Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are We Model Hoarders?

I am sitting at my bench and I can hear the TV in the living room which is next to my hobby room. My wife is watching an episode of Hoarders and I have watched a few scenes of this show and the hoarders with their piles of stuff that they say they simply must have. Some of these scenes are quite disturbing and it got me to wondering about us modelers. Are we hoarders? I know of at least one modeler with a garage full of models and kits and have heard stories of others with closets and storage sheds and cellars full of models. Some say they would never part with any of their collection of models while others are willing to trade for other kits, but the question still lingers...are we hoarders?

With only 54 kits in my stash, I know I am not a hoarder. All my kits are neatly stacked on a bookcase in my hobby room, and barring any unforseen disaster, I plan on building all of these kits in my stash. Even at the age of 58 years young, I will be building for many years to come and well into my retirement years and old age.

So, how about it my fellow modelers...are you hoarders?

Edited by mrmike

Hoarding? I dont think so. Im rather young compared to some of the other members of this site (no offense gentlemen) and while I only have 9 kits being built, I dont think we are. Considering the rarity of being able to find kits anymore. I remember walking into Meijers or Wal Mart and they would have a whole shelf dedicated to kits, and now, you cant even buy supplies from these stores. Here in my town, the only 2 places to find kits are Hobby Lobby and the local R/C shop. If we didnt have the internet, I do think this hobby would die out. So I say, as long as it doesnt over run your house, there is absolutely no shame in obtaining kits.. the more rare, the better. I know some kits are worth $$$ to die hard collectors today, and its good to see that people do care about this hobby.

There is a quote, Borges maybe, "we buy more books thinking we are buying the time to read them". Seems like an apt description of models too. I have about 125-130 models currently - I trade and sell and buy regularly, but in reality will be left with unbuilt kits someday. Some I have pilfered, others I had interest in at the time (not so much now), others I have plans for, and others are just there, waiting for a decision. Hoarder? Maybe a degree. I do have them neatly stacked on shelf in the "studio". My books? Well, that's another thread on another forum.

Guest Johnny

Talked to an old friend the other day. He said he hasn't had time to work on a model in 6 years ever since he bacame the only major repair mechanic at the trucking company he works for.

He said last count he had a little over 2200 unbuilt models and was stil buying! His garage attic is full as well as two closets in his build room! He was not sure on how many finished he has but said he has never sold or given away a built model since he started as a kid in the early 60's!

They date back to the 60's!!! and no, none are for sale or trade!B)

I might be an oddity in this group. I think I have about 35 kits in my stash. I feel guilty about it; both because I'm not spending nearly enough time modeling, and I don't want to accumulate more than I can reasonably build.

I know I have a few kits that are going to be a major commitment to build, and I don't really want to start them until I feel ready to tackle them. My Ernie Irvan cars, tractor, and hauler fall into this category. Otherwise, they're mostly run of the mill kits. I do have to say that when I went through them, there were only a couple that I really didn't want to build any more.

But, I feel the pull. We're like kids in the hobby shop and a big(ger) wallet.

And, don't ask me about my to-read pile. B)

Literally 1/2 of my basement is full of model kits. Some on shelves, many more in storage boxes. Are we hoarders? Oh yessss!!!!

At about 1,500 kits, it's a drop in the pan compared to someone I know, who has almost every available inch in his home filled with kits. It must now be up to 10,000+ kits. His only form of marketing these is an automotive flea market, when in season. He could sell them every day, and hardly put a dent in his collection. He is a hoarder, without a doubt. Last I knew, he was also collecting a certain brand of stereo speakers, as well as leather Harley jackets.

Edited by Jon Cole

Guest Johnny

I was up over 200 unbuilt at one time and still buying. IMPULSE buying to be exact!

One day I realized that I could not keep doing that! I already most likely had more models that I would ever build before kicking that preverbial bucket! So I took a good look at what I had and started thinning them out. I started to see that some were cars I liked as a kid but in reality had no interest in building. (think it was a cheaper version of a mid life crisis B) )

I am now probably down to about 50 unbuilt cars and trucks and maybe 30 started. Not sure of the finished as most are still packed away.

I have just recently sold few to one of my sons who has started building again.

I have a total of eleven models on hand. The number I am comfortable with is about 15 to 20 which is the number I will have in about a month.

At the rate I build at, and as I improve it's getting longer, these 20 will last me quite awhile.

Will I buy any after I reach that magic number,sure, if it's something I must have.

Honestly finances keep me under control, but I would love to have two or three hundred kits ready to go.

Short answer: Yes. I have about 30 lifetimes' worth of unbuilt models. And I'm not sorry.

Me, too.

My acquisitions fall into three general categories:

1. I have (for years) bought the kits I missed decades ago when I had less ability to acquire them,

2. I buy virtually every new issue that even slightly interests me, because I don't want to miss them while they're available (see #1),

3. And, I buy everything I can get my hands on that fits into my preference niches.

I buy 'em because I can; because I remember when I couldn't.

I buy 'em because I again may not be able to sometime in the future and I don't want to run out of projects.

I buy 'em because these are the golden days of the hobby.

I buy 'em because I can't stand the thought of one of you guys having something I don't.

I buy 'em because I have a specific project in mind for each one of them.

I buy 'em because I figure I have to finish them all before I go 10-7 and that means the more I have for building, the more time I get. Right?

I buy 'em because it drives my wife and my kids nuts. (Not really, but it sounded funny.)

I buy 'em because it keeps me off the streets and out of bars and away from girlies of ill repute and stuff like that.

