Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started this one the other day, working on making the hull correct. Any comments are welcome and Thanks for looking.

DSC01960.jpg

Damaged frames from the mold

DSC01969.jpg

What I'm using

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

Compared to original it looks pretty good. A couple of pieces will need fixing.

DSC01972.jpg

Some extra parts I got, the detail is awesome.

DSC01961.jpg

Again, Thanks for looking

HooRah Squid!

If it makes you feel any better, I just spent $270.00 getting everything together to build a 1/48th scale model of an E-2C Hawkeye I worked on. Never thought I would miss the platform, but time and hindsight make me miss both (airplane and the Navy) more each year.

i havent built a ship since i was 14 yrs old.. but revell just rereleased the hms campbeltown which was a wickes/clemson class destroyer. dd267 was the uss ballard so i'll be building that. good thing my decal guy was a sailor, hes keen on doing the decals.

Some more work on the hull, it was all wrong for this class. I wish I knew why Academy made it like this.

DSC01973.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

DSC01976.jpg

The keel stabilizer groves were filled in and then the parts modified and remounted, the gyro controlled fin stabilizers will mount behind the new parts

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

The rudder post is in the wrong place, I will shift it over to the stbd by 2'

DSC01981.jpg

My attempt at making the fin stabilizers, I glued 4 pieces of .08 evergreen together and then eyeballed the shape and size

DSC01980.jpg

Something I work on while the ship drys, this is for a club "3 inch base" contest. It is a F-4 eggplane.

DSC01983.jpg

I just got some more P/E for this kit (like I need more frustration B):blink:) I will show the 2 different sets and a couple of the differences.

This is the WEM set

DSC01989.jpg

This is the Yankee set

DSC01986.jpg

Now for a couple of differences, notice the thickness of the main radar. First one is the WEM then the Yankee.

DSC01993.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

The instructions for the Yankee are a bit sparse compared to the WEM.

DSC01994.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

The Yankee set has items on the sheet that are NOT covered in the instructions such as these Whale Boat parts (#5)

DSC01988.jpg

The detail of some others parts vary also such as the fire hoses and life-rings. The railing is a bit different on each sheet but between the 2 of them it should result in a higher level of detail. The Yankee set has both masts but I'm not sure I'll use them as I think P/E masts look "flat" instead of having some depth.

As always Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Cool to see someone who knows the boat putting the kit together. The photoetch differences could be from different times in her service life, as even our E-2Cs varied depending on whether it was a Group0, Group1, Group2, Group2+, or Hawkeye2000.

Keep building her Capn'.....I'll keep an eye on it!

hi again, just a quick update. I have been starting some of the smaller items and seeing how everything is going together. I tried the Yankee P/E mast and to be honest I'm not impressed, to me it looks flat and just not right, that being said the kits radar mast was a PIA to build as nothing lined up plus the fact that both masts have extra beams that need removing. I also scratched up a towed array opening on the stern, I know the Perry was a short hull but she did have that system installed.

Both of the masts plus part of one I started to build

DSC02006.jpg

Yankee mast, just does not look right

DSC02005.jpg

Kit mast, must better and proper shape.

DSC02004.jpg

Towed array opening

DSC02003.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

My attempt at a scratch built prop, one guess as to why I'll be redoing it. I misjudged the spacing ;)

DSC02009.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again, sorry for such a long delay but I have been busy moving and dealing with life in general. I have had some time to work on this and have a few extra pics to show, as always Thanks for looking and feel free to critique.

This shows some small parts like ammo lockers and deck lights plus an early version of my ships bell, a bit big there :(

http://DSC02013.jpg

This shows that modified bulkhead in place with the bell

DSC02016.jpg

This is the flight deck with scratch made bollards and hatches plus the 02 lvl in the background. I've striped all detail off the 02 lvl as it looked pretty bad IMO.

2011-09-20_21-30-37_232.jpg

2011-09-20_21-30-50_459.jpg

My modified stacks with scratch steps and lights plus a new rear door.

DSC02014.jpg

six years on two sub tenders, myself... we had a huge model on the messdecks of our ship as it was delivered from the shipyard in '63, and it was solid hulled on one side and open on the other.... detailed from the masts to the bilge and built from scratch.... i used to stand and look at that thing in wonder. it was probably four or five feet long at least, and our ship was 600 feet long......38 feet abeam and if i can remember correctly, sixty feet from o-2 level to the keel.... roundbottomed old girl wallowed in heavy seas like a drunk prom queen.

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing quite a bit of work on this, and it is definately increasing the accuracy of the build.

Is Academy's new "Reuben James" based off this kit? . I want to build a modern ship, and that kit with PE added seems a fun time. Trouble is I want some accuracy, and if it's based on this I won't bother as I am not up to speed on ships.

G

You are doing quite a bit of work on this, and it is definately increasing the accuracy of the build.

Is Academy's new "Reuben James" based off this kit? . I want to build a modern ship, and that kit with PE added seems a fun time. Trouble is I want some accuracy, and if it's based on this I won't bother as I am not up to speed on ships.

G

It is upgraded version of this kit. They just add some P/E to the kit. I just got my 3rd P/E kit and I can not wait to get as it has all the doors and hatches plus lots of other parts that the other 2 kits didn't have.

This is the kit I have ordered. http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KAM-MS-35008

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...