Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Cars of Rock 'n' Roll and Country Music

CorvairJim

Nick: Great build! It looks exactly like something Sammy Hagar would have.

Dave: Thanks for posting that link. Things like that add spice to CBPs like this. I'd never heard of that contest either, being on the wrong coast and all, but seeing the connection that Sammy Hagar felt (and clearly still feels) to the car hobby is cool indeed. The local Classic Rock station here in the Philly area, 102.9 WMGK, had a giveaway promotion about a decade back, with the grand prize being a fully restored 1977-ish Trans Am.

Now I'm getting started with the '32 Ford. I must strip the paint off from the body, but I haven't got time to get new bottle of it. On Saturday I'm going to pick new one, and start stripping the paint. But I hope I can start working with the engine already, so there might be an update coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What appears in the video doesn't matter. This CBP is about the way YOU see the car in your mind's eye when you hear the song. For instance, check out Jantrix's fine "Flatbed Ford" ("Take It Easy", by The Eagles). He built a chopped '34 parts store delivery truck while I had always envisioned it as a faded white late-60's F-200 with minor body damage and maybe a hay bale on the flatbed. Two entirely different concepts, and they're both right. It all comes down to the builder's imagination.

The '65 Corvair I was (re)building for the "Glue Bomb" CBP is now finished and so the "Little Old Lady's" '64 Dodge 330 is back on the table. I shot the paint a couple of weeks ago and polished it out this evening. The interior has been done for a while now, so it's time to get cracking on the chassis and drivetrain. It's been about 5 years since I've done a Mopar, so I hope I remember the details...

Finally I have some pictures of my '32 Ford Project. I have glue bomb with all of the parts, they just need to be stripped off from the paint. Body is painted white, and I've been thinking about flake blue paintjob. I've painted the engine once, it needs still at least one more coat of paint. I have also assembled the wheels and tires from Revell '29 Ford Pickup. I'll use those hubcaps too.

PC100392-vi.jpg

PC100393-vi.jpg

PC100394-vi.jpg

PC100395-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The '77 Firebird Esprit conversion I was building for a friend is done and I'm back on the "Little Old Lady" Dodge full-time now. The body is red and polished out , the engine is nearly completed, the interior IS completed, and the chassis is well on it's way. (I'm considering the crazy thought of using the Jo-Han '64 Polara 500 body instead, just to be different, if the Lindberg 330 interior will fit right. I don't want to use the crude Jo-Han interior. I have photos of one of five Super Stock '64 Polara 500's out of 153 Super Stock cars Dodge built for 1964, and it's shiny and RED!), I hope to get some photos posted soon.

How is everyone else doing? Any updates?

Not much done since the latest updates, but I guess it's time to get back building these soon, when I finish two fast builds first. They have a tight Deadline, so they make my other builds stalled for a moment.

Hey, I didn't know that about David Clayton Thomas singing lead for Ides of March! I

That's because it's not true. There was no conection between The Ides of March and BST and they made that clear on stage because a lot of people who heard "Vehicle" on the radio would say that they were using the BST horn section and they wanted to stop that rumor. I heard them live more than once back in the day. Pretty good band until they would do "Vehicle" - then they were killer!! They just couldn't follow up that hit. Their singer was Jim Peterik who was later in Survivor.

http://theidesofmarch.com/bio/

Darrin: The "Chevy Van" looks fantastic! so far. You're a lot closer to being done than I am. So, are you thinking some groovy murals on that bad boy?

Manuel: Yeah, I did a little personal research into that, and found the info that was given on here wasn't right. I didn't want to make a big thing about it at the time, but thanks for setting the "record" straight :lol: . Just running Survivor's "Eye Of The Tiger" through in my mind, I can definitely hear the voice. It would have been nice if Ides Of March had charted with more songs. "Vehicle" shows the kind of potential they had. Here's a link to the band's Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia...._of_March_(band)

I finally got around to taking a picture of where I am on my "Little Old Lady" Dodge. I'm a little further along now, since I managed to get a couple of hours in on it this evening after taking this photo. I got this kit as a part of a load of unbuilt models, partial built-ups, supplies, and several parts boxes that I got from a guy who was leaving the hobby about a decade ago. I found that this kit had the MCG photoetch set with it so I decided to try it out. The dashboard bits were a a pain in the tuchus, but the grille went into the kit grille surround/bumper easily. I just had to polish it out and curve it to the right shape. Anyhow, here's the body and interior so far:

DSCN6619.jpg

I'm still toying with the idea of substituting the old Jo-Han '64 Ploara body for the Lindberg 330. I have a couple of photos I took at a car show last summer of one of the five Super Stock Polaras Dodge bolted together back in 1964, so I thought I could do a replica of that car. Too bad the Lindberg 330 interior is so much better than the old Jo-Han Polara stuff.

I'm moving forward with the 330 body, but I haven't quite given up the thought of the Polara. The MCG photoetch grille wouldn't fit the Jo-Han grille surround, even if I wanted to go through the trouble of cutting the molded-in grille out of it. As of this evening, I've made some decent progress on the car, and hope to have it done over the weekend. The engine is together and wired, in the chassis, and it's on it's wheels. (I realize blue ignition wires aren't right for a 60's vintage build, but it's what I had on hand and I want to get this one finished!) I couldn't wait to see how my computer-generated 1964 California plates looked on it, so I went ahead and mounted them up. I forgot to mention that, figuring that the "Little Old Lady" is the practical sort, she ordered her car with the bench seat - I used the seat from the Jo-Han Polara, since the upholstery pattern matched! In true 1960's style, she's got rough-cast mags on the front with steelies in back.

DSCN6622.jpg

DSCN6621.jpg

Next up: BMF. I can hardly wait... <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally got it finished! About 13 months after I started, it's DONE! I pushed my personal envelope with this one, with mixed results. I tried out a few things that I either haven't done in the past (kitchen foil instead of BMF since the last 3 sheets of BMF that I've bought don't stick worth a darn!), or have rarely done (engine wiring and photoetched trim). Anyhow, with no further ado, may I present "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena"!

And now that you're in the proper frame of mind, here's the model:

DSCN6700.jpg

The photoetched grille was a lot more fragile than I expected. I wound up breaking one grille bar out of it completely and breaking a couple more of them loose at the bottom. A lot of guys love to use photoetched details, but they take a lot of work to get them to look right. I got frustrated with the fiddly little letters for the hood and deck lid, so I went with the kit supplied decals for those emblems instead.

DSCN6699.jpg

In back, you can see that the photoetched Dodge "Fratzog" went on OK, as did the Dodge naeplates on the quarter panels. I blacked those out with a Sharpie before polishing them with a polishing cloth while still on the fret. It highlighted the raised lettering and surround while leaving the recessed areas that are black on the 1:1 car black. The license plates are computer generated replica 1964 California tags with the exact colors and typeface. I found the guy who makes them on eBay - a set of 5 pairs cost $2, and got him to make me some personalized plates for other builds at $1 per pair. How cool is that?

DSCN6695.jpg

I don't wire too many engines, but I had to do this one. I got this kit in a package deal over a decade ago and it had the pre-wired distributor and the photoetch fret in the box. I did my research - the coil IS supposed to be chrome!

DSCN6697.jpg

The interior was done as closely to the standard color scheme as I could do it with the research I could do on it. The photoetch set had a full instrument panel for the dashboard, complete with gauge surround and printed gauge faces. The shift lever is one of my homemade straight pin jobs, and the turn signal lever is a piece of polished piano wire with a paint blob knob on the end.

Edited by CorvairJim