Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris, while not exactly what you're looking for, maybe an alteration to this may work for you..? ^_^

For one of my Datsuns, I needed plug boots with a flat lead outlet. Or relatively flat anyways...

First, I punched out 6 discs from thin sheet (.5mm?) which yielded a dome shaped cap. I then glued some short lengths of tube, corresponding to the hole size of the plugs.

OSGikenfeb072010003-vi.jpg

Then, with each plug lead I made 90deg boots. These were then glued (very tight anyway..) into each plug cap.

240ZGjune272010004-vi.jpg

Maybe, by keeping the short part of the plug boot very short (recess it all the way into the cap) you could then glue (epoxy?) and blend the cap/boot??

Then touch it up with some semi-gloss black paint..

I know you won't let this get the better of you, and I look forward to seeing more of this inspirational build mate. B) Keep at it. ;)

Dave....thank you for the great Idea. I may have to tinker with something like to see how I can get it to turn out.

Ray.... Thank you

Greg.... My Aussie Mate? How you doing? Hey man thanks for the pics and the idea for the plugs I really like it. I was also thinking that I would have to do something in blending the cap/boot.

You guys have my mind going with those ideas.

Well Fellas.... I know its been a long while since I have had an update on this build. I have been out of town since Thanksgiving and just got home yesterday visiting family. I did take this build back home to try and tinker on it a little here and there and well I didn't get any progress done. I ended up having to have a medical procedure (some surgery I guess you can say) and it had me laid up for a few days. but Now that I am back home, I will be jumping back on this build today and hoping to have progress pics later today to share. I sure have missed working on this build. Stay tuned B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave... been doing much better.

well guys i know I haven't delivered updates as I have promised. I have been struggling with getting motivated to build lately it seems. have had a few other things going on. I have really missed working on this build. I finally sat at my bench last night for a few working more on my seat and practicallybhave it done now. i need to sand a little more of the bondo tonight and squirt some primer and then she should be ready for paint. fingers crossed. i think i will feel.much better once i get over the hump with this seat lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

I'm glad to hear your doing better Chris. We all go through those troughs in motivation where it just takes some time, a change in focus for awhile, or who knows what else, before we can get back in the saddle... Here's hoping that finishing up your seat will give you a jump start! I'll look forward to an update soon.

Hey Scott & Mike... thanks for your guy's support. It means a lot. God is good.

So I did work more on my seat last night and it is pretty much all finished and ready for paint. I just need to sand down with some 400 or 600 grit paper and shoot another coat of primer on it. I will have to wait and post pics of it when I get home since I need to head out the door for work right now. So stay tuned. Feels great to basically have this done. Now tonight I can move onto another part of this build.

Thanks Brad!! you are right that we all hit that wall at times. I have an april dead line so hopefully it will be full steam ahead now. I am looking forward to getting home tonight and sitting at the workbench putting some time in on this build. I see a late night ahead of me ;)

Ok guys... as promised here are a few pics of what I have been doing lately with the seat. I have been adding bondo and sanding adding some more. Then broke one of the joints that I had to re-glue and redo some more of the bondo work...lol. Since it seems to be raining here tonight, I won't be able to spray my last coat of primer on the seat but i will get it sanded and ready to hopefully spray tomorrow. But that means tonight I can move onto something else on this build which will be a nice change because I am sorta tired of seeing this seat at the moment :lol:

Here is the seat. I had to add some bondo on the inside since I noticed a few flaws in it:

2v2uJy4sSxAhe9C.jpg

Here is some more shots of bondo that needed to be added since I made a piece to bridge the gap between the seat and chassis. I then needed to add bondo and feather it in so it was uniform:

2v2uJy4DixAhe9C.jpg

Here is the other side. which the same process was done:

2v2uJy4kPxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the current condition with the seat after shooting another coat of primer on it:

2v2uJy4STxAhe9C.jpg

Right Side:

2v2uJy4gixAhe9C.jpg

Left side:

2v2uJy4G4xAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks guys..... Brad, I have been working on the bottom tin work for the driver area. I realized that after I redid the side tins that I never did the lower piece. So I have been making a template out of 3X5 card and I just cut it out from the Printing Plate you gave me. And now I am getting it all lined up to drill the mounting holes. I will post some pics when I am done with it tonight. So far it has been going good with making this piece. Back to trucking on this part.

Looks excellent! I'm so glad to see you back on the bench with this one, it will turn out fantastic. The seat looks very smooth to me, this is absolutely like "Building Every Part Like It Would Be A Model Itself". And that's great way, I should try it some point too, but meanwhile I keep drooling this one.

Niko... Thanks so much bud! It feels great to be back at the bench again. I sure have missed it. I am trying to do each part the best I can.

Ok guys so I got a little more accomplished tonight. Did some more Tin work for the driver floor pan. I started with making a template from a 3X5 card and then transfered the template to aluminum printing plate. I still have a minor work to finish it but it is about ready for primer soon.

Here is the template:

2v2uJy4rDxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the floor pan made from aluminum printing plate:

2v2uJy48mxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the template and the part made up:

2v2uJy4zSxAhe9C.jpg

Then of course I had to mock it up to test fit everything. in these pics I just have some temp bolts holding the tins in place. I will actually be using a different style bolt for the DZUS fastener:

2v2uJy4FSxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJy4yhxAhe9C.jpg

The inside:

2v2uJy4qTxAhe9C.jpg

View from the bottom:

2v2uJy45CxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs