Model Cars Magazine Forum

37 ford truck grill

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy one?

• Sure would!
    • I may consider it.
    • Not even if I got it for free!

Not that I want to open myself up to target practice but... I did a little more work to it & was wondering if you all liked it better without the lower valance? I cleaned up the inside as well. I think it looks better; do you? Any & all comments welcome.

Did I just hear a riffle cock? :rolleyes:

IMGP2812-vi.jpg

IMGP2813-vi.jpg

As Jim pointed out, it isn't a copy of the REVELL kit part, so the whole thing about Revell and copyrights and whatnot seems like a moot point. Sheesh- look at the photo and it clearly isn't the Revell piece! :lol: And since it doesn't have the Ford logo or script on it, I don't see any issues there, either. How many members of Ford's legal team do you wager even know what a '37 Ford truck grille looks like, anyway? :)

"What's funny here is; everyone is assuming that it's a copy of the revell kit. It is not. To be perfectly honest I was in the local Rite aid and my kid picked up a car & said "daddy can I get this?" "Sure can but I get the grill!" I replied."

It's still a copy.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you are making the '37 grille Jim? I need one for a project. Send me a PM if you are and let me know the price of it and the shifter.

There are rules, of course:

Trademarks, however, can be a different story, and often are: FORD is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company, when applied to an automobile or truck, or parts therein. Years ago, Ford Motor Company blanketly would not even allow reproduction parts for antique Fords to carry the Ford script (ever see reproduction hubcaps for a Model A or Model T that read "FOOL" instead of "FORD"? That was the result (Ford saw the light, saw that people restoring old Fords correctly was a good thing, about 1970 or so, but that is the history of it.

Chevrolet trademarked, over the years, not only Chevrolet, but Chevy, Bowtie, USA-1 and numerous other names and nicknames.

Art

At one time, I, and another person who sold T-shirts with car drawings on them, had a discussion with the possibility of doing cars without the names or model names on a given car. In other-words there would be no "BelAir" or "Chevrolet" call outs on the art. GM pretty much told us that even the shape of the car is their property and we would still have to pay a royalty or licensing fee. This would have been my own artwork of the car on the shirt. Similarly, my father's 1961 Chevy wagon had three original wheel covers and one that was just a tad different. Where the word Chevrolet would have been, it was a series of little dots or circles with the bow tie replaced with a rectangle surrounded top and bottom with a dash or line slightly shorter than the rectangle. It was a part from JC Whitney.

The protection granted to US manufacturers is dependent of their defending any and all infringments of their trademarks/copywrites no matter how small, hence their seeming nitpicking. They have no choice if they want to keep the protection granted by the relevent authority.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick word about the parts I sell on "FEEBAY" I strongly encourage anyone that is going to buy from me that they should do it off ebay because I can do better on the price. I have had to adjust things because now ebay is charging a separate fee for shipping. Unfortunately I make almost nothing on these parts as it is so I have had to pass this on to the customer. I sell a couple of $2 items and after all their fees I'm lucky to get $1.25. Now add the cost of purchasing to product in the first place and you can see my profit margin. As I have stated before I really don't do this for the $$. If I did I would have been out of business a long time ago. I will be putting this on several boards so sorry if you have to read it more then once.