Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 STP Paxton Turbine Indy Car

Scale-Master

This has always been a favorite car of mine. This is the 1/43rd scale SMTS white metal kit. Here is the body after a mild clean up (nice casting overall) and some scribing of the (already somewhat heavy) panel lines disturbed by that clean up. Also the rivet dimples were drilled to a uniform depth.

DSC09904.jpg

DSC09905.jpg

Tamiya Fine White Primer for the undercoat of the Day-Glo Red. All the little body parts have been cleaned up and dry fitted before the final application of the primer.

DSC09926.jpg

The decals were very yellowed and I thought I should replace the main white elements (like the numbers) with new decals. Upon further inspection I noticed how crude the artwork was. It may be an older kit, but I expected better.

DSC09925.jpg

So I set about drawing new art and printing a set of replacement decals. Research showed a few missing sponsor decals too, so I added what I could determine was needed…

Great start! I'll be watching this one.

"Silent Sam" has always been my #1 INdy Car of all time. I had one of the original MPC kits when they first came out but it was destroyed over the years. SInce then I've collected enough rebuildables and parts to build maybe 4-5 cars. Someday I'll get started.

For the decals I can suggest Indycals.net. They list the decals for the turbine car in six different scales, 1/43rd amongst them.

http://www.indycals.net/decals/indy/67turbine.html

Good luck.

Len C.

Mark,

Nice project! Always one of my favorite Indy cars and a victim of legislation as well unfortunately.

I built one too a little while back, albeit 1/24th scale and a working 4-wheel drive slot car...

Len FYI, Mark happens to be THE premiere decal maker to the stars! You can be assured that the decals he creates for this project will be WAY better than anything Indycals has to offer! (Which incidentally I used on my slot car... btw :( )

P1010316-vi.jpg

P1010319-vi.jpg

Carry on Mark! B)

Thanks guys. I saw and read plenty about Jairus's slot car while I was researching the real car. Making it 4WD was pretty cool Jairus.

I guess a lot of people don't realize my screen name of Scale-Master is from my trademarked decal company name...?

IndyCals decals do look nice, and the prices are very reasonable, but The lettering for "Oil Treatment Special" does not match the real car...

I guess a lot of people don't realize my screen name of Scale-Master is from my trademarked decal company name...?

Oops, color me red (as in embarrassed....)

Just trying to help, guess I didn't realize who I was dealing with.

LC

Edited by Len Carsner

No worries Len, it's not like the Scale-Master logo is on every sheet I draw...

Now, back to the building!

The basic suspension was assembled and aligned to the body and chassis, this is very important to do prior to applying the color coats to the body. Quite a bit of adjusting and massaging required on mine, especially for the front suspension. (Often par for the course on these older white metal kits.)

DSC09936.jpg

DSC09935.jpg

No tire decals were provided in the kit so I made a set. Here they are applied to the tires and finished wheels before getting a shot of Dullcote.

DSC09941.jpg

Very cool. If memory serves me correctly, I saw this on display at the 1968 NY Auto Show. I seem to remember taking a simple two color (blue & black photolitho) single sheet flyer they had of this car. If I did, I gave it to my brother, who probably still has it. I'll ask him, and if he does, I'll have him scan it so I can post it here.

I have that kit,is there any way I could obtain those decals?

No, sorry, they are already applied to the model:

I used Tamiya TS-36 Fluorescent Red. Several coats built up lightly over about a week. The last coat was allowed to dry overnight and I applied my decals.

DSC09956.jpg

DSC09957.jpg

That's a very nice build you have going on there - it's always great to see this particular car being modelled. I picked up one of the old MPC kits some time back on the Bay and added it to my never ending stock of as yet "unstarted" models - so seeing your build underway has given me the urge to get it out and see if I can catch the "Paxton Turbine infection"! - best of luck with yours and keep it going, Cheers,

Paul