Model Cars Magazine Forum

72' El Camino Build

Jocache83

Hi every1, Im using the JF El camino kit plus two other kits two build it; AMT 72' chavelle and a Revell corvette zr1. my plan is using the zr1 motor and transmission. my biggest concern is the transmission since the zr1 transmission is in the rear. also a concern is the drive shaft. the zr1 drive shaft sits higher than others. I will post pics once im out of the office. but should i just use the zr1 motor and use a different transmission or go all out with the rear transmission?

Thanks

Joel

Thanks for the input guys, im going to use the transmission and bell housing off the chavelle. i notice that the chevelle housing and transmission is connected to the motor. do i just cut off the motor off of it to use it? was thinking of just using the whole motor and trans but the motor on the chevelle is a lil' bigger than the zr1

I'm building a 1968 ElCamino and plan to use the the engine from a 94 ZR1. The engine that you plan to use is going to look way cool.Take your time and cut off some of the engine then just trim to fit it is easy.The bell housing from the Chevelle should line up nicely with a little trial fitting go slow and make it stand out from the rest. Some pic would be cool. (check out mine it is titled ElCormino and can be found in this forum) I do have a question to ask what are your plans for the body, hood,and hood window please shoot me an email you can find my address on my profile. Maybe we can make some kind of deal.Thanks!

Thanks for the input guys, im going to use the transmission and bell housing off the chavelle. i notice that the chevelle housing and transmission is connected to the motor. do i just cut off the motor off of it to use it? was thinking of just using the whole motor and trans but the motor on the chevelle is a lil' bigger than the zr1

DSCN0179-vi.jpg

This picture should help you out. This is a Revell Z06 engine mated to the tranny from an AMT 1965 El Camino.

Start by gluing the engine halves of both motors together. Then, using a razor saw, carefully separate the engine blocks from the bellhousing on both. Finally, glue the ZR1 block to the bellhousing from the Chevelle. You will have to modify the oil pan on the ZR1 to fit the Chevelle chassis. Don't worry about accuracy, it is a model so feel free to take liberties here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Start by gluing the engine halves of both motors together. Then, using a razor saw, carefully separate the engine blocks from the bellhousing on both. Finally, glue the ZR1 block to the bellhousing from the Chevelle. You will have to modify the oil pan on the ZR1 to fit the Chevelle chassis. Don't worry about accuracy, it is a model so feel free to take liberties here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info. will be working on my elcamino tonight. here's a pic of my el camino, with the wheels ill be using (going to paint it metalic grey). hope you guys will it.

P1060695.jpg

P1060696.jpg

Looking good the stance is perfect,your wheel choice is right on with the style you are building.I believe the color will be spot on. How's the engine work going?

Done gluing the Chavelle Tranny and the ZR1 motor together. here's the interior pics. using the zr1 interior for my build.

P1060715.jpg

P1060718.jpg

I need to focus on one section at a time. i keep on bouncing around from one section to another. LOL

couldnt go back to sleep so i decided to go im my man cave to work on my camino. motor fits, suprised that i was able to use the oil pan from the corvette. feels like i can bring the motor back a lil' more. what do you guys think?

P1060728.jpg

P1060731.jpg