Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

ok Fellas... got more work done on the new and improved gas pedals. I decided to make them out of brass this time. I ended up using 1/32 brass rod and then the mount was 1/32 brass tube. I made 2 different styles and not sure which one to go with. Let me know which you think looks better and what you'd go with. I saw both of these style when I looked up some pics on Google and figured it wouldn't be that hard to just do both and then decide which to use...lol Thanks in advance. Ok lets get to the pics....

Here is all of the pieces..... the original kit pedal, the last pedal I scratch build and pieces for the new pedals out of brass:

DP-Army-Vega2539-1.jpg

Here are the new fabricated brass parts before soldering:

DP-Army-Vega2540-1.jpg

Here they are after they have been soldered:

DP-Army-Vega2543-1.jpg

Here is the backside so you can see the mounts:

DP-Army-Vega2545-1.jpg

Bill... Thanks for the props on all of us guys scratch building. I do have to say that it can be fun but at times it's challenging too

Steve... Thanks for taking the time to go thru all of the pages. I know there was a lot to go thru to see it all. Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to see it done myself. I am actually going to be excited when I get the chassis painted and have a rolling chassis done...lol

Ok Fellas.... I sat down and did a little work tonight on this and I have completed the gas pedal. all that is left is a little more primer and sanding for it to be ready for final paint. I had to go and redo the mounting base for this. I had also added a small detail to the pedal as well. I felt it was lacking a little something when I posted the last pics. thanks for looking....

Here is the new completed pedal mounted to the mounting base which was redone. I had used the previous base other than adding new pieces for the bolts to go thru and hold the pedal:

DP-Army-Vega2546-1.jpg

Another view of the mounting base:

DP-Army-Vega2547-1.jpg

Here I stood the pedal up to show the state it will be in:

DP-Army-Vega2550-1.jpg

As usual I had to mock it up and put it in with the bolts to see how it was going to look:

DP-Army-Vega2551-1.jpg

Now I am feeling I am much closer to where I can just about prep the chassis for paint. I still need to figure out and drill a hole to mount the fuel shut off lever as well as fabricate plates that go under the seat and then I can't think of anything else at the moment other than I need to sand the chassis down and shoot a final primer coat to make sure I am happy with everything. Then it will be time to put paint on the chassis. That will be another big step in this build. So Stay tuned. I will be working on this a lot more this week. I have had family in town and haven't spent much time on this build with them here.

Joe...thanks bro. i want to hurry up and get this chassis prepped for paint. i cant wait to see black on it lol

Brad...thankd buddy. hey do you know when tbe next model swap meet is at the postal hall?

Mike...thank you!

Scott...thanks man. the new pedal makes that one I did out of styrene look sad lol. I can't tell you how much happier I am with this new one.

Steve...I will be using a small cable for the throttle linkage that i have from Machined Aluminum Specialties but was tring to source the cable in a different color and i was planning on using RB Motion hardware for the cable ends I still need to add a mounting tab for the linkag.

Chris ~ I don't know when the next one is. I'll let you know once I find out.

March 23.

Here's how 2013 is shaping up for Arizona:

January 20, Sunday: Tucson IPMS Swap Meet & Contest

March 3, Sunday: Tucson TMAC Toy Show & Swap Meet

March 8, Friday: GoodGuys 4th Spring Nationals Contest

March 9, Saturday: GoodGuys 4th Spring Nationals Contest

March 10, Sunday: GoodGuys 4th Spring Nationals Contest

March 23, Saturday: Cholewa's Swap Meet

April 20, Saturday: Desert Scale Classic 9 Swap Meet & Contest

July -- TBA -- Cholewa's Swap Meet

October or November -- TBA -- Cholewa's Swap Meet

November 2, Saturday: IPMS Modelzona

November 15, Friday: GoodGuys 16th SW Nationals Contest

November 16, Saturday: GoodGuys 16th SW Nationals Contest

November 17, Sunday: GoodGuys 16th SW Nationals Contest

Club Meeting 2013 Calendar:

http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1756

Bill.... thank you man. You set the bar high with your FED. I just wish i had my own lathe and mill lol ;) ... one day haha

Dave... Thanks buddy!!

Steve... You are welcome. I will have to get a pic of the cable for you just to show what my initial thought was but still trying to figure out what I really want to do for it.