Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to Resin , JF 72' El Camino

Hi All, this is my first time working with a resin kit. I chose the El Camino because it was the first car I grew up liking. so now I'm building one of my own (would like to own a full scale one. lol). I've done my research about this kit, but it hit me that resin kits take time to make them look perfect. With the kit, I'm going make it a resto mod.

Question, was the kit suppose to come with a hood? I know i have to use a 72' chavelle to finish it off, but i thought it comes with a hood.

Looking forward to post more and looking at others' projects.

Joel

ElCamino.jpg

You will need the hood from the Chevelle kit. I have one of these that is pretty much cleaned up and ready for primer, been that way for a few years.

100_1525-vi.jpg

If you aren't familiar with resin, do a search here for lots of tips. If you want chrome bumpers, you can get a 1969 El Camino rear bumper and taillights and a 1972 Chevelle front bumper from Modelhaus.

Hi Joel,

Looks like its going to be a nice build,love the rims you put on.

Years ago, I worked with a guy who had the real car.He painted it

candy apple red and put a vette motor in it.He later sold it to

buy a corvette.

Keep us updated on the build.

Ron

Missing Link Resin also offers the more correct front bumper & grille assembly. The one in the JF kit is the badly updated one with the headlights sticking forward a bit too much.

Missing Link also does some not quite correct (but cool looking) Chevelle high-back bukcet seats with center console.

John

Years ago, I worked with a guy who had the real car.He painted it

candy apple red and put a vette motor in it.He later sold it to

buy a corvette.

Keep us updated on the build.

Ron

LoL. Im planning on doing th same (corvette motor). I'll keep you guys posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joel,

I picked up the Jimmy Flinstone '72 El Camino kit years ago to make a model of my real '71 El Camino. The resin kit is still in the box. It came with body, hood, chassis, Interior bucket and rear bumper. You were supposed to use a '72 Chevelle kit to complete it. anyway here is a pic of the Kit:

Picture045.jpg

and here is my '71 El Camino that I wanted to make a model of:

fe25e797.jpg

be4d60b3.jpg

Interior3.jpg

Interior2.jpg

095df488.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

DENCON Resin does a front end conversion for a '71 Chevelle that includes the side marker light panels and SS grille/bumper. Nothing is chromed, but all is very well done and quite usable. Might help with your conversion there.

Hey Joel,

I picked up the Jimmy Flinstone '72 El Camino kit years ago to make a model of my real '71 El Camino. The resin kit is still in the box. It came with body, hood, chassis, Interior bucket and rear bumper. You were supposed to use a '72 Chevelle kit to complete it. anyway here is a pic of the Kit:

Picture045.jpg

and here is my '71 El Camino that I wanted to make a model of:

fe25e797.jpg

that is a very Nice car

be4d60b3.jpg

Interior3.jpg

Interior2.jpg

095df488.jpg