Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Midwest StockCar

gasser59

I've been working on replicating a stock car I used to watch as a kid growing up in Iowa at the Shelby County Speedway. I've only had a few pictures to use as reference so alot of this build is from memory. Built from the Black Widow kit. For a bit of interesting reading on this shop, check out swanson-automotive.com and under About Us, read the PDF file.

Big challenge ahead is either finding a source for some fenderwell headers or making a set. It sure is tight in there for a set of these headers. As always, comments welcome.

IMG_5880sm.jpg

IMG_5878sm.jpg

did anyone run the fenderwell style on the circle trackers? seems like they would have been in the way on the drivers side with the taller tires.

very nice work so far! keep us posted :lol:

It's the right side you need to worry about. In the day, and present too (at least on the dirt tracks) you run a smaller LF than the RF. Makes the weight and heat balance out that way. You do it to try and make the LF actually do some work. With the tall RF and the body roll or counter steering, that is the side I would worry about making contact.

Here's a set of circle track fenderwell headers. The subject matter is 314 Y engine headers located at this link with pics near bottom of page.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic51816-3-1.aspx#bm51818

c4aa21c4-fe54-4b5d-8016-fb20.jpg

First thing I'd like to say is "Thank You" for getting the trim holes all lined up and they seem to be the right size! It seems like that detail is always overdone and the time is never taken to get them lined up. On another note, if I could make a suggestion.....the door lock cylinder hole should be larger as should the door handle hole closest to the edge of the door. The door handle hole towards the front of the door is perfect size. But really though...Great Job!!

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. That's what I love about this forum, everyone is so helpful. I'll get the aft door handle hole as well as the keyhole a bit larger. I kind of figured I'd need to make my own fenderwell headers. Not much space in there especially on the driver's side with the steering box as well as everything else in the way. Thanks everyone. This has been a fun build and a bit more to do.

Thanks for the comments guys. They are appreciated. Here's my only color photo reference and you can clearly see the fenderwells in the sunshine.

SwansonAuto55CarSm.jpg

Those headers look like they hang down just like the ones I posted a pic of. Wonder if they are the same. lol Could not get that lucky could I.

i know from running fenderwell style headers on my street cars that sat low with skinny tires that most times the tires and the headers are fighting for the same space.

Tell me about it. I have a stroked big block Duster with fenderwells,as if there was any other choice. I'd like to run a taller tire for more roll out, but that aint gonna happen. If I raised the front for more clearance that would just cause more handling and traction problems, so I can't do that anyways. Sometimes your just stuck with what ya got.

Too bad we just can't put those 1:1 headers of yours on the copier and scale them down to size. Sure would be easier than making a set from solder.

LOL!! You said it there. I have a few projects that need headers and I wished I could do that to them too.

Edited by dwc43

• 4 weeks later...

Im finally back to work on the stock car. Made solder headers that I'm happy with. This is the second set as there is a bit of a learning curve. Engine is now glued in and finally assembly of body to chassis can now take place. deadline is this Saturday for the Desert Scale Classic. Thanks for the kick in the pants for using solder. I'll be doing this again.

IMG_6071sm.jpg

IMG_6078sm.jpg

Thanks David. I just glued the front bumper on and that's the last piece to add. In reviewing the couple of pix I just took, I can't believe the amount of dust around here. Here's one for now. More after the weekend.

IMG_6100sm.jpg

As always comments welcome.

Lookin good.

No matter how much you clean there's still a lot of dust around. I have allergies so I have run an air purifier for a long time now. You'll be surprised how much dirt there is in the air we breath. You might want to visit Lowes and get one. Bigger they are the more they cost. I always get one that is bigger than the room you intend to use it in. Runs quieter and uses less filters that way. Mine has both a charcoal side and a regular cotton gauze type filter.