Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engines with full internal detail

After seeing that Porsche Speedster in another thread with the pistons, connecting rods and crank, it got me to wondering, just how many 1/25 or 1/24 car kits out there have internal engine detail like this? I know some of the drag engines have engraved, block decks with piston heads represented and valve train detail engraved but I'm wondering about separate pieces like that Porsche has.

AMT 58 Impala has a crank, but no other rotating assembly, IIRC.

The Testors 1/24 scale garage diorama has smallblock Chevy engine internals, but I don't remember what the block looks like. I think the heads are detailed too.

Would that be one of those "Great Garages" kits? I have the 1/24 one but I haven't opened it yet.

No mass produced bi-scale kit has what you're looking for, but the Aurora 1/16 scale 417 Donovan and 392 Hemi engines come close, at least as far as the lower end is concerned.

Yeah, I have those, the Donovan's blower even has the rotors in it!

I was wondering if there's anything like that in 1/25 or 1/24!

AMT wynns jammer has a working crankshaft and blower rotors with a clear sump so you can see the crank turning .

Really!? Coool!!!!!! I'll have to get that one! (I might already have it!?) LOL

Depending on the level of detail you are looking for, the old Revell tri-fives as well as the early 50s Chevy have a pretty nice block with crank detail, block deck where you can see the pistons and the heads are fairly decent as well. Those were pretty nice because the underside of the parts looked like the underside of the real thing. In other words, the intake looked like the real one from whatever point of view you used. Also, the '66 Nova has a nice extra block & heads to be displayed separately. I started trying to fit the white metal crank available some time back into that to see if I could get a rotating assembly.

Not to call a technical foul here, but the thread starter asked about 1/24 and 1/25. The Racing Scenes/Funnycar engines, while very impressive are 1/16.

Just hoping someone would see this and do some reverse engineering down to the correct size.At least I'm not hijacking the thread with some inane comment as to "size matters":lol:

I'm familiar with those Revell engines with the molded in detail. I didn't realize there were so many engines in "American" kits that had that much detail though. I thought it would mostly be the Fujimi/Hasagawa or Tamiya type kits that would feature the detail. I remember, years ago, taking a V8 block and making a crank from sheet plastic (counterweights) and rod stock for the journals. I then used wire to make the connecting rods and bigger plastic rod for the pistons with aluminum tube cylinders. I looked horrible but you could twist the crank and see the pistons move!

AMT NovaCCI03072010_00013-vi.jpg

Note about this engine, it represents a large journal 302 or 350 4 bolt main Smallblock Chevy, rather than the 327 that would be in the 1:1 Nova. There were no small journal ('55-'67) Smallblocks with 4 bolt mains, and the only 4 bolt large journal ('68-'00) were the 302 and 350, the 327 was never produced as a 4 bolt block, other than a handfull of experimental engines.

>Mysterion show cars have some detailed internals such as the camshaft

which is kinda ironic because wasnt it the mysterion with its twin heavy motors, that didnt have internals to reduce the weight and strain on chassis?

Note about this engine, it represents a large journal 302 or 350 4 bolt main Smallblock Chevy, rather than the 327 that would be in the 1:1 Nova. There were no small journal ('55-'67) Smallblocks with 4 bolt mains, and the only 4 bolt large journal ('68-'00) were the 302 and 350, the 327 was never produced as a 4 bolt block, other than a handfull of experimental engines.

How do you arrive at these conclusions with such small and limiting detail ?It is labeled as an "accessory engine".B)

Edited by Greg Myers