Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Ah Chris....Excellent stuff mate, that rear end looks so neat and well finished off....gonna be a shame to install it. :D ;)Top shelf as usual mate. (two thumbs up B) )

And looking at those parts from Mark, he sure does some extra special work too.....very nice indeed. B)

Chris,

Amazing work, I have to say when I look through the "master" works to get ideas (and motivation) I usually wind up looking at this thread. Looking forward to seeing the chassis w/ some color and this bad boy sitting on some rubber while the engine gets its due diligence.

Hey Greg... How's my Aussie Mate doing? thanks for the comments on this. I will tell you what, I will back Marks resin parts any day of the week. I have a few more engines of his that I want to get from him for two of my upcoming builds. Besides the 426 Hemi in this build from him I have a 392 Injected set up from him that will eventually go into a 1/16 FED build

Joe... Thank you for the Kind words. I don't know if I would call myself a master but I am striving to be able to build with the best on this board. Let me tell you there are many and I mean many talented builders here. It means a lot that you would want to use my work as motivation. Feel free to save any or all of the pics for reference. I will tell ya that I am hoping to have the chassis sanded back down and ready for another few coats of primer this weekend and then It will be ready for some paint. It's actually getting exciting thinking that I am so close for paint on the chassis. So stay tuned.

Ok Guys.... I know it has been long over due for an update on this project. The past few weeks has been hit or miss for me being able to get some bench time. I was out of town two weekends ago at the vegas drags then last weekend was out at the boat drags here for one day and got many great pictures. I took a lot and I mean alot...lol Anyway I have felt that I have had a little builders block the past few weeks. I have got the new heads and valve covers all finished with the prepping of drilling holes for the valve cover bolts, got the holes in the heads to mount to the block as well as getting the header bolt holes drilled to hold the headers on. I need to scuff the heads up and will be ready for primer tomorrow. I have a couple small things to do to the valve covers before primer goes on them but in the mean time i have had a really big hurdle with the seat.

when I fabbed the seat a while back I was pretty happy with it but I had one area of it I wasn't completely happy with. The seat fit pretty good in the chassis but in the corners of the hoop on the driver area I had a few gaps and was trying to figure out the best way to fix it. The thought ran thru my head to make a completely new one but didn't want to and after a few ideas I came up with this one yesterday. I started on it yesterday and think I am happy with it. It will also be seeing its first coat of primer on it then I will finish a little bondo work and then it will be ready for paint.

Ok guys so apparently photobucket decided to do some site maintenance right now. I loaded the pics and now I can't get to them to post them. Stay tuned and I will post them in the morning. I need to get to bed since I am tired. talk to you guys tomorrow.

Happy Friday Fellas!!... Ok so Photobucket is working this morning and here are the pics I promised last night....

Here is the gap I was not happy with on the seat around the Hoop of the chassis:

2v2uJyDzmxAhe9C.jpg

and the other side:

2v2uJy4o7xAhe9C.jpg

Here is the updated Seat with the pieces that I made to fill in those spots. As well as notching the seat for the 5th point harness to mount tot he chassis:

2v2uJy4cTxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the plastic pieces I glued and shaped to fill the gap in. I also opened up the hole for the shoulder belts as well:

2v2uJy4pmxAhe9C.jpg

Here is is installed into the chassis to check the gap:

2v2uJy4fsxAhe9C.jpg

the other side:

2v2uJy4APxAhe9C.jpg

I will be spraying some primer on the seat as well as a few other parts when I get home. Then I will jump back to doing some work on the Chassis and Engine.

Edited by Mooneyzs

I like your fix for the seat corners. Came out great and I too am looking forward to the chassis being in paint. Are you still planning on having this complete by Desert Scale Classic this year? I would like to know so I can make other plans for different categories. :-)

Charlie... thanks bud i sure cant wait to get some of your fine products on this build. i am getting closer with being able to start puting.more of thr engine together.

Charlie... thank you for the kind comments. man I wish I could be at Pomona this weekend. going to be some great racing as well as I belive they are supposed to have a bunch of the cackle cars out there. I would really love to see all of those in person. I am hoping to have some great progress over the weekend.

Danno... Thanks buddy. I am gonna try an get out to Goodguys on Saturday if possible. Not sure if I will bring any models since I have nothing new done plus I won't be able to make it back on Sunday. But will swing by and say Hi for sure.

Art.... Thanks buddy. feels great to be back on making progress.

Well I have have been tinkering a little bit more today so far and not done but wanted to show a little bit of progress that I have made. I have been working on the seat and valve covers. Added some bondo to the seat and needing go mix some more up and lay more down. Then the valve covers I have made some slight modifications to them so they would look more like whats on the real car. I still have some minor pin holes to fix so these pics are just ruff stuff and still working away on them. Here's a few pics to share....

Here is the start after adding some bondo and doing some minor modifications:

2v2uJy4BkxAhe9C.jpg

Added another coat of primer to see where I was with things:

2v2uJy4tDxAhe9C.jpg

Test fitting the spark plugs and spark plug boots from RB Motion:

2v2uJy47mxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hello Everyone!! Sorry I haven't had much done on this lately. Life has been a little busy lately and I am going to be starting a new job soon, going to be a good career move for me. I have been slowing getting minor work done but not enough to show some pics. I have done a little more work to the valve covers getting them cleaned up so they will be perfect for the Alclad as well as been getting some more mud on the seat to get it all smooth and ready for paint. I am hoping to possibly get a little bench time this weekend. so stay tuned and I will have more progress soon.

Bill... Thanks buddy, I will make sure and get the gaps set correct ;)

Danno... that was a good one, he sure got me :lol:

Joe... thanks buddy. I have to keep pace with the rest of you around here ;)

Scott... Thanks Brother.... You know I haven't a clue but you are probably right. I have been trying to find some time to get that drawing done for you. I apologize. Will try and finish it this weekend.

Bart.... Thank bud.... You know I was thinking how i was going to do that boot for quite a while now. I really want to be able to make that boot look like it with the washer and trying to figure out the best way to do so. The Plugs and Boots are from RB motion and figured I would run with them but my mind is set on making the boots correct.

Jim... thanks buddy. They are such a small aspect of the engine but I couldn't agree more that they add so much to them. I have started to redo those pulley models and I need to update the drawing. Please forgive me its taken me forever to get them done.

Dave.... I won't lie... I have been thinking about that for a while of scratch building a starter that I could place on and off the engine. I really would love to and think it would be cool. I just need to find some reference pics of the styles from back then.

So guys I have been thinking for the past few days and with a little help from Dave (Comp1839). I know that I don't have the spark plugs set to the correct depth because I was was trying to get the boot at the right height due to the size of them and the fact they aren't made for this specific application. So my thought now is to save the spark plugs and use them on an engine where they will actually be seen. As well as I mentioned that I want to try and make the boots with the washer to make them look like whats on the car. I think that will look much better. Do you guys have any ideas what to use for materials. My fist thought is to take some photo etch washers or some very small brass washers and use some small brass tubing to create the boots but then maybe it will be easier with plastic. but then I am wondering maybe at a craft store if there is some sort of rubberized paint or something that would be able to pass as the rubber material for the boot. I am just not sure that paint would make it look right. Any Ideas or suggestions would be great. Alright guys I will stop being a wind bag at the moment :lol: :lol: . Hope to have some updates soon for you guys.