Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 ALMOST DONE builds

doublej

I posted pics of this Camaro some time ago. 69 pro touring with LS1 power and late model camaro rear 4 link, Ive added the stripes and its almost done. Need to get the rear bumper chromed from smoothing it and removing the bumer guards and finish the intake on the motor. But shes in the home stretch....

S6301900-1.jpg

S6301901-1.jpg

Up next is my 49 Merc. this is as "low key" of a build as I do. I NEVER do box stock or factory, but I tried not to get to crazy with this one. I wanted the paint to be the main draw of this build. Flush mounted the rear skirts, added bullet tail lights, Tan & brown interior with orange piping, added the front roll pan and made a custom split front bumpers (on my chrome tree to send off) trimmed down the front grill, to stay with the flame theme i added the photoetched flame steering wheel, valve covers and air filter all with orange painted flame areas. Wheel tire combo had me thnking for a long time on this one...I wanted Big wire wheels AND wide whites..good luck finding that combo anywhere, so I made my own. Used the wires from the Monte Carlo street burner edition and painted the wheels with cheap white folk art paint. Spread a thin layer of paint on a foam plate, lay the tire on it, and gently turn it. dont try for total coverage the first time. let it dry and do it again and again. 3 times worked good for me and I was happy with em. Now the paint.....Started with testors lacquer Inca Gold fading into Root Beer, polished it and had it smooth as glass. added 2 sets of decals, I wanted LOTS of flames on this car. So I added one set an inch back and 1/2 inch down from where the other set is. it looks like layed flames that run nearly the length of the car. then came the clear...6 coats of Tamiya clear Orange, polished then 3 more coats of clear pearl. Honestly the pics dont do this pant justice. it looks dripping wet and a foot deep. Once I put the front bumpers on its DONE!!

S6301898-1.jpg

S6301896-1.jpg

S6301897-1.jpg

S6301899-1.jpg

Hope you all enjoy. ALL comments are more than welcomed.

Thanks JJ

HUmmmmmmm ? Good question. Im pretty sure i used the engine in the merc kit, but i changed the heads to use diff valve covers for the flamed parts. the air cleaner was a long oval 2 carb style so i found an old highrise manifold, glued 2 carbs on it, made a "filter" outta white plastic and glued on the photoetched cover. Found some small parts box headers and went with it. I didnt even plumb or wire the engine. Thats how low key this build was to me.