Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Nice to see you back at work. Great job, bro.

Thanks Derrick, It feels good to be back at this build.

Chris,I for one do know that I'll be using ideas & such from this build when I get around to putting together a couple of my 1/16ths. I have 2 'Cuda bodies (from Greg Fox), ideas for them:Larry Arnolds 71 or 72 "Kingfish" & the Late Mike "the Worlds Fastest Hippie" Mitchells "Hippie" 72 'Cuda, will start work on one of these after I finish my P/M's (which means around 2025! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif )

Thanks Richard, I am glad I can help. I look forward to seeing your 1/16th scale builds as well as your Pro Mods. I would like to pick myself up a few of Greg Fox's bodies. They look like they are a nice quality. LOL at 2025 :D

amazing details...The Snake needs to see this.

Thanks Danny, I hope I do his car justice. I just wish I could have found more reference pics of the car. the ones I found off his website had some good pics but didn't show everything I was looking for detail wise.

MAN CHRIS!!! That rear end looks AWESOME! im glad you added the extra bracing like brad suggested. NOW GET BACK TO WORK!!!!angry.gifim sorry I dont know where that came from unsure.gif

Keep up the excellent work my friendcool.gif

Romell... Thanks Bud!!! I am happy with how this is turning out. Hoping to get to do some work on it in the next few days to get some more pics up for everone. I think you said to get back to work cause you want see more progress on this build... :D Thanks for the kind words.

Chris, the Greg Fox bodies I have (2 'Cudas,1 '71 Mustang & a Satellite), are from a few years back (before I moved to Tucson,been here 4 yrs.)when I was in Fl., got them through Model Express, don't know if he's still in business or not, I know for awhile his store was closed, don't know if he's reopened it or not. The bodies I got are nice, with a few problems,pinholes (small,but a few of them) & the bodies are a little thick, but not real bad. The Satellite body looks like it was from a modified Revell Dodge Charger body, I have 1 of the 'Cuda bodies already painted (to a point,still needs a little more & some touch-ups) for Mike Mitchells "Hippie" car.

Richard...Very cool on the bodies. I believe I have found his stuff on ebay. I just havent purchased one yet.

Tyrone... thanks bud, I still have a ways to go but am excited about this build.

Danno... Thanks buddy. I may make it out to one of the club meetings soon just to check things out.

Randy... Thanks, glad you are enjoying following this build.

So I was able to finally sit down and start designing the pulley's I am planning on having made. Right now these are just the first stages of the design. The crank pully is completed, the Idler pulley I am debating on changing just a smidge and the Blower pully still needs starter engagement piece designed which will go on the front face. All of the hardware you see in the 3D model will be Scale Hardware products. Anway wanted to share this quick update..... Thanks for looking

PulleyAssembly1-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

chris, excellent workmanship going on here. i don't know if you are interested but, there should be 6 attaching bolts to your lower blower pulley. with all the hard work you're putting into this. i couldn't see not saying something to you. keep up the great work!

Edited by comp1839

Outstanding!! So Scale Hardware is going to make these to the specifications you supply so they'll be available to the rest of us in 1/16" scale? If so, that rocks.

Brad Scale hardware won't be making them. I have a few places I was going to check and see what they would charge to make them. I have talked to Micro Nitro about making them as well as a local machine shop that we use where I work.

chris, excellent workmanship going on here. i don't know if you are interested but, there should be 6 attaching bolts to your lower blower pulley. with all the hard work you're putting into this. i couldn't see not saying something to you. keep up the great work!

Thanks Dave, You know, you are right about the lower pulley. I am going to change the design so there are the 6 bolts. I think I ended up drawing the pulley like that since that the way the one was in the kit. Thanks for the advice. I sould of done that from the beginning and was being lazy.

I was able to sit down and redsign the pulley's just a tad. Again I thank Dave for the advice on something I overlooked. I added 6 bolts to the crank pulley, added a separate piece of detail on the Blower Pulley for the starter engagement. The two pulley's you see off to the left side are alternate designs of the pulley's. which Idler pulley do you think looks better. I know the one on the left would be easier to machine but one on right would be more accurate. Thanks for looking.

PulleyAssembly2-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

The pulleys all look good Chris. Gonna make hard on ya!, I think the inside pulley looks better, as you said it'll be harder to make but it is more accurate, and as the rest of the car is being put together as accurate as you can, why not the pulleys?

Thanks Jim... as soon as I get the drawings completed I will .pdf them and send them over to you. I have a few minor tweaks I want to do to the parts, other than that they are ready. just need to lay them out in a drawing and dimension them.

Brad that looks awesome with the belt in there. I will have to add a belt to the assembly now ;)

Richard.... So true about the pulley's. I appreciate the feedback. That one is my preferece as well. Was just thinking as a back up plan the one on the outside.

Not a bad idea to have a back-up plan, just in case!, this build is great Chris, can't wait to see it done. Finally got a job! (well,pretty much anyway, still have to get 1 more o-k & then I can get my starting date),so maybe I'll be able to hit a contest or so next year!, ordered a body/scoop from TEM yesterday for my "Mind Witch" build I'm doing along with the "Angela" build, as soon as I can get ahold of the camera, I'll take & post some pics of the engines for the cars.

Richard that is great to hear about the job.... Congrats on it. I know the feeling, I am still doing contract work, its not perminante but thankful I have a job. Thats awesome about the body and scoop for your build. looking forward to seeing your builds. will be great if you can make it up for the Desert Scale Classic next year.

Jeff Thanks man. I am hoping to have drawings made so I can convert to PDF's and get these parts made soon.

I have gotten to do a little work on this build so far today and here are some pics, Still working on it today just wanted to post a few progress pics from today so far. worked on putting some bondo on the front axle, oil pan and sanding it down to lay some primer on it. Also finally got some glue I have been waiting to use on the photo etch disk brakes.

Here is the oil pan and front axle after putting some bondo down on it:

DPArmyVega3881-vi.jpg

All sanded and ready for Primer:

DPArmyVega3931-vi.jpg

Getting ready to finally glue these and then its time to design and scratch build the brake calipers:

DPArmyVega3971-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Few more pics of some progress that I made tonight. Was able to primer some parts as well as get the photo-etched disk brakes glued together with the centers I made and opened up the bolt holes on the Rims for the bolt studs I am planning on using on the hubs. Thanks for looking....

The Rear End, Front Axle & Oil Pan have been primered, Oil pans molded in drain plug was removed and drilled a hole for a Scale Hardware bolt:

DPArmyVega4041-vi.jpg

The disk brakes finally glued:

DPArmyVega4061-vi.jpg

Drilling holes a little larger in the Rims for the bolts:

DPArmyVega4081-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs