Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hey Guys.... Thanks for all of the compliments. I am glad Alyn pointed that little detail out. I am much happier with it now. I am thinking of painting the end of the Simulated Hex nut black to see what it looks like but thinking I should place an order on some more of the threaded stud's and nuts.

Joe... The threaded stud (Rod) and Flange nut are on Scale Hardware's website under the Tuner Model Manuffactory. Its 0.7mm threaded hardware

http://www.scalehard...ardware-c-16_21

I am gonna go get a few more parts repainted and continue to work on this today. So stay tuned.... B)

Edited by Mooneyzs

You are quite the artist, Chris! I am amazed at the dedication you have put into this build and the details that you continue to draw out. As someone just getting back into building, your ideas have motivated me to no end. As much as I have enjoyed the new details, I have really enjoyed your posts SHOWING how you do your work. To me, seeing how others conceptualize and create new "technology" is every bit as valuable. Thanks for being an awesome teacher! I can't wait to see this build coming together!

Good to see you today Chris as well as your awesome build. Pictures are great but to actually see it with my own eyes and hold some of this in my own hands are completely different. Keep on building bro.

Amen, brother Brad! It is one incredible build.

Whoever first coined the phrase 'Build each part like it is a model itself' will be flabbergasted at the precision detail of Chris' build! It is truly awe-inspiring. And to hold it ...

B)

Joe (mysterj1) Thanks for the kind comments about this build. This build will be my most involved and detailed to date. thank you for following along and enjoying all of the pictures. Feel free to save them all if you want. It's why I post them to show How I am doing all of it. That's one thing I love about this hobby and this message board, being able to learn from others on how they do things. I have learned quite a lot since I started posting here. Its the best community and a bunch of talented builders. I never though of myself as a teacher. thank you again.

Brad and Danno.... as always guys it was a pleasure seeing both of you and chatting it up for a bit yesterday. I always enjoy bring my work to the swap meets so you can check it out. Next time I will have a lot more done that's for sure ;)

Mr. Sobak,

Coming in to this a little late....

First, your work is amazing. Your attention to detail is incredible and the results stunning.

Secondly, go with the nickel hardware. Mooneyz made the comment about the brass looking like zinc plated grade 8 bolts and he's correct. HOWEVER, zinc plating of grade 8 bolts is a relatively recent improvement and would not be period correct for a mid-70's Funny Car. I make this comment NOT to be critical but realizing that you have put significant time and effort in to this build to make it as accurate as possible.

Tyrone.... thanks buddy

sflam.... i apprieciate your comments and i have to agree with everyone that the nickel is what i am going with and you are right for the era of the car. yellow zinc is not correct. But I do have to mention that Prudhomme did rebuild and restore this car to what it is today and the recent pics is all I really have to go on for refaetence on this build.

Hans.... I havent forgotten aboit the pinion support. its on my list of to do's.

well everyone... i hate to say that i havent made any progress. I have been sick for the past week and i am finally feeling better. hope to.have some progress done on this in the next few days.

Hey Chris - I haven't checked in recently because of other things going on at home. You've gotten plenty of great feedback regarding your center section and totally agree that the studs/nickel plating is the way to go. I'll look forward to seeing more updates soon. I'm also glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Hey Scott.... Hope things are going ok at home. Thanks for your feedback too. I was working a little more on the seat belt drawings for you tonight. I apologize its taken so long. I was getting some dimensions on a few of the parts tonight. I still have 6 parts to dimension and one part to model. Will have something for you for sure next week.

Edited by Mooneyzs

if this helps or not i don't know but, the rear chris is using is not a ford 9". it does look like a semi decent replica of an early olds rear. i am not referring to chris's work when i say semi decent . i am referring to the model companies efforts. the pinion support is integral on an early olds rear rear not a bolt in pinion support like the ford 9".

Rom... thanks for checking in buddy. glad to see you back around here.

Dave... thanks buddy. I have no idea what rear end this is other than it was what was in the kit and I modified it a little bit. thank Revell for not making them more accurate lol.

I am still looking for pics of the drive line set ups in these early funny cars. Dave has me pointed in the right direction so far with looking at the mark williams website. I can't thank Dave enough for the many questions I have asked him and he was willing to take the time and answer each one for me. I know I benifit and learn so much from this hobby with guys like Dave.

while I am stuck at work I keep day dreaming what I want to be working on with this build and what I need to do next. I can't wait for some bench time.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Chris,

Everything is okay at home. I've had some honey-do type projects going on in recent weeks that have kept modeling, business progress, and even checking what's going on here pretty minimal. Thanks for your work on the belt harnesses. Here's hoping that I'll be able to open/read the files when you're done! I'm looking forward to more updates soon!

Hello Everyone.....

I apologize that I haven't gotten anymore work done on this After I said I was going to get the rear end assembled. I ended up getting sick and though i was better this weekend all to find out I have been sick this week too. I am finally starting to feel better and Hoping to finally get some bench time in this weekend. But I did receive some new parts in the mail today that I just have to show all of you. I had talked with Mark Johnson a while back if he had any valve covers like what was on this car and well he started a set a while back and recently finished them. I got my new valve covers and heads in the mail today and I can't tell you How awesome they turned out. If none of you have ever bought a 1/16th scale engine or parts from Mark, You need to. His craftsmanship and attention to detail is over the top. Hands down the best resin engine in the business. Anyway I can't thank him enough and I know I will be buying more of his engines in the future. Here is a picture of the valve covers on the army vega funny car along with the New valve covers from Mark. thanks for looking

2v2uJyD4kxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bill... thanks bud... I would love to be able to meet Mark in person. oh trust me this weekend is going to be all about this build. i am finally getting over my cold and in need of bench time. i can't wait to make more progress on it will finally get the rear end assembled and make progress on the chassis and the engine.

Well guys been tinkering on this for most of the day today and I can say I finally have something assembled on this project. I wrapped up the assembly of the rear end today. I am stoked to have it done. I just need to add one more little detail to it and call it good and then move onto the next part of this project. Anyway I will try to get some better pics tomorrow. Little tired and need to head to bed.

Here is the front view of the rear end completed:

2v2uJyDmixAhe9C.jpg

Here is the back view of the rear end:

2v2uJyDTDxAhe9C.jpg

Here is an up close view of the center section. I still need to add a bolt on the bracket I made as the brake line hold down tab:

2v2uJyDVYxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad.... Thanks Bud. You are right it feels great reaching this milestone. Well besides getting this rear end done. I re-sprayed the fuel tank and the fuel tank hold down strap. I will take some new pics that and some better ones of the rear end. Next up to bat is to finish reworking the master cylinder, which I am partly there. I have removed the dual piston to make it a single piston and I just need to glue the single piston piece in place. Then its ready for primer and paint. I have also stripped the paint on the headers because I was not happy with them so I will be re-shooting those too. I will also be working on the new valve covers today drilling the bolts out for the scale hardware ones as well as drilling out the holes for the spark plugs that will go into the build. I will also need to drill holes in the new heads for the bolts for the headers too. Then back onto the chassis details of sanding and making some of the joints better so I can get the chassis painted and working more on the engine.

Dave.... Thanks man. I think I stayed up too late last night and didn't get as much rest as I should of....lol