Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 of my WIPs

doublej

Ok i usually dont show builds till theyre 100% done, but at the rate Im going it'll be 5 years before its all done.

1st car is inspired by the old SAE Sketchpad drawings back in the day. OK when did Lindberg come out with the 61 Impala? This is a 61 impala with a 67 chevelle roof. All the trim and chrome was smoothed and trunk was filled. I lengthened the rear qrts to line up with the new rear valance with exhaust cut outs. I built this main body 15 years ago AT LEAST, but i didnt put the cowl from the 67 onto the 61 body, so I could never find out how to get the front glass to fit. So it got put in a box and forgot. But i dug it out put the cowl from the 67 on it. Repainted it (it was originaly Boyds Sunburst orange) and got it going pretty good so far. You can see that Im using a complete Corvette Z06 for the rest of the car. Engine, chassis, interior.....everything Z06. I had to stretch the chassis 1/2 inch between the wheels, and more behind the rear axle to fill in the Impala bottom side. See the factory length in the foreground. Lengthened the trans axle, and now have to combine 2 interior tubs to make that work too. Also have flush mounted tail lights, split bumpers, and large Aoshima wheels. Thinking about the "Chevala" name...still playing with it.

S6301891-1.jpg

next is Inspired by the Cannonball Run CBP. You gotta have a car that is roomy AND hauls tail. Whats better than a twin turbo V10 Magnum?? Shaved & smoothed the door handles, added a challenger style fuel door (opposite side Oops), opened the front grill up completly and Im building a actual steel woven mesh grill to fit in there, and used the Viper SRT10 hood on the magnum. this was a major pain in the sitting area. Had to cut out the whole center of the hood and fab in the srt10 hood in 4 seperate pieces to make it work and look right. also hand fabed headers and turbo piping out of solder. Squeezing a V10 AND 2 turbos under this thing was horrible, plus intercoolers, piping and exhaust. Plan on painting it GTS blue pearl and running the double white stripes all the way down it. Not set on those wheels but they do look pretty good on it.

S6301892-1.jpg

S6301895-1.jpg

Hope ya enjoy the pics all comments are welcomed.

JJ

Thanks. Yeah I meant to take some pics of the hood when I was building it. The viper hood is much longer than the magnum one. So i had to cut out the whole magnum hood so i only had 3 sides left and then start piecing in the viper sections. 1st the center scoop and intake was glued in, then i had to cut the vents off the side and slide them forward to get them to fit, if not they wouldve been up near the windshield. lots of gluing, putty and sanding later it looks pretty good. wasnt gonna have many body mods on this so i needed the hood and front grill to be point on.