Model Cars Magazine Forum

1998 Bobby Hamilton Kodak Chevy

Billy Kingsley

Finished this one up RIGHT before I left for New Jersey for the NNL East. This is my tribute to the late Bobby Hamilton....Standard Revell-Monogram kit, built as I usually do...but, the first of my builds with a little extra detail.

I added a Modern Motorsports Earnhardt bar, I know I could...and have....made my own but it's not very much fun so I just bought them in bulk, lol. (21 of 'em!). I drilled out the holes where the spring posts go....I can't recall who gave me that tip, but from now on I will be doing that with ALL my 2002ish and older builds. I didn't break a post like I usually do, PLUS, it gives a rudimentary working rear suspension.

The interior was sprayed and I actually painted the interior of the body...Something I didn't really do but am doing now, and will continue to do.

Decals were Slixx, and I can honestly say, they stunk. Surprised me how bad they were. The red has absolutely horrible bleed through, it really makes the numbers look bad, in particular. They are almost completly translucent. The decals also had a tendancy to shatter, which was annoying but not unfixable. The top grill is a Slixx goodie sheet item, and the bottom grill the same from JWTBM.

I attempted wheel weights for the first time. They aren't as good as most, they are just silver paint, but it's an attempt at improvement and that has to count for something :)

2007March29th009-vi.jpg

2007March29th010-vi.jpg

2007March29th022-vi.jpg

2007March29th011-vi.jpg

2007March29th012-vi.jpg

2007March29th013-vi.jpg

2007March29th015-vi.jpg

2007March29th016-vi.jpg

Another build coming....

That vertical bar going from the center of the dash up to the roof hoop. After Dale's '97 crash where he was upside-down and a car ran into him, they mandated that bar to prevent cabin intrusion in similar wrecks.

I'm in the same boat as you for Nascar - Lost interest in Feb. '01. :)

Thanks guys!

Matt, you may be more prophetic then you think on the PE pins.... :D

Carl, the paint I used was a RC paint called Dark Yellow by Hanger 9. It takes forever to dry, about double Testors Enamel! :shock: Seems to take all kinds of clear. I've put Tamiya, Testors Enamel and Testors Lacquer over it.

Warning, does not react well with Ambroid ProWeld!

Guest roadkill2525

You wouldn't happen to have the decal for his name that goes on the roof in white. Im build the #51 Exxon car from Days of Thunder, its was Bobby's first Cup ride.

Very nice build and a nice tribute to a guy that lived for racing,about your SLIXX I have gotten fantastic decals from them and I have gotten some that were awful..just shattered when I tried to apply them :roll:

Guest zebm1

Hey Billy, next time yu do wheelweights, try some elmer's white glue full strength, applied with a toothpick. Wait till they dry, then paint them silver, gives a little 3 dimensional look to them. :wink:

zeb