Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Dukes of Hazzard 1/16th scale Charger

Dragline

Not so much a review but a look see into the box that a great many have been waiting for. The kit clearly shows it NASCAR heritage, but what's here is inviting and nostalgic.

Let's take a look.

An Iconic Image if ever there was one. Say what you will about the lowbrow slant of the show, its popularity cannot be denied.
4i0yns.jpg

Upon opening the box you are greeted to this. Perhaps ALL WHITE plastic would have been asking too much?
xbg139.jpg

I am by no means an expert on Chargers, but this looks preety darned good to my eyes. Weigh in experts.
2ypj51l.jpg

2el7ead.jpg

zivqqq.jpg

Next post

The chrome on mine is quite flawless and the molds have probably been cleaned up a bit. Those wheels will need to be stripped.

3313k3m.jpg

Interior is spartan but isn't that how they ran it? DOH experts weigh in here as well.

x5b1ab.jpg

Looks like some of the NASCAR pieces are missing here? The seats look good after a cursory glance.

1zeh9h0.jpg

Tires are quite nice and the tubing will surely suffice.

23vje53.jpg

MORE black plastic.

jpenb6.jpg

Final post

Edited by Dragline

FINALLY the decals and windows.

I'll let you all make the determination if the decals are correct.

99i1xz.jpg

I have some Huggar Orange in my stash for this car. I was looking at Tamiya orange but it was just too bright.

Let the opines begin.

Bob

Guest Sickfish

I've got the original of this kit & it appear's to be exactly the same  Cost me quite a few $$ about 15 odd years ago! I'll obviously be grabbing a couple more of the new versions 

Pro-Tourer Charger... Swa-eet!  I know it'll take a bit of fabricating to make a stock Charger but in reality the General was an x- NASCAR stock car so I don't see a problem with anyone who builds the kit as-is 

Cheers Cliffo 

I wouldn't say i'm an expert on the general but this kit looks... well.. okay

But for me these are the bad points, and i mean no offence but i wish the manufacturers could recitfy this:

-Roll cage sits at least 2-3" (in scale) lower than the 1:1 car

-01 Graphics are far too wide, should be skinnier

Good points:

Much more detail in the engine bay and exhaust components then the 1/25th scale version

just my two cents anyway, witha bit of effort it should look great. I find the transfers in these kids are incredibly forgiving too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this kit too, only molded in orange and black. bought it several years ago at a swap meet. no box, but I believe it's all there. I'm planning on making mine into a NASCAR Daytona.......someday. LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello gents,

New to the board today, but a frequent flyer on a similar Nascar and Diecast Police car board. I have just started to work on this kit and built the original one about 30 years ago. It is the same kit, save for the molded white body, as opposed to orange. In terms of accuracy, it is grossly lacking from the tv version because it is basically a carry-over from the petty racecar. However, it was always touted as a former Nascar racecar and during the shows run, despite its street car appearence, was considered to be Nascar Circuit ready. We all know different, especially if you are a long-time Nascar fan, as I am. Anyway, I am building this car to have a more streetable appearence, with some racing goodies thrown in. I am fabbing up an engine bay that will also contain some of the chassis and suspension bracing. I will also attempt a back seat and center console. I have already fabbed up rough wheel house inserts to correct the front fender openings. I am going to add a full exhaust system and try an come up with a solution for a rear view mirror(s)and wipers.

Edited by Rdkingjay

• 4 months later...

I just opened my doh charger, and wow, its something i need bigger tiresand wheels and a blower that blinds any1 under 5'8, the tv car was simply this, a hemi charger with welded doors shut, how did uncle jesse and cooter, daisy or boss hoggs fat but sit back there, my bad, there was a roll cage but every time cooter and the dukes worked on it it was a norma car under the hood, i was too eager to get crankin on it since my othr 3 are awiting parts or drying time i failed to notice the tube front end and no back seat and even the fender wells, lots of great parts, great kit dont gt me wrong, but not the general lee, ask sean william scott and johnny knoxville, oh wait ive been in a real gen. lee, prudo auto museum if ur ever on i-90 in s.d in prudo, 5 mile from the neares weed. lol great kit but wrong job 1/24 scale is closer just not as cool, im trying to find a blower and paint mine..no im not...i love it so will everyone else, i was didappointed for 3.9 seconds till i saw that 1st competition orange fog.hobby modeling!

It has potential, given a hell of a lot of work... I have zero interest in a DoH model (when I was 12 maybe, but certainly not now), but it would be nice to have a big scale Charger.

Round2 could never modify this kit into a stock Charger, considering what a sales guarantee DOH kits are, but it sure would be nice if they did. I think they'd just be better off starting from scratch, but even a Daytona variant would require a new body shell, so we'll have to be happy with RMR's conversion.

Edited by Casey

Maybe not- seeing as how the car in the show was said to have been a former race car (but wasn't IRL), maybe making this stock (or at least closer to stock) would actually help to widen its appeal- to both DOH and factory stock builders. Leave the NASCAR-spec stuff in it, and that's at least three genres the kit could cover.

• 2 weeks later...

..What all does that Daytona conversion include and are there any 1/16 road race car kits available?

From RMR's 'site: Nose, Fender Scoops, and Wing (Uses General Lee)

I'm not sure where I found this, but I believe this is a pic of the master, and you can see the nose, scoops, and wing parts at the right:

daytonaconv-example.jpg

There are a few Japanese kits in 1/16 scale, but I doubt much would be good for use on a '69 Charger to be honest.

Edited by Casey