Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

i would believe it has to do with exactly how both of these bodies were concieved and built greg. you started with a copy of a real '69 body and built and stretched and massaged it. much like the picture on the right in your post. the car has retained many of the actual '69 body lines and really looks VERY close to your body.

the cynergy body is sort of a clean sheet of paper design. it was a complete overhaul of the body. you can see there is not one area of the body that wasn't changed at least slightly.

there is nothing wrong with either design. both are kinda cool in their own way. it does explain the " you can't get there from here" look of the cynergy body, though. there are just "too many" changes and variances in the body to get there from modifying a stock body.

if you haven't cut out the doors yet, i think you should think about building your body into a nostalgia funny car. i think it has exactly the right flavor for the class and you wont weaken the body any more with working door cutouts. then you could have 2 virtually one of a kind cars for your collection........just a thought.

I like the way you think Dave. That's a very good take on the variances in the body styling.

The "you can't get there from here" makes perfect light of where I was trying to go with my body....as I said, close but yet way off. :lol:

I still love the look of the Cynergy Camaro, it was my first pick as a "want to build this style" when I kicked this off, and I think most guys using 69's at the track use their body.

As a side, my nephew was out to visit this arvo and the first thing he said was, "hm, you finally got one"...........

He's a 69 Camaro nutter (has a 1:1 for a full resto, one day) and he still prefers the body I started, even with this gorgeous new body sitting next to it. :wacko::lol:

And no, it's not too late for a funny car either. :) That is the BEST idea yet. And something I reckon is very doable.

The front clip is already cut off but nothing that can't be reversed......I'll get back to you on this, but yes.....Nostalgia funny car, that sounds awesome. ;)

Thanks Dave.

• 1 year later...

Woah, nearly 2 years has passed.... :( How life gets in the way sometimes, huh. One day at a time I say......

Well, a few changes and twisties along a bumpy road, progress on the TDR Camaro has regained some pace......still only in low gear.

I hope Dave (Comp) will be pleased to see this resurface, tho I know he will also feel sadness, as I haven't been able to utilize ALL the amazing "parts" which he so graciously provided for this build. :(

Weakness is a major flaw I have, and not being capable of "making" some basic rubber molds for wheels and tyres, I weakened and laid out some $$ for some from MicroNitro. Tyres I got from Rafael, thanks mate.

DSCF9635-vi.jpg

The body was the big aspect of this build which scared me the most.....as you know, the surface texture really is quite grainy, and I have had numerous tips and ideas on the best method of attack.

In the end, I chose to just go with paint, or primer in this case. I purchased some automotive grade sprays from my local parts store, some high fill surface Primer-Filler....It was ok, but the graininess was still there.

Back I went shopping and ended up with some Spray Putty. The difference was like chalk and cheese.

The following few picks just give an indication of how things will eventually look.....Bear in mind, all parts need to be sanded, and recoat with the spray putty. The front on shot of the hood has one side sanded, one not.

The primer-filler......

DSCF9742-vi.jpg

All coated with the spray putty.....

DSCF9752-vi.jpg

Half sanded.....

DSCF9756-vi.jpg

Still a good ways to go, but at least its a start. :)

Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to ask Q or post any queries you may have.

Cheers

Greg

• 1 year later...

Looking good Greg! You've done a nice job of illustrating the differences between the sanded and original texture side on the front clip. Looking forward to more, my friend... :)

Thank you so much Scott, sorry for being away MIA for so long mate. :(  Where does that time go........While I got you, any more thought to those amazing Dominators in 1/12th scale? ;)

Well, in the last 12 months I have given up my day job and become full-time carer for my Mum, she turned 95 in June this year. I thought I might get extra time for modelling, but it hasn't worked out that way so far. LOL :)

In any case, being prepared for when that happens, I have been stock piling some parts. :)

The "new" Camaro body I got from TDR is going to require a complete new chassis, the one I had made is too tall and the main roll hoop too fat.....Consequently, tearing it apart would be to ground level...solution, keep it to hang on workshop wall (1/12). ;) I received an order from Plastruct the other day in preparation for this, so it will begin shortly. Deciding to stick with plastic (styrene) and not brass as I feel it will be easier to work...The motor has been fully stripped down as well in readiness for new paint and detailing. Several new bags of braid from Pro-Tech have also been sourced from Ted @ Teds model market place. New wheels and tyres are due to arrive any day now (newly 3D printed), along with a 3D Mountain motor - complete with tunnel ram and split Dominators. :) (note -- NOT for Camaro)

And I weakened and got another 1/12 ProMod body...... a 63 Corvette. Wheelbase is a tad short at 108inch, but it should work ok.

20160715_133556-vi.jpg

20160718_132414-vi.jpg

20160715_134223-vi.jpg

20160723_141710-vi.jpg

your off to a great build with stockpiling all those parts for a rainie day

Haha, yep..was hoping the mailman was going to bring a box of goodies today, but I guess he got side tracked. :(  Maybe tomorrow.

Then the work will begin in earnest. :)

• 4 years later...