Model Cars Magazine Forum

DIY Hemi Orange?

For some reason the MM Hemi Orange has metal flake in it. I've checked out the 1:1 Challenger and cant see any flake in it. Does anyone know the orange/red ratio to mix your own?

Most of the posts I've seen on this subject recommend:

Dupli-Color DE1652 CHRYS Hemi Orange Engine Spray Paint

Testors Spray Hemi Orange 3 oz 28107

Mike,

The Duplicolor is ENGINE paint and non-metallic. The Hemi Orange body color that Dodge used is a metallic paint and not correct for engines.

Marc

Really! I'll have to take a better look at the car down the street tomorrow. I could have sworn it was non-metallic

Thanks guys

Mike, I have the Revell Challenger painted in the Testors Custom Lacquer Hemi Orange. If you want, after photobucket stops playing around and I can bet back in my photobucket account, I have some pics taken of it if you'd like to see how it turned out.

Mike, I have the Revell Challenger painted in the Testors Custom Lacquer Hemi Orange. If you want, after photobucket stops playing around and I can bet back in my photobucket account, I have some pics taken of it if you'd like to see how it turned out.

Sure, I'd appreciate that!

Sure, I'd appreciate that!

Not a problem, well except for photobucket's problems! :P According to what it says for my photobucket, I might be able to get back in it tonight, but if not, hopefully I will be able to get back in tomorrow morning. :lol:

Guest Sickfish

I have to agree, Testors MM Mopar colour range has way too much metallic flake in it, particularly Hemi O & Plum crazy. I went to a local Auto Paint mixing store & gave them the code for Hemi O & had them mix a tin for me. While the counter guy was adding the colours he mentioned that there is quite a bit too much silver flake & suggested he put less in the mix. Well he was spot on & I personally think what I got was perfect Hemi O for scale modeling... Here's my Ferrari California painted in the Hemi O I had made... 2 coats colour, 3 clear, wet-sanded & polished out...

e8b6185e.jpg

824ec08b.jpg

85342b15.jpg

Cheers Cliffo 

You probably thought I forgot about you Mike, but I didn't! Whatever the "hardware problem" Photobucket was having, in the case of my account, it took them a week and a half to fix! Anyway, since I can FINALLY get in it again, here are the pics I promised of my Challenger with the Testors Custom Lacquer Hemi Orange.

HPIM1615.jpg

HPIM1514.jpg

I also found without the clearcoat, it doesn't look half bad for the engine color, either. The engine and the underhood area of the interior are both just the color with no clear.

HPIM1582.jpg

HPIM1583.jpg

EDIT:Sorry about the second pic being blurry, that was taken before I learned how to use the Macro setting on my camera! :lol:

Edited by highway

Looks good Matthew, doesn't seem to be much metal flake in it, if any. When I use the MM Lacquer, the flake seems to be really dense , but as mentioned earlier in the thread, the effect seems to be subdued by clear coat. I picked up a can of Hemi Orange from Canadian Tire the other day. Looks good as well .I like'em both, thanks guys!