B)

Me, too.

My acquisitions fall into three general categories:

1. I have (for years) bought the kits I missed decades ago when I had less ability to acquire them,

2. I buy virtually every new issue that even slightly interests me, because I don't want to miss them while they're available (see #1),

3. And, I buy everything I can get my hands on that fits into my preference niches.

This pretty well sums up my hoarding, too. I cut my collection way back a couple years ago when I sold off about 500 kits - I probably have at least that many left. I've managed to slow my kit buying down a lot since then, too. The only reason I sold them was lack of space - I'd completely run out of room and it was becoming a real problem.

As Danno mentioned, for many years I couldn't afford to buy all the kits I wanted, and by the time I was able to, most of them were unavailable. So if something even remotely interests me, I pick up one (or two), since there's no guarantee that I'll be able to if I wish to at a later date.

Since my build rate is about one finished model every three or four years, I should be in good shape till I'm about four thousand years old. B)

I was thinking about this and came up with a list if what I would be happy with in my stash.

Any 1930 era's Ford or Chevy.

1940 Ford, at least three of these, love that car.

41 Willy's at least two, I have one now.

Any 40's era Chevy, Ford or Plymouth

Any 50's era Chevy, especially 55,56,57,58 and 59 Chevy's

1956 Ford Crown Vic.

1960,61,62,63,65,66 or 67 Chevy or Ford.

!966 Chevelle SS 396 hardtop and conv.

1966 Buick Wildcat

1962 or 63 ford Thunderbird.

1972 Nova.

Would that make me a hoarder??

I have to agree with most everyone here, YES!! :lol::lol::lol:

I might be an oddity in this group. I think I have about 35 kits in my stash.

Wow Dave, I've brought that many home from a model show on more than one occasion! :lol::lol:

I posted this over 2 hours ago and I am amazed at the responces so far! My goal is to see what others think about their stash of kits and if they might think that they could be a hoarder. I told my wife about this thread and I said that I am not a hoarder and she said that I was in denial. I disagree! I have found several different definitions on hoarding so I won't tell you folks which one is right or wrong. That is up for you to decide. But, when we go into the hobby shop or other stores and see models on the shelf, are you impulsed to buy one or two kits even if you don't really need it? Do you think you will have the time to build it before the BIG GUY comes and says it time to up to the BIG HOUSE?? I want to hear from more of you, my fellow modelers!

Are you a model hoarder?

–noun 1. a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.: a vast hoard of silver. –verb (used with object) 2. to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place: to hoard food during a shortage. –verb (used without object) 3. to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc. Use hoard in a SentenceSee images of hoardSearch hoard on the WebOrigin:

before 900; Middle English hord ( e ), Old English hord; cognate with Old Norse hodd, Old High German hort, Gothic huzd treasure; see hide1 , hide2

I think number three is the one I will go with, preservation and future use,

I am younger (30) than the average modeler on here, but I did not have the period of time (the distracting girl years) away from the hobby. I still got married, had two great kids and built models at the same time. So I have acquired about 250 unbuilt kits, 150 ish built models to rebuild and a ton of parts. So far my collection has stayed out of the rest of the house, my model room is not full yet. So I think I am not a hoarder, maybe a combo of collector and builder.

I think I am not a hoarder, maybe a combo of collector and builder.

In all seriousness, I think this describes the vast majority of us.

I'm sure very few of us may be 'hoarders' in the strictest sense ~~ which involves so much accumulation that all rooms and halls of one's abode are crammed with models and moving around or from room to room is seriously impeded.

:lol:

These photos may or may not answer your question. They represent, (including the stacks behind the main one), roughly over a third but less than half of my collection, (probably closer to a third):

100_0091.jpg

100_0090.jpg

100_0098.jpg

100_0097.jpg

100_0093.jpg

Now for a more important question; does it really matter? Other than the kits around my work desk, (& some I have in storage in NC), all of my unbuilt models are contained relatively neatly in one room, a room soon to become my full time hobby room, so they aren't taking over the house by any means. It's my disposable income to do with as I please, & my hobby to enjoy the way that I do. As long as my home is neat & clean, my bills are paid & there is food in the house, then nothing else matters.

Having such a large collection ensures that I always have something of interest to build, & that often I have parts I'm not using & don't need that I'll gladly & freely give to someone looking for them, despite my undeserved "reputation" as, well, several people here have had several different & colorful descriptions of me shall we say, & leave it at that? :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Hey Mark what do you want for the Snap Cuda? I have alot of GM stuff i'll never build. Send me a PM with your wants, Only if you want to trade it off . :lol:

Guest Johnny

After seeing some episodes of the show,there is no way I can put myself in that classification.I do sometimes wonder am I beginning to be a collector and not a builder.I have well over 400 models on 4 tier plastic shelving and it seems everytime I go to my LHS or Hobby Lobby I always have to pick up a kit or two even though I know I don't really need them at the moment.Maybe we have some sort of model dis-order and were in denial that we have a problem,I think it could be a sort of obsessive dis-order.Kinda like the same people that take 4 or 5 showers a day,or those that are always dusting and cleaning the house and picking up after you.I think we need to go on Dr.Phil and find out what goes on in our obsessive modeling minds.:lol:

You could be right George! I go to the model aisle in Hobby Lobby or Michaels and I have to fight with myself to resist the urge to buy. I will get dry mouthed and break out in a cold sweat just fighting the impulse to buy!!!!

Then my wife comes down the aisle and reminds me I'm broke!:lol: