Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hello All..... I know it has been a while since I have posted any progress on this build. Just wanted you all to know that I finished my first week at my new job and have sat down very little this week to work on this build. But I promise that there will be much more going on with this build now. I have just a few pics to show you right now with what I got accomplished last night. I didn't have time to post last night, so here are a couple pics to hold you over. I am hoping to make more progress tonight and I will be working on it over the weekend. Thanks for checking back in on this build and let me apologize up front for the pictures. For some reason they didn't turn out that great.

I have started on the steering gear box mounting tab:

2v2uJyZSPxAhe9C.jpg

Here I have drilled holes in the mounting tab and then made another tab which will be bolted up to the tab glued to the frame:

2v2uJyQvmxAhe9C.jpg

The next step is to get the rest of the steering bracket completed. Here I have mocked up a cross bar as to where I want to glue it to the tab. Once I get part of that done I will be making a couple other mounting tabs for the opposite side of the frame. You will see when I get them done and It will make more sense I think:

2v2uJyQKVxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Chris and Rom, its been about a year for my Fiat too so neither of you is alone on that front. Great progress Chris and glad to hear you'll be getting more time in. Rom - you just have to make it out to Desert Scale Classic if there's any way possible. Be good to meet you and see some of your builds in person.

yeah, on the shifting....they were fun.....you could always tell a "good" run when they shifted.....(now it's just one load roar, no appreciable sound difference throughout the run) in the 80's, Bill Mullins, Gene Snow and a few others made high gear only possible once again (was used in drag racing long before) and it was made possible with L&T clutch management....the throwout bearing control was the key, and then Jom Head cam along with the timer system to time the clutch management....took a few people to make it all work again, but then shifting was history. I do believe Gene Snow (in his b&w TF) was the first one to make a real serious number with the set-up, and within a number of races, everyone was running them.

Now, speaking of....and only because I can't remember his name, there was another innovator (they all were) that ran an EXTREMELY narrowed rear differential in TF.....bugging me I can't remember....of course, I remember Mark Niver making his own transmission in the shifter days, and his own blowers....that guy will be missed!

Alright so I did a little work on this tonight. worked more on the steering mount. I didn't work as much on it today as I was hoping for but then there is always tomorrow. Here is a quick a short update for you.

Started out by getting the bigger hole drilled in the bracket:

2v2uJyQBTxAhe9C.jpg

I then made the tabs for the other side of the frame and go them glued in place, I still need to trim the cross tube down but was leaving to let the glue dry real well:

2v2uJyQnCxAhe9C.jpg

I had to take a pic from this angle just to show:

2v2uJyQVgxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is with the steering column and wheel just for mock up purposes:

2v2uJyQPWxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Rom...i cant't believe how time flys. You are right it has been a year since I started this. oh man that would be great if you were able to make it out to the Desert Scale Classic in april. would love to see your Daytona there.

Hey Chris and Rom, its been about a year for my Fiat too so neither of you is alone on that front. Great progress Chris and glad to hear you'll be getting more time in. Rom - you just have to make it out to Desert Scale Classic if there's any way possible. Be good to meet you and see some of your builds in person.

Guys Im already making plans to be there. Is there a hotel near where the show will be held? , My Brother-in-law and I plan to leave here on that friday so i want to make some reservations for over night. And maybe we can hang out the night before. Romell B)

AWESOME!! Here's a couple of hotels that are rated 4 1/2 stars that are at Interstate 17 and W. Greenway about a mile or so from the Postal Workers Hall where the DSC is being held.

I am really looking forward to hooking up with you Rom. Your brother-in-law too. You should plan on going home on Sunday though as there is usually a BBQ after the event.

LaQuinta.jpg

Embassy.jpg

BTW - great progress Chris. I don't suppose this will be done for DSC, will it?

