Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '55 Ford P/U Custom update 7/13

I need a break from cars for a bit and pulled this '55 off the shelf to get it started. Going for a classic/ modern combo look. Lowered suspension, white-walls, chrome reverse wheels from the 49 Merc kit. 1/24 small block chevy from the parts box (originally from the 37 ford hot rod kit) topped with a Modelhaus resin Caddy air cleaner.

First up, scratchbuilding a real wood bed.

Cut out the plastic bed first.

DSCN3798.jpg

Cleaned up the bed frame.

DSCN3799.jpg

Some plastic framing for support of the wood bed.

DSCN3800.jpg

Piece of hobby wood cut to fit.

DSCN3801.jpg

Half-round used for rails. I'm not sure this will be the final decision on these.

DSCN3802.jpg

And some mock-up beauty shots.

DSCN3816.jpg

DSCN3817.jpg

DSCN3818.jpg

DSCN3819.jpg

DSCN3822.jpg

Lots of work to do but I wanted to share my progress thus far. Thanks for looking! B)

Edited by Ryan S.

Lookin' good Ryan! Is this a Revell/Monogram Reissued truck? I've been lookin' for one. I like the idea on the bed wood. Can't wait to see more on this awesome truck! :D

Yes, this is the recent R/M "classic cruiser" reissue of this kit. I built it when I was a teenager but that one is long gone, so I'm excited to put another one together; I love these 50's Ford trucks.

Thanks for the comments!

looking good so far. is this reissue any better than the old kit? my dad had a real one and i would like to build one.

Going strictly from memory, I think this kit is exactly like the one that was originally issued in the mid 90's. Nothing extra, nothing new. The same kit. The only difference is that it's molded in white, not red plastic (thank goodness), the box art model is purple, not red, and the decals included are flames, not the stripy ones in the original issue.

Mine had some minimal flashing to clean up, but nothing too bad.

Nice work so far Ryan. Great choice for the tires and wheels. If I could suggest. On the bed you should cut the wood into strips, get some H channel that has openings the same thickness as the wood and slide the strips into the channel. This serves two purposes. First, you can alternate the grain as on a real bed. Now your grain is all the same and looks like just what it is, one slab of wood. Second, from the underside it will look like a real wood bed too with the channels separating the wood slats instead of it looking as one big slab.

Nice work though so far. I always loved this year of Ford. Can't wait to finish mine.

Later-

One of my all time favorites!! I liked it better when I saw the first thing removed was the plastic "wood" bed ;) but then it got less kool :( a solid wood bed..Not bad with the round, but might I make a suggestion?

A trip to any airplane store will get you real wood strips. I buy bass, not balsa and along with some I beams you can scratch a bed 1 2 3!! ;)B)

this is my latest bed , I did a tut a while back I will see if I have that link

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

One of my all time favorites!! I liked it better when I saw the first thing removed was the plastic "wood" bed :blink: but then it got less kool :) a solid wood bed..Not bad with the round, but might I make a suggestion?

A trip to any airplane store will get you real wood strips. I buy bass, not balsa and along with some I beams you can scratch a bed 1 2 3!! :blink:B)

Thanks for the comments on the bed, Tom and Mike.

The more I've been looking at this the less I've liked the half-round I was going to use. It looks too big. The wood I'm using isn't balsa, it's either beech or bass wood. I really like the idea of using the I-beam pieces and cutting the bed into strips. Thanks for that idea...now I just have to get to a hobby shop and find some. I was planning on doing strips on the bottom of the bed so it wouldn't just be a wood slab and I think the I beams are the easiest way to do this.

I appreciate the suggestions you guys, thanks!

Looking good. I like the mods you've made so far, and those wheels are perfect.

Thanks Cranky. I had bought the tires with another model in mind and they ended up being too tall. When mocking the 55 up for ideas I tossed these under it and loved the way they looked. The bonus was the chrome reverses from the Merc. I had to drill out the center of the tires to make them fit, but being resin it was easy enough. I'm really excited about how good they look.