Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Darryl... Thank you man!

Ira... Thank you!

Dave... Thanks bud, especially for all of the help you have provided. You are a major asset to this hobby.

Joe... thanks man.

Well I sat at the bench for a few tonight, not as much time as I would of liked but I did make a little progress. I ended up getting the rear end looking better and with just a little more sanding an a tad bit more bondo I think I can call it good to after that and should be ready for paint. But I have been debating if I want to glue the axle in the rear end before I do this and if I do I am going to end up drilling two holes in the rear end so that I can get some epoxy in then I would go and back fill with putty. It's an idea I got tonight so that the axle will stay in the correct place for the ride height since there is room for a little play between the axle and rear end. What do you guys think?? Would it be better to glue the axle in place or not?? anyway here are a couple of pics....

Here is the rear end after getting a quick coat of primer on it after doing a little clean up and filler pieces:

2v2uJyiP4xAhe9C.jpg

Left Side:

2v2uJyikmxAhe9C.jpg

Right Side:

2v2uJyiiTxAhe9C.jpg

I did a little more work to the calipers by getting the holes drilled for the line and fittings:

2v2uJyi4sxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave... Thanks bud....Now all the pressure is one me...lol ;)

Jim... Thank you my friend. Hey I haven't forgotten about those drawings for you. Gonna get on them soon for you.

Well Fellas I got a little bit of an update for you. Got some bench time in tonight working more on the rear end and finally got my T-fitting for the brake line scratch built and did a quick mock up of the rear end. I feel like I am making progress and that I could almost paint the rear end. Its a good feeling to feel this close with it. :lol: I just need to do do some final sanding and primer on it. Here are the pics....

Here is the starting point for my Brake line T-Fitting. I started with 1/32" Brass tubing soldering two pieces together:

2v2uJyiSixAhe9C.jpg

Once soldered I started to cut and sand to size:

2v2uJyiVDxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is after I was finished cutting and sanding, I placed it next to a penny so you can get the idea of the size of this thing :lol: . For some reason I think you guys are gonna go :blink: and then say I am nuts... :lol: :

2v2uJyih4xAhe9C.jpg

I had to mock the T-Fitting up with the fittings that go with it:

2v2uJyigSxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the rear end with the brake lines and fittings mocked up. Sorry for the poor brake line plumbing, I was wanting to do it quick but when I do the final one I will have it looking a lot better:

2v2uJyiWsxAhe9C.jpg

Up Close View:

2v2uJyiGPxAhe9C.jpg+

Feels good to have this under my belt now. back to the work bench I go... B)

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris,

I've been following this since I saw your original post...amazing build of one of my favorite cars of all time. Your "scale" pics (of the penny) made me roll my eyes...not saying i WOULDN'T or COULDN'T do it...but, holy smokes! that is Small!

Looking forward to seeing more on this, and hoping your summer will allow you a little bench time!

Joe

WOW, Truly amazing work, Chris. Oh well what else could I expect from you... Those fittings look GREAT. And thanks for the size comparison pictures. Those just make me realize, how small those parts really are.

Ya know there is some very talented builders on this forum but there are a few such as yourself that really build exceptional models. Makes me want to do better even though I know I will never acheive the results that some of you are capable of. Very enjoyable watching you experts work though a project.

Joe....Thanks for the Kind words man. I also appreciate that you have been following along since the beginning. I know its been a long journey so far and I am really close to starting to paint a few pieces. I think once I get over that hump and having some initial parts painted that things should start moving a little faster. At least that is my though :lol: . You are right the T-fitting I made was small but I did have a T-fitting I bought through Scale hardware which was a little bigger than I realized and wasn't going to work. So to make it look right had to go ahead and make it.

Niko... Thanks Bud.... after I was done with the fitting.... I was like holy smokes that is small :blink: LOL :lol: . It was worth the time to make since I looks close to the correct size.

Scott.... Thanks man.... at the time I started to do the fitting, I was thinking that I have to be nuts doing this :lol: . I think its little details like that which will send the build over the mark.

Dave....Thanks man.... You know doing parts that small makes me wish I was building an 1/8th scale like you. Things would be so much easier to make like that :lol: .

Dave (goatguy)... Thanks for the nice words... Feel free to save all of the pics I have posted for reference. I am happy if my pics helps just one person out. We all learn from one another here.

Tyrone.... Thanks buddy. I am wishing I had more updates but haven't been able to work on it for the past few nights. I will have more soon... Promise.

Ray.... Thank you so much for the kinds and saying I am an exceptional builder. There are so many more builders who I think are better than me and I can only hope to be as good as them one day. I will say this it has taken time and patience to lean the skills that I have. I didn't build like this over night thats for sure. over years of practice and trying new things is how I got to where I am today. And trust me when I say I am always learning every day.

Bill... You are right I would hate to lose it and have to make another one :lol:

Joe.... Thanks buddy...

Tyrone... Thanks man!! :D . I am sure I will take a few tries to get the brake lines bent exactly how I want them. Anyone wanna take a guess at how many times I will redo them?? :lol:

Mike.... Thanks buddy....I need to give you a buzz so we can catch up.

Sflam123... Thank you for the kind words

well guys I am sad to say that I haven't gotten any updates for you. I was hoping to possibly start painting some of the parts on the rear end as well as the rear end but I have one little detail on the rear end that i want to fix before I do paint it. I feel if I don't do it that I will regret it down the road. I am actually going to be filling in the mounting holes a little and shorten the mounting tab. This may not make sense of how I am describing it but when I put the rear end in the chassis for mock ups I can see a gap that has been bugging me and I want it to look right since I have gone as far as I have with this build so far. So bear with me and I will have some pics up soon with this fix to share with all of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim.... Hey Thank you Buddy!! I will be keeping an eye in the mail this week and let you know when they get here. Thank you!

Randy... Thanks man for the kind comments.

Alyn.... Thank you for your kind words as well. It means a lot.

Well Fellas.... sorry I haven't posted much lately. I have been doing a little work on parts mostly sanding, bondo, more sanding and a little primering. I was hoping to paint some parts today but it has been really humid here lately and I have been a little hesitant on actually spraying because of how the weather has been. But I wanted to show a pic of the parts that I have pretty much ready to paint. They will need to be wet sanded again and hopefully I won't have to spray any more primer on them. I am hoping to make more progress on this build over the weekend. If i am not able to paint I will find other things on this build to work on to get ready. I have a list a mile long it seams on what needs to get done on this build. Thank you all for following along and being patient while I am slowly getting there. Any way here is what I have to share.....

2v2uJyiNSxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs