Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine Dealers

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

This is a very old thread now, and a lot has happened since 2014 both to the magazine and model shops generally. Model shops are disappearing fast both in the US and the UK.

The magazine?.....Well that has gotten its own set of problems since 2014, so we will just have to wait and see what happens long term.

Ironic observation, Noel.  I had forgotten this thread, and my post above.

In the 5-1/2 years that have passed since then, the Scottsdale shop to which I referred has closed and the “huge new store” opened. It had a three year run and closed suddenly, unexpectedly, and infamously overnight. Long gone for a couple of years now.

No new shops have opened here, in the fifth largest metropolitan area of the United States. The remaining shops are struggling and without RC car and drone business a couple of those would probably be gone, too.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:24 AM, Danno said:

Ironic observation, Noel.  I had forgotten this thread, and my post above.

In the 5-1/2 years that have passed since then, the Scottsdale shop to which I referred has closed and the “huge new store” opened. It had a three year run and closed suddenly, unexpectedly, and infamously overnight. Long gone for a couple of years now.

No new shops have opened here, in the fifth largest metropolitan area of the United States. The remaining shops are struggling and without RC car and drone business a couple of those would probably be gone, too.

Probably safe to say that the struggles of hobby shop survival mirror those of a magazine. While subscriptions help, having a retail outlet definitely help with the sale of a magazine.

Greg,  

Niagara Hobby & Craft Mart,  3366 Union Road, Buffalo, NY, 14225-5110

is out of business. They closed after 32 years.

Niagara Hobby.JPG

• 1 year later...

Great-Lakes-Train-and-Hobby-Logo.jpg

About our company

Great Lakes Hobby and Toy was founded over 30 years ago as a major craft distributor. Over the years we have transformed ourselves into one of the largest hobby and toy shops in the Midwest. The store is over 10,000 square feet and contains more than a million dollars in inventory. We pride ourselves in carrying the finest products at discounted prices. We have over 35,000 unique items in stock. The incredible product selection allows us to have something for every person in your household. We have everything from dollhouses for mom to trains for dad and microscopes for your daughter and a plentiful selection of Thomas the Tank products for the brother. Much of our success is attributed to our employees and customers. The inventory is constantly changing based upon the needs of our customers and the knowledge of our employees. If it’s a hot item, our store will have it! In addition, our friendly staff is available to help solve all your hobby needs, from building model kits to train layouts to flying a plane or a kite. We have the knowledge and products to complete any hobby project. We welcome your family to come visit our store to run our 256 square foot train layout. Kids of all ages will love it

Great Lakes Train & Hobby
43055 Van Dyke Ave, 
Sterling Heights, MI 48314

Email:

Contact@greatlakeshobby.com

Phone number:

586-254-1600

If they don't have it you probably don't need it.