Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Don't forget the manifold gasket ???LOL Look great Chris

What Mike said, I know nothing about the older motors... But most don't run gaskets over the valley. It is just a bead of gasket stuff across the front and back. And just gaskets on the intake runner inlets on the heads.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

The engine is just awesome looking Chris, it'll be a killer when it's done. As for the fuel lines, being as you are going as realistic as possible, I think since most of the pics you have looked at show them angled, I'd go that way. (Really, I wouldn't even try it! LOL!......well, when I get around to doing a 1/16th build, I just might, to try & keep up with you guys!).

Mike .... Thanks buddy... LOL

Jason... I still need to make some gaskets for that area.

Dave.... I was totally thinking the same thing, I have been thinking that I am gonna try and make out of small rod and hopefully be able to drill straight thru it as well.

Bob... Thanks man. I kept looking at as many pics I could find of this detail and it seemed everyone had the 4th one to the back of the manifold not under the blower area.

Bart... you are correct. Maybe I need to make the front and back a different color... like orange to represent silicone. I also thought it was easier to make a piece to fit all the way across since it wasn't going to be seen and as well as how I have the bolts set up no way to hold the gasket into place unless I glued them. but I could do that at the moment I do glue them in. So its making me think now.

Richard... Thanks man. Yea I have decided to keep them angled since that's how most of the pics I found were plus they are done, other than I need to go back add a little detail to them. and yes you need to do a 1/16th scale build, they are a lot of fun :D

Well I never did make it to the bench today like I was planning, it was one of those days I couldn't get my lazy butt in gear. Hopefully I will get to make some good progress this week on it.

Bart... you are correct. Maybe I need to make the front and back a different color... like orange to represent silicone. I also thought it was easier to make a piece to fit all the way across since it wasn't going to be seen and as well as how I have the bolts set up no way to hold the gasket into place unless I glued them. but I could do that at the moment I do glue them in. So its making me think now.

Chris, I think you are on the right track.... but need to determine what direction you want to go... LOL I would even suggest using something like a silicone instead of a gasket. Take and make a gap in the part and put some RTV in between the parts. This way you can say it actually resembles a 1:1. :D Besides having that gap will give you the ability for some of it to squeeze out and show that Blue.

I would never take the time to put so much detail in a build, for one I don't have the patience and for another the talent. I am so glad that there are people such as yourself that do. This build is a pleasure to watch and I always look forward to your next installment. Keep the updates coming !

Bart... You have me thinking man on doing something different for that gasket. I pulled out some of my Hi-temp RV that is a black/grayish color (it was the only color I had, thought I had some orange but didn't, I may go to the auto parts store and get a different one if the test sample works like I want it to), squeezed some of it out on wax paper and smashed it flat and then let dry and i will go back and pull the way paper off and then I could cut the pieces in strips and see how it would work and look. I may do another test like you said take a piece of plastic cut a groove in it and then lay a bead of it in the groover to make it look more like it was applied and squeezed out. We will see which looks best but I think either will look pretty cool.

Ray... Thank you for the kind words. Its has been a really fun journey so far and it keeps getting funner. I am anxious on getting this thing done so I can go on to the next project but I am enjoying this one at the moment. Not sure if you made it out to the Desert Scale Classic this past April but I will have this one completed for next years DSC :D

Phantom.... Thanks man. I think the gaskets add that extra touch to it.

Joe... Thanks man. I am glad you are enjoying the gaskets. Take my idea and use it on your build. That's the one thing I love about this modeling community is that we all can learn from one another and share our ideas to become better builders. Trust me I have seen things in your build that I am keeping in the back of my mind that I will be using when I get to my Pro Mod build.

Good Morning Gents..... I was able to do a little more work on this last night. I pretty much just focused on the Blower Manifold. As you know I had started on the injector lines and was happy with were I started but after asking all of you about how I should do the line below the flare nut. I took what you guys had said and came up with an idea. I couldn't be happier, it sorta just came to me when I was sitting at the bench last night.

