenging and also very rewarding when I have seen some new things come together for the first time that I didn't know if I could do or not. Like you mentioned there have been many times where I could just dive in and spend hours at the bench. Then I have had some moments where  I couldn't focus at the bench. I will have to scale down the Barrel valve and run it thru Shapeways Analyzer to see if it will have any issues printing but it won't be too hard to take the 1/16th scale parts and scale them down to 1/25th. Give me some time and I will check it out and hopefully make some of these parts available in 1/25th scale as well.

Brad... Thank you my friend.... you have been along on this ride with me on the Journey for many years. A few of you AZ locals have been able to see this build in its various stages at our local swap meets. You know that I want to be proud of this build when its done and that's the main reason I have gone back an redone so many things on this build because I wasn't completely happy with how I did things. I have learned so much along the way that will help me approach my future builds

Dave... Thank you. As mentioned above, I am planning on making these parts available, Predominantly focusing on 1/16th scale stuff but I may include some 1/8th scale and could even do them in 1/25th. Will just take a little extra time is all. I am also assuming that by the missing pages that there is still a side bet out there you guys have going on how many pages this thread will be by the time its done... :lol::P

Manfred... Thank you very much. I am going to take that as a big compliment.

Brad... Revell should use you for their Artwork for their decals ;)

Danno... Thank you. I know time is slipping away and the big question is will you be able to tease me about this build being done or is it going to be the rolling joke for the year... :lol:

Mike.. Thank you very much

Simon.... Thanks, I apologize that I didn't get those pics  yet. I still have a little work to finish up on that parachute bracket but I will try to get some pics up of what I have so far later today for you. I also haven't forgotten about the breathers for you. I will scale them down.

Bob... Thank you. I understand about rushing a project just to get it done and I know I told myself that I would never do that on this build but I do think I can still get it done. I just need to focus and make progress each day for the next 6 weeks. Also I have already got a build sitting on my shelf with my name on it that is going to be a box stock build. Straight out of the box with no detail added to let my brain wind down from this build. I am sure people won't be able to believe me that I could do one box stock

Clayton gave you some great advice Chris. I also prescribe to the big build, little build theory. 

I'm taking a break from the Nomad and building a Camo Batman Tumbler for the son of friends. I'm having a good time doing it and it's progressing nicely.

I'm coming out of hibernation and this is a great ice breaker. It's in All The Rest if you haven't seen it. It might even show up at DSC for grins and giggles.

Glad to hear you're taking a shot at it. I hate it when my idler is all caddywampus.

Chris man, those parts look great! Maybe one day I'll get to the point of being able to design such intricate parts, but for now, it's just the basics for me. I especially like the parts for the body cart. those are super cool. 

I know all to well how it feels to want to shelf something. It happens a lot more when you suck at building. Trust me on that lol!  I say push through it, because what you have done here so far is simply incredible, beautiful, and downright awesome!

Can't wait to see it with all those new parts on it!

For what it's worth Chris, I know you don't have any "quit" in you, so you'll make the serious push and if it's done, then so be it.  If not, you'll be that much closer to the finish.  No sense rushing anything on her now because if something needs re-working, you'll regret that even more.  Just do it your way and we'll look forward to the day when you post the "Under Glass" section.  After you stop by the tables and pick up your awards of course.  Cheers my friend, Tim

Chris the 3D parts are gorgeous. 

As long as you take course of doing your best without compromise as you done throughtout this build then I say go for it.

You definitely have to get something done every day if you are going to have a chance of meeting your goal. 

Looking forward to seeing you get this bad boybdone.

Brad... Thank you... As you know I am still trying to hit a date...lol

Joe... Sounds like you are having a blast. we all need those little breaks from time to time. You should bring it to the DSC

Clint... thank you so much. I am in a mindset right now of just pushing thru any hurdles that I have too. I am super anxious to get these  new parts prepped and painted and can't wait to see them on the car.

Tim... Thank you. You know me too well...lol Right now I am not in any quit mode...lol. Although I took a stab with the plating kit again today and that sucker frustrated me again. I think I need to try a different method...lol I am seriously thinking of buying another style of plating kit. I don't understand why I am not able to plate anything successfully with the the Nickle plate. Maybe I should get the chrome one and that would work better.

Brent... Thank you very much. You do not know how bad I want to start putting the engine together and seeing it with all of the fittings and braided lines hooked up.

Bob... Thank you very much. I am super happy with these new 3D printed parts that came back. I have a little bit of prep work and then I can get them all painted up.. I am planning on  getting to the bench each day for the next 6 weeks and I can say this that is should be at the NNL West in 2017.... :lol::lol:

Ok Fellas... I have a very late nite post or very early morning.. How ever you see it  ;). So I wanted to let you all know that I have fixed the blower belt and it is ready for another light sanding and then maybe one more light coat of primer Then I can paint it. I have also been doing a lot of sanding on the body and I have to be honest I am getting tired of it...lol but it needs to be done and have just a tad bit more then I need to add some more body filler in a couple of spots then She should be ready for for another coat of primer.... Fingers crossed that it will possibly be the last primer coat hopefully. Here is the progress I have made since Friday....

Here is the fixed blower belt:

Now there is its on the engine:

Here is an up-close shot of the belt engaged with the crank pulley:

Here is the engagement with the blower pulley:

Here is a couple more shots of belt installed on the engine:

I got the inside of the body all sanded and ready for the flat black I will be spraying on it:

I also have been spending a lot of time the past couple days sanding the outside of the body smooth. It does need a little bit of body filler in a few spots Then it should be good to go for more primer: