Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Transportation dificulties with dioramas

Barbo

Hi....for me , traveling from Puerto Rico to any state of U.S.A. is a new adventure . Every thing went wrong on my first flight with a diorama. I did not know the limited measurements for a ''carry on'' so at he airport I had to send the diorama box (cardboard box) with the normal luggage, and it was a disaster once I opened the box at the hotel . Now I start with the size of the diorama . At this moment I can carry on any diorama with me to the passenger seat if it does not measure more than 20"X10" . But most of my dioramas measure more. So what have I done . First of all, if the diorama is bigger than the size permited to carry on , I buld it in two sections . I carry one part and my son carries the other part. For East NNL I made changes , I took with me two dioramas , I rolled each of them with 4 bed sheets and plastic bubble bags , put them in clear plastic boxes (18''X24'' each) tape them and down they went with the luggage.."Perfect Landing"....I also carry on other models ''cars'' but in my suitcase....thats my story.....whats yours...........Barbo.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, Miguel, I'm a truck driver, and I build right in my sleeper as I travel. One of the many things I purchased on eBay was a built up reefer box trailer. The box is long, just under 2 feet, but narrow. It's perfect for carrying my trucks as they come together. My paints travel in an old utensil tray from an old kitchen. Other tools ride in a prepared shelf. Although my truck rides fairly smooth, I pull a flatbed, so I go into steel mills, mines, construction sites, and down rough roads. I make sure that when the model is packaged in one of my boxes, I brace it within the box so it doesn't shift. Some of the roads I travel are rough. As for bases, I work on them at home. I found that the key is bracing, and sometimes more bracing. Once I put my cabs on their frames, that's when the trucks become easier to break. I find too if you put the item in a box that's just big enough, brace it in, and then put that box within a bigger box.