Model Cars Magazine Forum

I love vans!!!

Are you going to cut open the hood? If you don't there's no point in detailing the engine as you won't see it, except the oil pan from underneath! At least, that's the way it is with the three AMT Chevy van kits I have yet to build. Maybe the Nirvana is different but it doesn't look like it from the pictures. There's not much underhood detail provided in the kit.

I'll be following this with great interest. If you do open the hood, you might(?) inspire me to do the same thing!

Tony

• 4 months later...
Guest Johnny

The wheel arch flares on the yellow van are perhaps a bit too big, i like the blue one with green flames though, very different!

No, the wheels and tires are too narrow! :lol:

Nice paint! .. that's not a box that's gonna be easily lost in a crowd.

Are you going to cut open the hood? If you don't there's no point in detailing the engine as you won't see it, except the oil pan from underneath! At least, that's the way it is with the three AMT Chevy van kits I have yet to build. Maybe the Nirvana is different but it doesn't look like it from the pictures. There's not much under hood detail provided in the kit.

I have to comment on this as I found the "Chevy" van I'm working on ... actually an A-Team kit had so much good detail on the engine and compartment I I never understood why the hood didn't open. That was a crime for sure. This looks like the same engine, but maybe some stuff wasn't included in this issue.

Edited by Foxer

The kit DID originally have an open hood in the first couple issues but as I understand it, it weakened the body so a lot of the kits ended up warped. The hood was then molded closed to prevent that.

Interesting ... at least the hood is pretty easy to cut open in the normal way. I decided that for my build, I needed to lessen all the "make work" detailing I do. B)

The kit DID originally have an open hood in the first couple issues but as I understand it, it weakened the body so a lot of the kits ended up warped. The hood was then molded closed to prevent that.

That explains why i got mine soo cheep, Well, average cost of a new kit

AMTChevyPolicevan3qtrView.jpg

Great looking paint job and the colors look Cool on it..

I wouldn't worry too much about the closed hood. The engines on these vans are not all that visible through the hood. About all you can see from the hood are the brake reservoir, battery, radiator, fan and other stuff like that there. The separate piece in the interior that looks like an oversize transmission hump is actually an engine cover. The radiator hose in the bottom picture of Post #6 points to it on the instructions. Much of the engine maintenance is performed from the interior of the van with that cover removed. For example, checking the transmission fluid and gapping the points would be done inside.

The problems with the engine cover on the model are that it is difficult to see and manipulate with the doors molded closed, and it won't always stay in place. Still, if you want a fully detailed engine, leaving the engine cover off is probably your best bet. The interior would be accurate with it removed.

• 2 months later...