Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Looks great Chris. Love the progress. Please put a coin or something for size reference in a pic for me. I'd like to see the size of the cable and frame.

Not sure, but it looks like Chris photo'd the cable on a cutting mat with 1" square grid. If so, that will give you the "scale" you want to interpret the dimensions.

B)

Brad... Thanks Bud. The black pieces are different size distributor boots from RB Motion. I will show you.

Tom... thanks man, I am trying to make this look as real as I can.

Dave... Thanks Bud! I have a few shots to show with it next to a coin for you.

Danno... you are right man.

Mike.... Thanks bud. it means a lot making you guys proud. You are right it has been much slower than I have wanted but I have been so picky with myself on some stuff that I have reworked things more than once to make it look right for me.

Joe... Thanks. I took a shot of the parts to show all what was done. Let me know and I could piece together the components on how I built it up.

Steve... Thanks man.. the Gas pedal I used 1/32" Brass Rod and 1/32" Brass tube. I will let you know the size of the rods and tube I used for the morse cable in the pic I will show.

Well Fellas.... I apologize that I didn't get any other pics up yesterday. Early in the afternoon I wasn't feeling so hot and was feeling I was trying to come down with a cold so I had laid down and was on the couch the rest of the day. Anyway today I am planning on sitting at the bench for as long as I can manage and get some more work done on this project today.

Here is all of the parts that I pretty much started with other than the piece of styrene rod that I am using as my hold down that ties the cable to the chassis. The Red tubing which is the main portion for the cable is teflon tubing that is basically 1/32" OD That I got from one of the guys at a local swap meet. The Items that I am using for the rubber dust boots are 1/24th and 1/16th Distributor cap boots from RB motion. I was digging thru all of my aftermarket items and was thinking how I was going to make those boots. when I ran across these distributor cap boots I decided to see if they would work for what I was doing and they were a perfect fit. And then the rest of the cable is made up of different size Nickel Silver tube (0.7 mm OD X 0.5 ID), Nickel siver rod (0.45 mm OD) and aluminum tube (1.0 mm OD x 0.25 mm ID) from a company called Precision metals that I picked up from my local hobby store (The Hobby Depot in Tempe Arizona). this tubing is not the cheapest but then again K&S doesn't make sizes this small.

DP-Army-Vega2637-1.jpg

Here is all of the components that make up just one end of the cable assembly. Note that I have two different cable end quick disconnects. If you guys want I could give you the dimensions of all of the pieces to the lengths that they were cut. just let me know and I will measure them for you.

DP-Army-Vega2634-1.jpg

Here is the cable assembled next to a dime so you can get the idea at how small this is:

DP-Army-Vega2619-1.jpg

Here is a mock-up of it in the chassis. I also had to create a mounting location for it. I had used 1/32" brass rod that I bent to a U-shape and then I used a photo-etch bracket that I glued on that the cable support would mount to. I still have to trim the U-Shape rod down and glue into place:

DP-Army-Vega2610-1.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Brad... I will be more than happy to give all the dimensions to the parts if anyone wants them. I still need to duplicate this for the end that will mount to the Injector Hat. but this will be simple now that I have it all worked out...lol As far as the holes in the frame... that was a little trickier and I basically used my pin vise drilling as close to center that I could in the rod with keeping the pin vise as flat to the chassis that I could I also over sized the hole just a tad so that when I glue the brass rod in I can make straight. Once I trim the U-shape piece I will fill the holes on the top side with bondo and you will never know it was there. So some of my progress has been slow but there are times I sit there and think how I can do this and you rack your brain trying to figure it out for hours..... then i walk away for a bit and it just hits me when I get back...lol

THAT is just spectacular!!!!!

I hate to be pushy but how bout the body and tins???

I'm sure I speak for myself when I say I'm anxious to see that part of the build also.

Anyone wish to take side bets what the page count will be the day he posts "Under Glass?" LOL

Great stuff dude.

Excelsior!

Bob

Joe... Thanks bud. I hope you can find it. if not let me know and I can check my local hobby shop for ya. I know they get the stuff from over seas ( Ibelieve from england, but can't remember) and not sure how often they get it or how long it takes them.

Steve...Thanks for the kind comments.... Yes you could use these for the fuel shut off lever and fuel pump. I was planning on doing it the same or real similar for those myself.

Danno... Just wait til you get to see it in person again B)B)

Dave... What can i say but a Thank you to you. You have helped me out in so many ways that not many people know here on this build. You have always taken the time to respond when I have questions and show me the parts. And for that I am greatful and thankful to you. I am having to be creative in order to make these parts look as real as I can and I am pleased with the outcome so far. Thanks again Bud!

Hey Bob... I apologize that I didn't respond to your post earlier. I must not of seen it or I had started my reply before you posted yours. Thank you for the kind comments. I do have the chassis tins done but haven't started on the body tins yet. I have done very little to the body but Real soon I will be starting on the body. I am actually anxious to get the body and inner structure done. I have been trying so hard to get the rolling chassis done before I start on the body. I only have a few what I call major things left before I call it good with the chassis. Getting the gas pedal moved as well as the mounting location for the Throttle (Morse) cable and then getting my steering gear box mounted and re doing the steering shaft. Then its the rest of the build is the engine and the body. You made me crack up with page count when it goes to under glass.... :lol: I am shooting for sooner than later because I want to finish this one really bad so I can start others in mind.

Dave... you are welcome for it next to a coin. I should of thought of that the first time around.

Mike... thanks bud I am really happy with the way it has turned out so far.

So I have been messing around most of the after noon with this build. I finished making the other end of the morse cable. Then started back on the steering gear box which I drilled out and stuck in aluminum sleeves which will hold the steering shafts in and got a quick coat of primer but I need to put some bond and sand down so Its still in a rough shape. Then I started messing around with how I was going to do the spark plug boots for the valve covers and got 1 proto type done. Here are a few pics:

Here is the Morse (throttle) cable as to what I am calling done for now until The engine goes in and I start installing it because I know I will have to cut the length down just a tad, sorry for the pic not being completely in focus I was having a tough time with my camera focusing in on it:

DP-Army-Vega2645-1.jpg

Here is the steering gearbox sanded down with the aluminum tube added for the steering tubes:

DP-Army-Vega2642-1.jpg

Here is the steering gearbox after a couple coats of primer, I need to add bondo to finish it:

DP-Army-Vega2652-1.jpg

the Back side:

DP-Army-Vega2650-1.jpg

Here is my first prototype of the spark plug boots on the valve covers, I think I found what will work :D :

DP-Army-Vega2646-1.jpg

Another View:

DP-Army-Vega2648-1.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Danno... thanks buddy. Now i need to make 7 or 8 more just like it lol

Mike... thanks bud.

John... thanks for the encouraging words. I really wanted to make it this year but not sure if I can. I would of loved to of has this finished by then but dont think it will be at the rate I sam going. Lol

Bill... thanks... you made me laugh lol