Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

WOW!

I just paged through all 182 pages of this build, it took me two days and I only looked at pictures! I am absolutely amazed at the attention to detail and the dedication to building this model. This thread started in March of 2011 which means this is well over 3 years in the build! Aside from my wife and a few jobs I have had over the years, I have not been able to stick with anything that long!

Chris, you are an amazing artist and craftsman, your dedication to perfection is second to none.

Unfortunately, I don't really posses the words to describe how great this model is, all I can come up with is "WOW"!

Thanks for sharing this project and showing me what real dedication and attention to detail is all about.

Chris D

Holy @&%$¶ Chris. That is a thing of beauty. The forum software has sensors that won't let me say what I really want. The emblems on each end really set this thing off.

I wish you successful luck when trying to contact Skip. Sounds like that has some possibilities.

Chris.... thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to go thru all of the pages here. I know there is alot to go thru. When I first stsrted this build I was challenging myself to do an all out detailed build and to take this build to a level i have never built at before just to see if I could. I wanted to go farther than I ever have before on a build and I have to be honest I didn't know if I could do it at first bit glad I challenged myself to go all out on a build. I currently have a lite over 1200 hours into this build so far and would really like to finish this on so I can move onto my next build. I have had struggles and moments where I feel burnt out but i winlt let it keep me down.

Henry... thank you

Brad... thank you. I think you are right that the emblema really set it off. I still need to make a pocket on the front panel for the mooneyham and I may have to see if you can do the "Mooneyham" "Blowers" to fit that area. I just need to get it added and then I can give you dimensions. I think doing a decal for that will be much easier than trying to have it printed into the part. We will see what happens when i tey to get ahold of Skip. I will keep fingers crossed....lol

Hakan.... thank you. I cant wait to get this sent off to shapeways to print. I want to see in my hand and in primer...lol Although I would like to draw up the K style barrel valve before I do so I can have all the parts printed at the same time.... fuel pump, Injector Hat, blower and barrel valve. I havent forgotten. Your PM just been busy

Mike.... thank you. I know i need to get bench time in. This weekend is going to be all aboit building other than some hoise chores I need to do around the house... lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ok Fellas... wanted to show you more work I have done today on the Blower and Injector Hat design. I think I pretty much have it completed other than I need to add the Injector ports on the injector hat and a couple of clearance holes to the blower housing. Pretty happy with it so far. I put lettering on the front panel of the blower but not sure how it is going to prints so I will probably print one with lettering and one with out. the one with out I was considering doing some thing with a decal. Any way here are a few pics and I will show you a few shots of the real deal to go along with the 3D models...

Here is the Back plate of the real car:

7-backplate_zpsb1e12cbe.jpg

Here is the back plate of the 3D model. Now you will see that I have two different bolt styles as to figure out which will look the best. Most likely I will be going with the Socket Head Cap Screws as that is what is on the real blower:

BlowerampInjectorHatAssembly-13_zps30fd1

Here is a side view of the real thing:

7-871mooneyham_zpsa8759f76.jpg

Here is the 3D model and I decided to add the boss and "Mooneyham" on the side like the real thing:

MooneyhamBlowerAssembly-3_zps8950b1e1.jp

Here is a straight on view of the front plate:

BlowerampInjectorHatAssembly-14_zpsa69d1

Here are some more shots of the blower and Injector Hat assembled.

MooneyhamBlowerAssembly-4_zps5c4fcdb6.jp

BlowerampInjectorHatAssembly-11_zps21aa3

BlowerampInjectorHatAssembly-12_zps329cf

BlowerampInjectorHatAssembly-10_zpsf3676

Ok Fellas... time for me to go do a little work on the build and take a break from the 3d Modeling. I need a change of pace at the moment...lol Hope to have some progress pics later for you.

Edited by Mooneyzs

This build is mind boggling. I can't wait to see it finished. I saw in one of your posts that you were trying to get the Hendricks people to take photos for you. I live about 40 miles from Hendricks Motorsports. Is the Prudomme car on display in the museum ? If it is, I would gladly go take some pics for you and post them, as I would like to see the car myself.