I started out by deciding that I was going to use Evergreen 3/64" (.047") O.D. rod to make the base for the flare nut to sit on. With that being my starting point, I started out by drilling out my original holes in the manifold to be able to slip the 3/64" rod in to:

2v2uJysLfxAhe9C.jpg

After I had gotten the manifold drilled out, I started taking the rod and trying to drill the end of it. well the first couple attempts I wasn't drilling dead in the center. So I thought to myself, I am going to make a tool to help me get the center drilled perfect. After thinking for a few I came up with an idea which was I would use some plastic square rod and have it as a guide. So the line I am using for these injector line is .025" dia wire. and I started out by drilling with an .025" dia drill all the way thru a square stock of plastic. Then after that I took a .047" drill and drilled one side of the plastic so that you could stick the rod in on one side and then you could take your pin vise and drill from the other and start drilling the center of the rod. Here is what it looked like:

2v2uJysgAxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the rod sitting in one end of the tool and the pin vise in the guide hole:

2v2uJysWBxAhe9C.jpg

Here are the 8 rods that I made. If you notice I started out by cutting the rods and sanding the end flat. I then took a black sharpie and colored the end that way when i started drilling I could see if it was in the center easy. When they were done you can see the little black ring on the ends of the rod showing that I drill holes in them. Then I had to test fit my line with a fitting on it to see how it looked:

2v2uJysG6xAhe9C.jpg

Once I had the rods done I took them and test fitted them by sliding them into the manifold to see how they will look. They will get glued in when I have them exactly where I want them, I also left them long on purpose:

2v2uJysntxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here it is a kind of side view look to see how much will stick out from the side:

2v2uJysqYxAhe9C.jpg

Here I sat the blower on top to get a quick peek at how it would look:

2v2uJysF7xAhe9C.jpg

I had cut the rods down so I could set the manifold on the block and get an idea how it all looked together, here is the left side:

2v2uJysysxAhe9C.jpg

Now the Right Side:

2v2uJys5PxAhe9C.jpg

And a view from the front. The one thing I want to do is go back and take a look at a few pics because I am trying to determine if I should lower the height where the fittings are just by a tad. Let me know what you guys think. don't think I would need to lower it very much. My original placement was lower than you see here so I raised it up a smidge and now I tihnk I need to lower like .015" lol:

2v2uJysdRxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

I would go with the orange rtv for the manifold

I was thinking the exact same thing that the orange would look the best. I will pick some of that up today and go that route. Thanks for the advice, it confirmed my though.

Edited by Mooneyzs

chris, something to think about. the hard injector lines are 3/16" diameter tubing in 1:1. that would be about .012" in 1:16 scale.

here are some shots i took, of some injectors for you. perhaps they will help. i realize this particular motor has 2 injectors per cyl.. it is just to help visualize the size of the injector

003-4.jpg

injectors.jpg

also, the last injector on each bank you have at a different (steeper ) angle. that would be something new to me. i'm not saying it's wrong. i'm saying that's something i don't think i've ever seen. hope this is helpful.

Nice work Chris thanks for sharing that jig is a great idea. I will start using one.

Mike

You know it is funny that Chris showed us how to make that Jig, because in SAE this months issue has a Jig in how to center holes in rod as well! How they show it is using two different size tubes. One just a size larger to fit over the rod you are going to drill and one sized down to go inside the larger tube to use as your guide. This way you know it is not only centered but also the exact same angle. This is usually where I screw up and drill down at the wrong angle and come out the side even if I am centered. LOL

Phantom... Thanks man.

Richard... Thank you!

Joe... Thanks, it came in handy that is for sure.

Dave... Thank you for the info and for the pics as well. I wasn't exactly sure what size the injector lines typically were. Pictures really help alot because i wasn't able to find angles to show exactly how they were and had to make some assumptions. As far as those last injectors not being as steep when I was doing them I was thinking that I should probably make them the same angle but didn't because I couldn't tell very well. That means I will go back and redo those to be at the same angle as the rest. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Now with your up close shot of the fittings. Its making me wonder if I should approach these different now. I could get some hex rod and rig them up to be turned down on my dremel since I don't have my mini lathe yet which I really want one of these days. Again thank you for the info you have provided, it has been very helpful. Much appreciated bud.

Mike... Thank you, it does come in handy and I think maybe using a bigger stock for it would have been better.

Bart.... Thanks man, I totally forgot about that article using different size tubes as guides. I don't think these would of been standard size tubes. I think my little drill guide would of been a little better if it was a little bigger rod, but it did work and that is all I had on hand when i was doing them. I am totally with you as far as drilling down at the wrong angle and coming out of the sides. Can't tell you how many times I have done that before.... :lol:

awesome stuff Chris! gald to see you are takin the time to do that little extra stuff that so many of us just kinda say thats good enough, well worth the extra effort, just glad that none of you guys show your stuff in my area lol, I would have to give it up and just be a spectator!