Edited by gasser59

Brad... I will have it there but I don't know if it will be done though :lol: . I had a goal last year to have this build done for this show but due to my old job it sorta go in the way of a lot of build time. Then I told myself that I wasn't going to rush this build to just get it done since I wanted it done right. I really need to jump back to my 1/16th scale FED and get that one finished for this show. and I am also debating if I can get a curbside on another car done (which hasn't been started).

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Brad for the info I will be there with the promod and its gonna be done for this show, im only a couple weeks off completion. Chris you should bring that pretty rail you painted up a lil while back I loved the paint on that one.

Hey Chris,

I haven't posted in a while, but I've been watching. Fantastic work, as usual! Congrats on the new job! I'll be looking for you at the Desert Classic. My buddy, Bruce Tanaka (Brudda on the MCM forum), will be coming down from Reno, NV for the DC.

Now, speaking of....and only because I can't remember his name, there was another innovator (they all were) that ran an EXTREMELY narrowed rear differential in TF.....bugging me I can't remember....of course, I remember Mark Niver making his own transmission in the shifter days, and his own blowers....that guy will be missed!

That would be Clayton Harris. He ran the Exremely narrowed rearend and a mono-strut rear wing.

Have A Great Day!

YES!!! Clayton Harris!!!....Thanks Uncle Keith! Garlits had always said the best fueler would have one tire, one drive point, limits the possibility of unloading one side or the other, and Clayton pretty much made one tire out of two....

Edited by rckymtn3

Hello Fellas... I was able to sit down tonight for a little bit and make some more progress.

Joe... Scale hardware sells wrenches for the .8 mm & 1.0 mm bolts. he used to have them for the .5 mm but I think he was having a hard time with having the wrenches made. here is the link:

http://www.scalehard...et-wrenches-c-4 , it looks like he out of a few. Shoot Bob and email and I am sure he will let you know when he will be getting more in.

Art... thanks buddy... I am seeing way too many chassis brackets these days :lol: but closer to having the chassis buttoned up.

Keith... thanks man. I will be at the Desert Scale Classic and this in progress build will be there for sure. will be great to catch up and meet your buddy coming from Reno.

Ok Guys... so I did it again.... I couldn't leave the chassis alone and had to cut part of it up again :o . Anyway all I pretty much have left is get some brackets fabed up for the gas pedal. In the mean time I realized I didn't like part of the kit chassis once again and hacked away at it. Once I found a few pics I decided that I needed to change the chassis up a tad again. I got most of it done but need to fab 2 more tubes to go in front of what I did tonight. So hopefully if all goes well I will have it done tomorrow. here are a few pics of what I did.....

Before:

2v2uJyQ8CxAhe9C.jpg

Cutting up the Chassis once again...lol:

2v2uJybEgxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the finished product, I used 3/32" Evergreen tubing and I still have two pieces of tube to finish tomorrow to complete this. The two tubes will create and X brace to help give you a visual of it:

2v2uJybQFxAhe9C.jpg

Top View:

2v2uJybkSxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Rom.... that's what I did last year with that front engine car. I brought it just to show it in progressand had no idea it would place when it wasn't even completed....lol... Stay tuned for more progress, gonna work on it some more tonight... ;)

Hey Art... thanks bud. Didn't mean to ignore your post. I definitly want this one done for next years NNLs.

Bart... you are so right I should of done a whole new chassis.... hmm maybe i should do one for a spare lol.

Edited by Mooneyzs

So I sat at the bench tonight for a little bit of tinkering. Got the rest of the chassis work done that I started yesterday. Now I am in the process of designing up how I want to build the gas pedal and mounting tabs for it. I have somewhat of an idea but keep going back and forth on the style of the pedal. Anyway here are a couple of pics.....

Here is the addition of the rest of the chassis work that I was redoing from yesterday. I think it looks much better and glad I decided to cut the kit piece out and redo it.

2v2uJybVmxAhe9C.jpg

Mocked up to figure out how I am going to make the mounts for the gas pedal:

2v2uJyKoTxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs