Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the best clear for Tamiya Acrylics?

Kind of a wacky idea here but how about Tamiya x-11 acrylic clear?? :)

That can crack too if put too quickly over their acrylics. If you're going to use them you better make sure the paint is thoroughly cured in a dehydrator before airbrushing the X-11 clear. :) I had this problem with cracking when trying to use their paints on bodies back in the '80's. The paint formula was changed sometime around then but the cracking problem persisted.

I believe the problem is their clear dries much faster than the color acrylics...............the clear is dry but the paint underneath is still shrinking thus leading to cracking down the road.

Tim like others have said,get yourself some Tamiya clear and be done with it. Future is good for some things,but not as a clear over body paint. I like the TS-13 myself.

I agree...TS-13 is excellent, a little on the expensive side - but bulletproof B)

Gotta Agree on this one..TS 13 is the best ...but make sure your base is dry B) B)

The only reason I don't like acrylic clear is it can be washed away with water. Could this happen after the clear cures? Is it color-fast?

What is the cure time with either Tamiya color or clear? How does it take masking tape? Is pull-away a problem?

I painted a car (without clear). Great coverage properties and very little build-up. I decaled it and the setting solution seemed to dull or change the hue somewhat. Will this happen after I would use Tamiya clear before decaling or will the setting solution mess with the clear, too??

Edited by seeker589