Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Dave... You are so right about rushing things. I am just trying to get a lot of build time in lately. Thanks for the kind comments.

Ray... Thank you for the kind words... Would you guys still want to see it there if it's not done?? ;):P.... I will be there and no clue in what shape at the moment...lol

Well Fellas...As Promissed... Its time for another update. I have been getting some bench time in lately. I did some additional body work to the quarter panel rear rockers to try to make it look a little more like the real car last week and then this past week I decided to tackle making the Grips for the Butterfly steering wheel out of wood and what a pain in the Butt it ended up being. What I thought wouldn't take me much time at all ended up taking me way way longer than I expected. I will show a few pics and hoping to get in some good bench time this weekend on this.

So Here the addition to the rear Quater panel rockers I added. I started by laying some .010" thick styrene out on the rocker panel and glueing it to the body. Then you will notice my red mark on the quarter panel and I added another layer from that mark to the rear of the car so that it blends into the rear:

I did the same thing to the other side of the car and well you see that I glued a piece of plastic to the quarter panel and it was because some how I had cracked the body from holding it and sanding it from all of the work I was doing to it. So had to fix it...lol:

Then it was time to mix up some Evercoat Part #400 and lay some Body Filler down to both sides:

Now comes my last week of work that I thought I would never get it done... LOL

So here is the start of making the Butterfly Steering Wheel Grips out of wood. I started with Flat toothpicks, and well after multiple failed attempts of making these grips I had decided to try some craft stick or Popsicle sticks and was finally able to make successful pieces. Although I did have to make a few of them as well.. lol:.

Here are the pieces once I was successful and happy with the grips. Sorry for the crappy pic but was having trouble getting the camera to focus on the right spot:

Here I was test fitting the Grips onto Future Attractions Photo-Etch Butterfly Steering Wheel:

Side View:

Up next was to paint and stain the wood to try and make it look like steering wheel on the real Army Vega Funny Car. I used some Mig and Vallejo acrylic paints as well as a couple Tamiya paints. This is another pic that turned out horrible cause I couldn't get it to focus. I think I need a Tripod...haha:

Danno.... Thank you very much.

Bob.... Thanks.... You are right that the little things can drive us crazy... lol

Brad... Thank you my friend. If I look at my time log I started them on Monday the 18th of this week and I worked on them for 17 hours... LMAO I must be nuts or crazy... haha :lol: and can you believe I am considering sanding the paint down and redoing it a little to get a little more lighter color in on it to try to match the actual cars grips...

Clint.... Thank you Very Much...

Mike... Thanks Dad.... :lol:. Finally got over this little hump. Now I can finish up a couple of designs on a two more parts then I can get things sent out to print and move onto some other items for this build.

Clayton.... Thank you very much. Funny thing was I bought these craft sticks at Hobby Lobby to use as paint holding sticks to tape parts to them while I paint parts or to use as stirring sticks to mix paint... Didn't dawn on me to use these for the handles until I keep braking the toothpicks... lol

Early afternoon update for you guys....  I sat at the Computer this morning designing up the Mallory Ignition Box which I will have 3D printed. Hopefully it will print ok but here are some shots of what it looks like....

Exploded View:

Isometric View

Back Side view of the mounting bracket

Side View:

Another view:

Funny thing Bro. I picked up those same sticks, (thinner than ice cream sticks), for that very same purpose. The first thing I did when I unpacked them was to segregate the ones with the best / most grain. Glad to see they work so well.

That ignition box is going to be incredible. Can hardly wait to see in on there.

Keep on Chooglin' Buddy. I have every faith in you and I truly believe you'll be done by DSC. No doubt. Probably........

Joe... Thanks buddy. Its pretty cool how we can utilize many different types of materials for our builds. The ones I got from Hobby Lobby were probably the same size as a Popsicle stick. I know some of the ones I had, some were crooked and bent. I can't wait to get the Ignition box printed. well many other parts. I pretty much only have one more to draw up before I send out a nice big lot to print. I am sure hoping that I will have it done for DSC.

Wow! I haven't been able to check your progress for a while but looks like you've been very busy lately! Great work with the body, it definitely looks better than it did before and those steering wheel grips are amazing. Very nice little detail that is usually left out. Great job as always...Can't  wait to see what you're going to work on next.

WOW< I still think your nuts,,,,,,,,,,,but in a good way. So keep em coming

When this does make its debut all done, I hope if gets pages and pages of  magazine coverage. I assume its not going to be in time for the Desert Scale Classic this year?

And I just thought of this,,,but does Don Prodhome know this is in the works ?