Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Wow, Chris!! Awesome build going ... don't know how I missed it before, but glad I found it. :o

You just have to keep it going, man. You've got it all dialled in so far.

I'm already anxious to see this one finished up.

:lol:

Richard, any time you can get a line on coming up ... we'd love to see you at one of the clubs. Check out Moonlightmodelers.com and stay in touch!!

B)

Great job so far...all is looking awesome. Out of curiosity, what CAD are you using? BTW, nice concept with the printout/overlay. Keep it going man!!

Jeff... I was trying figure a way that would be easiest to duplicate parts like that and for some reason it didn't click with me when I was making the tabs for the radius rods on the chassis when I did those. I use SolidWorks and AutoCAD but mostly SolidWorks since I draw it up as a 3D model. I have had a few ideas on drawing some stuff up. I am going to do that for my rear hubs for the wheels and have them machined out of aluminum. I was able to find some photo-etched disk brakes in 1/16th scale so I am pretty stoked but gotta scratch build some brake calipers now.

Wow, Chris!! Awesome build going ... don't know how I missed it before, but glad I found it. :o

You just have to keep it going, man. You've got it all dialled in so far.

I'm already anxious to see this one finished up.

Thanks Dan, I am excited about getting more progress done on this one. I am still wanting to finish that 1/16 FED I have going as well so I will probably bounce back and forth on these two builds... :lol: I am planning on doing alot of building this weekend ;)

I think the way you did that was a great idea...way to go. I think I may try that for some sheet parts. I use SolidWorks and Alibre (very similar to SW). I'm working on some front rims in Alibre. Good luck with your build; more important, have fun as I'm sure you are!

Thanks Jeff, I am really happy that I decided to try it this way and it worked great. I will have some pics up shortly of the front end after getting those parts finished tonight. Thats awesome that you use SolidWorks as well. I have never heard of Alibre before. You hit the nail on the head about the most important thing of building models is having fun. I have to say I have been having a blast with my builds lately and look forward to getting more done and out there.

Hello... I made a little more progress this evening with the front end. I am happy with how things turned out. still have a little sanding to do it. Here are the pics, Thanks for looking.

Here is the axle bracket pieces after they had been sanded down, along with cutting the kit pieces off:

DPArmyVega0921-vi.jpg

After gluing the brackets into place with Weld-On #3:

DPArmyVega1011-vi.jpg

Another angle:

DPArmyVega1101-vi.jpg

Front View:

DPArmyVega1051-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Derrick....Thanks Bud, appreciate the kind words. I didn't know about the washable glue sticks. I will have to try that next time. where did you get yours at?? I will have to post some images of the disk brake and hubs I am going to draw up and show the model images. this is going to be a good weekend for building here. gonna work mostly on this build but may try and get the decals done on the 1/16 FED :D

Derrick....Thanks Bud, appreciate the kind words. I didn't know about the washable glue sticks. I will have to try that next time. where did you get yours at?? I will have to post some images of the disk brake and hubs I am going to draw up and show the model images. this is going to be a good weekend for building here. gonna work mostly on this build but may try and get the decals done on the 1/16 FED :D

OK Chris, so it's been maybe 10 to 15 min since your post above, where's those model images at?!?.....We're waiting, LOL.

Seriously, I'm digging this build. Can't wait to see those images and the items they will turn into. This is very cool stuff!!

OK Chris, so it's been maybe 10 to 15 min since your post above, where's those model images at?!?.....We're waiting, LOL.

Seriously, I'm digging this build. Can't wait to see those images and the items they will turn into. This is very cool stuff!!

LOL Jeff.... I will try and draw something up tomorrow so I can show you. Since I have those photo etch disks I need to make a center section to get the disk to be the correct scale width of the disk. Made it tonight but realized I made the OD of it a tad to short, so its back to the drawing board to start all over again.... B)

some outstanding work you got going on here Chris, keep it up man,I'm learning heaps here.

Brett Thanks bud, I am glad that you guys appreciate the pics and posts. I know I tend to learn alot here on the forum by seeing others posting pics of their builds. I will definitely continue to post pics as I make progress.

Hey Chis this is turning out incredible. I am also jealous, you have solidworks, I always wanted it but never had the bucks for it. I had Autocad but the one I had got so outdated I quit using it. If you draw up some blower pulleys I will make a set at N/C.

Hey Chis this is turning out incredible. I am also jealous, you have solidworks, I always wanted it but never had the bucks for it. I had Autocad but the one I had got so outdated I quit using it. If you draw up some blower pulleys I will make a set at N/C.

Thanks Jim for the comments. I have been fortunate enough to learn SolidWorks back when I was aerospace company I worked for, Been thru quite a bit of training for it too. We had Pro-E there and switched to SolidWorks due to seat cost. But yeah Seat Costs are quite a bit. I also use AutoCAD as well. I will definitely draw up a set of blower pulleys. I will shoot you a message on here to find out some details. Thanks I appreciate it.

Forgot to say that the wheels I got from you a while back will be going on this build B) . Hey is it possible to ask what the bolt pattern you used for the stud holes on the rim? I am going to be drawing up some hubs for the photo etch rear disk breaks I have and I wanted to put some threaded studs in there so I can take the rear wheels off but had no idea what diameter of the circle the bolt holes were on. thanks

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ahh !! Some real nice mods going on in here Chris. ;)

The new front end components look excellent, and add that bit of extra realism. Very neat work mate. :lol:

(............looking for thumbs up smilie, you get two from me. :lol: )

Great Thanks bud, I had to change the front end up a little from the reference pics that I have of the car and wanted to make it more realistic. The process seems like I am not getting anywhere fast but with the detail I want for this kit I am definitely taking my time.

