Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is the method that I use if painting on an untextured surface.

wood002.jpg

Use two or more colours, put some drops on a mixing surface side by side and apply a broad, flat brush, picking up the paint across the end and mixing ever so slightly.

Apply the paint in a single (if possible) brush stroke. The 'wood-grain' will magically appear! A bit of experimenting with colours and technique should give you the end result that you are looking for.

If the surface has a 'wood' texture then I would start with a medium colour followed by a darker wash and then a lighter dry-brushing, or reverse, depending on the darkness of the surface grain desired.

Printed doll's house flooring may also be an option or printing something off the interweb and making your own sheet or even a decal.

In armor modelling wood is quite common. What I do is paint an acrylic base coat of a yellow tan color. When dry I smear around a small amount of burnt umber oil paint with a short bristled brush. I let this dry, then flat coat the whole thing. This gives a good replica of unvarnished fairly new wood.

If I'm looking for varnished wood, I'll do the above and lastly brush on some Tamiya clear orange. It's glossy so I may spritz on a bit of flat after that.

Sometimes it helps to first increase the grain or add grain altogether. I usually use my saw blade and drag it haphazardly across the "wood" surface. If this is the case I'll thin the oil paint and wash it into the pattern.

Real wood though, is the best................

G

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my first attempt. I painted it yellow to start,the a light coat of black wash,the transparent orange.the more coats you add the darker it gets. I liked it this way so I left it as is. I can always add more transparent later. The sun sure brought out the yellow, it's not really this bright yellow. "Let's go Surfin'"! :lol:

SurfWoody003.jpg

SurfWoody002.jpg

Guest Gramps-xrds

Here's what I do.

Mahogany is about the easiest wood grain ta replicate. Ya need some red oxide primer, burnt sienna, and burnt umber acrylic artist paint. Give whatever ya want a coat of red oxide and let it dry.

DSCF1322.jpg

DSCF1324.jpg

Next give it a good wet coat of burnt sienna and don't worry about gettin it even.

DSCF1326.jpg

Now take some burnt sienna and burnt umber mixed and fairly wet add some dark areas and take your finger and smear it in one direction.

DSCF1327.jpg

Now let that dry and take more burnt umber and sorta dry drag it across it. If ya get a little to much on, wipe it with yet finger.

DSCF1328.jpg

Do this until ya get it the way ya want. Now give it a couple coats of clear and yer done.

DSCF1329.jpg

Makin Oak is very similar. Use a tanish base coat and Raw Sienna and burnt umber. The grain pattern on oak is a little different but can be done in the same way.

It's just that easy my friends.

Dscf1308.jpgDSCF1314.jpg

Press Ctrl and + to enlarge the pix and Ctrl and 0 to reduce it back.

• 2 weeks later...