This build is mind boggling. I can't wait to see it finished. I saw in one of your posts that you were trying to get the Hendricks people to take photos for you. I live about 40 miles from Hendricks Motorsports. Is the Prudomme car on display in the museum ? If it is, I would gladly go take some pics for you and post them, as I would like to see the car myself.

Hot dang Chris, this may be just the ticket.

Hakan... Thank you. I sure hope the printed part turns out as good as seen here.

Norman.... Thank you for the kind words on this build. I can't tell you how excited I will be to finally finish this build. That is so cool you only live 40 miles from Hendricks motorsports yes this Army Vega Funny Car is displayed there now. Mr Hendricks bought it from Prudhomme over a year or more I believe. You don't know how much that would mean to me if you could get pics of it for me. I would be more than happy to pay you for your time if you ever de died to take a trip there. No need to make a special trip just for me. I was told by the staff at Hendricks motorsports in the email when they replied that no pictures are allowed and visitors aren't even allowed back where the funny car is displayed. Made me think why even have it on display if you won't let people look at it...lol I can copy and paste the email that I sent to them. I did have a list of 30 items I was hoping to get pics of. This past year mr Hendricks bought two more of Mr. prudhommes funny cars.....Two of the hot wheels funny cars. Let me know if you would like me to post the email.

Brad.... You are right... That would be the ticket. I can only hope that they would allow people to see the car and take pics of it.

Edited by Mooneyzs

I don't understand why they would put the car in the museum and not let the public see it either. I have been to The Childress Museum, Petty's, and a few others, but never to Hendrick's. Maybe they have it with his personal collection and only let the public see the Nascar collection. I don't know. I go up that way on a regular basis, and I'll probably be up there next week. Go ahead and post the e-mail if you like. I will check it out as soon as I can. As I said, I would like to see and get pics of these cars also. I do know that Rick Hendricks has a huge collection of his own cars up there ( Vettes, etc. ) and I fear that the Prudomme cars may be with those. I think he just lets family and V.I.P. s see them. Anyway I'll find out as soon as I can.

Norman.. I don't get it either but maybe you are right that it is in his personal collection and I am not sure. I appreciate you checking it out. Here is the email that I had sent to them:

To Whom it May Concern,

Hello, I am writing in regards to the 1974 Army Vega Funny Car that Mr. Hendrick Purchased from Don Prudhomme a while back. It is my understanding that is displayed in the Hendrick Performance Museum. I know this may sound like an odd question or request But I was wondering if there was any possible way to have you guys take some pictures of the car for me.
I am building a 1/16th Scale Replica of Don Prudhommes 1974 Army Vega Funny Car. This build was started out from a Revell 1974 Army Vega Funny Car plastic model kit. I started this build back in March of 2011 and still currently working on it. I am looking for some specific details and when I have tried to search for pictures on the web there are limited pics of this car as Don Prudhomme only ran it for 2 races back in the day. The only pictures I have been able to really find was of the restored car on the snake racing website under his collection.
I have heavily modified and scratch build many components on this build. I currently have 1200 hours into this build and I am trying to build this as accurate to the restored car as I can. Here is a link to a model car forum that I have been posting the progress of this build so you can see the work I am doing on it:
This build will be entered in competition in many major model car shows. I would appreciate and be so thankful if there was anyway you guys could help with some pictures. I know that my list may be a little long but it is all of the little details I want to have perfect on this build. Here is what I am hoping you guys can take for me:
-Under body structure support
-Body latch Mechanism
-Body Tin work (both sides, section that straddles the motor mount plate, the rear how it goes around roll cage from under the car)
-pics body tin work through the side windows
-Escape Hatch hinge (is it underneath or on top)
-Rear Body structure support
-Parachute line mount (does the line get hooked to a bracket off the rear end or chassis?)
-Parachute release lever location
-Fuel Shut off Lever
-Brake handle
-Pic of fire bottle ( from both sides as well as the release pin and pull handle)
-Pic of the 5 point restraint and locations where the restraints mount to the chassis and how the restraint is attached
-Pic of the gas and clutch pedals
-Pic of the transmission and reverse lever on how its mounted to transmission
-Pic of the rear end
-Pics of the engine (both side views, front rear to be able to capture all of the lines where they are hooked up)
-Picture of the oil pressure gauge and if possible the location on the block where its tied into.
-close up pic of the "K" Style Barrel Valve and the linkages connected from the barrel valve to the injector hat
-Pic of the throttle cable with the spring connected to the injector and to the blower
-Pic of the injector lines into the manifold (so I can see the color of the B Nuts)
-Pic of the injector lines into the injector (so I can see the color of the B nuts)
-Pic of the fuel distribution blocks the injector lines come from
-close up pic of the distributor
-close up pic of the Mallory ignition box
-pic of the fuel pump and the fuel shut off valve
-Pic of the oil filters
-Pic of the line connected to the headers and the water fill port attached to the heads (not exactly sure what its called)
-Pic of the seat area from both sides
-pic of the parachute and parachute lines
-Pic of the overflow tank
-Pic of the body from the front, rear and sides
-Pic of the rocker panel that is black on the side of the body and can you let me know if the body is just painted black there or is the black piece a separate thin metal panel
I was wondering if you could also take pics of the fire suit that is in the display case next to the car from all angles as well as the helmet. I was thinking of painting up a driver figure to look just like the the fire suit in that display case which will be displayed along with this replica. You don't know how grateful and appreciative I would be if there was any way that you guys could help out on this information for me. Also if there is any way that you could pass the message along to Mr. Hendrick so he could take a look at the Replica of this funny car that I am building. I want to thank you for taking the time to read this message and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.
Sincere Regards,
Chris Sobak
again here was their response
Chris:
Thank you for your interest in our Snake Vega Funny Car and it sounds like you have a tremendous project going. I will admit your request was unusual but I understand your need of detail. Unfortunately we don't have the personnel or time to do this for you. Photography is normally prohibited and access to the car is restricted in its current Hendrick Heritage Center location. Sorry I wasn't more help but best of luck to you in finding the information you need as well as the completion of your project.

Infrastructure Manager
Hendrick Motorsports
4400 Papa Joe Hendrick Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28262
704.453.2161 work

Chris I think at this point you are going to have to use what you have. Nobody can dispute what you do if there isn't more to go on. Have you tried to see if there are other cars of that vintage that might help. Also you know who did the chassis you might be able to use to help fill in some of the blanks

Chris,

Amazing detail, will be fascinating to see the level of detail that the 3D printing will allow.

On an aside, I have been discussing modelling in a fantastic FB group named the Glory Days of Drag Racing. Much of the recent discussion has been about how Revell worked the deals to advertise on so many of the 70's AA/FC cars (McCulloch, Snow, etc). Basically, Revell offered up a free paint job (remember, this is the pre-wrap days where everything was hand-lettered) if the owners would incorporate the Revell name into their car...I also was able to have them identify my first model kit, the Revellion FC (A Plymouth Valiant on a digger chassis, probably 1967 or 1968). It's awesome that MANY of the top racers of the day grew up modelling, and many still collect kits (though they're busy on the 1:1 cars and don't build kits). We got on the subject of 3D printing and I shared the amazing blower/hat you drew up w/ them as a fantastic example of what modelling has evolved to. Hope you don't mind!

Joe

Gabe... I know my list was pretty long but I was going big or going home by asking for all of these things. I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. The pics I have dobt give me evwrything I need.

Henry... thanks. Yeah it would of been nice if they could of helped but its ok that they can't. I knew how long my list was and that most likely they would of said they couldnt do it or the big list scared them away. Anyway I wont let it stop me from buding this car.

Bob... that is pretty much what I have been doing. Using evey pic I have of this funny car and filling in the blanks with other cars from this era the best I can.. as well as making the best judgement and assumotions I can by going with things how i think it may have been. It was a john Buttera (spell?) Chassis.

Joe... I cant wait to get these parts I have designed printed to see how they turn out. I dont mind at all you sharing this build over at that glory days of drag racing page. I sent a requeat to join the group. I have to say it was so cool back in the day when everything was painted and the lettering was done by hand. I am not a big fan of wrapping the cars. Doesnt look as good.

Edited by Mooneyzs