Worked on the rear disk brakes tonight put about 4 to 4.5 hours in on these guys tonight so far and not finished with them yet. I was able to find some photoetched disk brakes but I ended up adding plastic to them to give a little bit of thickness to the brakes. I ended up using .040" thick Evergreen Styrene and found a little handy compass cuting tool at Michaels. Its made of plastic and did the job but thinking I am going take a look at Micro Marks and see if they have a metal one. I messed up the diameter on the styrene a few times as you will see to get the correct diameter of the photo-etched disk. After cutting the diameter I ended up cutting the center hole out and then proceeded to lay the photo-etch disk over the part I made and used the holes as a guide. There were 75 holes per disk that I had the joy of drilling out with a pin vise B) not only did I do it once but I went back and opened them up a couple drill sizes. I still have the 2nd one to do then I will paint the center and get them glued together. Hope you enjoy the few pics and thanks for looking

Cutting the round disks out of the Styrene and marking center section that needed to be cut out:

DPArmyVega1141-vi.jpg

This is after I had laid the photo-etched disk over the cut center section. I drilled one hole on one side ran 30ga wire thru twisted and then drilled another hole on opposed side and ran more wire and twisted to keep the disk from not moving on me while I drilled the rest out. Still have the 2nd one to do

DPArmyVega1201-vi.jpg

Some what of an up close shot after drilling all the holes:

DPArmyVega1191-vi.jpg

I then put the three pieces together and tied with wire so I could double check the holes and that everything looked ok:

DPArmyVega1321-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Rodger, thanks man.....

I was able to finish up all of the drilling on the disk brakes. The only thing I have left on them is to paint the center sections and then glue the photo-etch pieces on. any way here are a couple of pics....

DPArmyVega1561-vi.jpg

DPArmyVega1421-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

As alway great work Chris. I can use a blower pulleys too. :) The brakes look outstanding, what glue are you useing to put the brakes pieces together?

And the glue stick you can get at the dollar store.

001-23.jpg

As alway great work Chris. I can use a blower pulleys too. :D The brakes look outstanding, what glue are you useing to put the brakes pieces together?

And the glue stick you can get at the dollar store.

001-23.jpg

Thanks Derrick, once I get the blower pulleys drawn up I will post some 3D images of the pulleys for sure. You know I wasn't totally sure what type of glue I was going to use on the brakes. I was going to paint the center section which was scratch built with a dark model master metalizer I think. I was thinking of maybe trying future floor wax. Charlie from Pro tech was telling me how he uses future to attach photo etch pieces. in the past I have used 5 mins epoxy, model master brushable clear and micro scale krystal klear, and CA glue (but CA has a tendancy of fogging the parts, so probably won't use that). Thanks for the pic of the glue, now I know what to look for and looks like I will be making a trip to the dollar store soon.... :lol:

So I didn't get any building done on this project tonight but I did tinker around on my CAD software trying to figure out a design for the rear hubs that I should go with. Here are a few Ideas. Let me know what you think. I am also thinking of tapering the hub as an idea. Here you go.....

assem33-vi.jpg

assem32-vi.jpg

assem31-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 4 weeks later...

Well I was finally able to get a little time to start working on this build again. Been doing some minor things Like Gluing the engine block together cutting off bolt heads and drilling holes for the Scale Hardware bolts. I am still in the process with trying to acquire a Competition Resins 417 Donovan engine for the build. Slixx Decals seems to be out and when I had ordered it a few weeks back they mentioned that Competition Resins should be making more but also saw that Competition Resins doesn't have it listed on their site anymore :lol: well I am hoping that it was just taken off until he gets more produced. So I figured I will start to build this engine up a bit just incase I can't get the 417 Donovan. Hopefully I will be able to and I will use this engine in another 1/16th scale build.

I also go a start on the fuel tank. Glued it together and added a little extra detail to it. I still need to fill in the spots where the kit wanted you to put the plastic tubing which came with the kit. I also need to add some bondo to fill in on some areas. I will be using RB Motion A/N Fittings and drilling holes for the locations of them. Also been working on the Blower, cutting more bolt heads off and drilling more holes for Scale hardware Bolts. Thanks for looking....

Engine Block with Scale Hardware bolts in the Timing plate, still need to drill a few more holes in it:

DPArmyVega1691-vi.jpg

Fuel Tank with little extra detail added to the tank from pictures I could find:

DPArmyVega1711-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, just sayin', I have a Competition Resins Donovan thats just sitting in it's bag.

Hmmm... I was planning on contacting Competition Resins this week as well as Slixx. I will see what the out come is from talking with them and let you know. I would say I would take it off your hands but wouldn't want to if you had plans on using it on a build in the future.

Finished Drilling holes in in the Timing Plate and the Blower, Just got to drill holes the hold the blower down to the manifold. here are a couple more pics.....all of the bolts are just placed in the holes for the pic. I plan on leaving the bolts the brass color representing Grade 8 Bolts...

DPArmyVega1731-vi.jpg

DPArmyVega1771-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs